Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Finally decided to buy a new mini 2 yesterday, seems to be the better deal than the 3.
Was still sealed and everything.

Finally opened it up today and it has 2 big dents on the back.. where is the quality control? ...seriously...

will bring it back tomorrow. most likely opening the next one in the store...

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I've definitely decided not to buy the mini 3. I'll keep my original mini, for travelling, and buy an air 2 for home.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I'm going to be buying my first Mini and have opted for the Mini 2 over the Mini 3.
I don't need the finger print sensor nor the NFC chip for In App purchases.
All other specs are pratically the same.

Then considering that I'm planning on buing a 64gb iPad Air 2 as well, which will cost more than the 16gb model, then I'd rather put the money towards that.
And if I want to make in App purchases using Apple Pay then I can use the iPad Air 2 for that. :)

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
Now apple Will say "people have stopped buying the iPad mini, so we've decided to discontinue it."

I sure hope they won't. Hopefully enough people will at least buy the Mini 1 or 2 to make it worthwhile for them. Maybe by the lack of interest most people are having for the Mini 3 they'll beef the specs up some next generation. It doesn't have to be the exact as the Air but at least the same generation chip. I love the size too much to see it go. Fingers crossed!

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
got my dented ipad mini 2 replaced. now i can finally use it...

very happy with my choice so far. upgraded it to 8.1 and made another reset, just to be sure its a clean install. runs very good so far.

this might just be the best value apple device. especially now that the mini 3 doesnt offer much more.

big upgrade to my old 1st gen nexus 7. higher resolution and the screen feels big in comparison - mostly because it's wider.

never used the nexus 7 much (because of the low resolution giving me eye cancer and because it was slower than my iphone 5)

after that, i decided to start with the entry ipad. if i happen to use it alot and apple decides to make a real upgrade to the mini, i might upgrade next year. unless i'm so happy i dont need to.

but it's definitely the perfect size for me, because for "real" work i still need a macbook and for portability the mini beats the air.

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
Bought an iPad mini 3 (64gb, WiFi, gold) yesterday and am loving it. Upgraded from an iPad 2. I've heard that the mini 3 isn't "much of an upgrade" over the iPad mini 2, but I was happy to pay the extra money for the 3 for Touch ID and the gold colour option alone. This is the first iDevice I've ever had with Touch ID. I don't care about what CPU it has or how much RAM it has and whether spec-wise it's better value for money over its predecessor. I care more about how it looks, how it feels, and what it's like to use overall compared to my iPad 2. I'll be mainly using it as an eReader (Flipboard, Zite, iBooks), for music, and general web/email stuff.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This makes no sense to me. If it's a person's first iPad Mini why should they spend $100 more for the same device (sans TouchID)?

The only reason would be if the Mini 3 has 2GB RAM.

If the iPad mini 2 was worth $399 to people last year, I don't see why the iPad mini 3 can't be worth $399 to people this year.

Definitely not to upgrade. But I can see first time buyers wanting TouchID and the gold option to buy it. I paid more for a little less last year when I bought my mini 2.....I guess I was an idiot then.

That being said, the mini 2 (particularly refurbished from Apple) is the best DEAL/VALUE out there right now. For $250 (refurb price) you really can't go wrong.

I traded in my wife's first gen mini for a refurbed 2nd gen. Well worth it. And only cost me an extra $50 (ironically the difference in price between them now).

----------

Bought an iPad mini 3 (64gb, WiFi, gold) yesterday and am loving it. Upgraded from an iPad 2. I've heard that the mini 3 isn't "much of an upgrade" over the iPad mini 2, but I was happy to pay the extra money for the 3 for Touch ID and the gold colour option alone. This is the first iDevice I've ever had with Touch ID. I don't care about what CPU it has or how much RAM it has and whether spec-wise it's better value for money over its predecessor. I care more about how it looks, how it feels, and what it's like to use overall compared to my iPad 2. I'll be mainly using it as an eReader (Flipboard, Zite, iBooks), for music, and general web/email stuff.

Here's an example of what I said in my post. Glad you like it! I loved my mini 2 but the 6+ kinda negated the need for a smaller tablet. Bought an Air 2 and it's absolutely amazing. Won't need to upgrade my tablet for a while now.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
In an of itself, the Mini 3 wouldn't be a terrible deal, but in a world in which you get the Mini 2, refurbished, for 150 Euro less, it is an atrocious deal.

But it doesn't matter, just calling it '3' and making it available in gold will ensure that it will sell like hotcakes. iDiots are like Willy Loman, it's all about appearance over substance.

True colors shown - thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

jellybean

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
But it doesn't matter, just calling it '3' and making it available in gold will ensure that it will sell like hotcakes. iDiots are like Willy Loman, it's all about appearance over substance.

To some people, appearance IS substance. Some people hold specs and capability in higher regard, whereas look & feel is more important to others. Neither way of thinking is right or wrong, and doesn't make someone an iDiot. It's just different personal preferences.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If the iPad mini 2 was worth $399 to people last year, I don't see why the iPad mini 3 can't be worth $399 to people this year.

Definitely not to upgrade. But I can see first time buyers wanting TouchID and the gold option to buy it. I paid more for a little less last year when I bought my mini 2.....I guess I was an idiot then.
I don't think you're an idiot. I hope that I didn't say anything to imply that you were. $399 was the price for the iPad mini 2 last year. That iPad mini 2 can now be purchased brand new for $299. $399 was a fine price last year, $299 is even better now.

$100 for the TouchID (only difference between the 2 and 3) is not worth it in my opinion. If someone wants to spend $399, I'd recommend moving up to the next storage option on the 2. More storage adds value... again, simply my opinion.

That being said, the mini 2 (particularly refurbished from Apple) is the best DEAL/VALUE out there right now. For $250 (refurb price) you really can't go wrong.
nice.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
got my dented ipad mini 2 replaced. now i can finally use it...

very happy with my choice so far. upgraded it to 8.1 and made another reset, just to be sure its a clean install. runs very good so far.

this might just be the best value apple device. especially now that the mini 3 doesnt offer much more.

big upgrade to my old 1st gen nexus 7. higher resolution and the screen feels big in comparison - mostly because it's wider.

never used the nexus 7 much (because of the low resolution giving me eye cancer and because it was slower than my iphone 5)

after that, i decided to start with the entry ipad. if i happen to use it alot and apple decides to make a real upgrade to the mini, i might upgrade next year. unless i'm so happy i dont need to.

but it's definitely the perfect size for me, because for "real" work i still need a macbook and for portability the mini beats the air.
Maybe you mean Nexus 7 2012 because the 2013 was 1080p and had a perfect screen.

----------

I traded in my wife's first gen mini for a refurbed 2nd gen. Well worth it. And only cost me an extra $50 (ironically the difference in price between them now).

----------

Here's an example of what I said in my post. Glad you like it! I loved my mini 2 but the 6+ kinda negated the need for a smaller tablet. Bought an Air 2 and it's absolutely amazing. Won't need to upgrade my tablet for a while now.
Because they're selling you a 1 year old tablet for the exact same price as when it was new LAST year.

Basically, since the Mini 2 and 3 are exactly the same tablet (except for a new home button) what you're really asking is

"The Mini 2 was worth $399 to people last year, why can't the Mini 2 with a new home button be worth $399 to people this year"

Does that make sense to you?

They should've never had an iPad Mini 3. They should've said, this year we are keeping the iPad Mini with its gorgeous retina display AND this year we add Touch ID.

We are also,offering the Mini this year starting at $299 and added a 128GB model.

That's all they had to say.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Maybe you mean Nexus 7 2012 because the 2013 was 1080p and had a perfect screen.

thats why i wrote 1st gen...

but my post was not about the nexus at all. its really just about me being happy with the mini 2.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
they should've upgraded it with the new Wifi ac at least but they didn't.....

the wifi on my iPad mini 2 is crap....did they fix this issue with the new iPad mini?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
they should've upgraded it with the new Wifi ac at least but they didn't.....

the wifi on my iPad mini 2 is crap....did they fix this issue with the new iPad mini?

I agree, they should have put AC in it, and last year too. The iPhone 5s should have received AC as well, IMO.

However, the wifi on my Mini 2 (both of them) work just fine.

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Just to add my bit, my path was:

- ipad 1 (amazing at the time)
- ipad 3 (retina)
- ipad mini 1 (loved the size, could deal without the retina)

Then just as the mini retina arrived, I started traveling for four months, and didn't make sense to buy a new gadget. I thus thought I'd stick it out until October this year for the mini 3.

As the mini 3 wasn't upgraded, like everyone else I then looked at other options

- ipad air 2 (much thinner and lighter now, amazing screen)
- returned 3 days later
- bought 32GB mini 2 refurb for 379AUD/335USD
- while looking to sell my 32GB mini 1, came across an amazing 2nd hand deal for a 64GB mini retina, 13 months apple care, smartcase, screen protector, for just 400AUD/350USD! Couldn't believe my luck
- Sold my mini 1 for 350AUD/310USD

So now I just need to return my refurb, and for the first time I saved a whole heap on upgrading, so a silver lining.

Oh, and I just had to get rid of the anti-glare screen protector on the 2nd hand one - really ruins the retina. Plus side is the screen was in mint condition though.

Last edited:

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
It's basically my iPad mini 2, except they want $100 more for touch ID.

No, no, no, and no, with a side of no, a dessert of no, and a take home bag of no.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
I must be one of the few who is going from the iPad mini 2 to the iPad mini 3. I have always loved the minis form factor compared to its larger brother. However, I was completely underwhelmed with the iPad mini 3 at the keynote and I thought I would try the Air 2. It arrived on Monday and I was blown away by the speed, screen and thinness. However, I still kept reaching for my mini and as I travel lots with my iPad, the Air didn't quite fit the bill. Thought about keeping both but decided against it. The Air 2 is going back.
I have the 64gb cellular retina mini and need 128gb as only got 6gb left. I also would not require the cellular now with the automatic hotspot from my iPhone in iOS 8. There is no 128gb mini 2 on refurb store here in UK. Therefore I am going for the mini 3 128gb wifi now that is the price of last years 64gb. I should get a good price for my mini 2 as its in good condition and will probably only spend £100-£150 to double my memory and get a new tablet with Touch ID.
Like I say, I'm probably one of only a few doing this.

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
I must be one of the few who is going from the iPad mini 2 to the iPad mini 3. I have always loved the minis form factor compared to its larger brother. However, I was completely underwhelmed with the iPad mini 3 at the keynote and I thought I would try the Air 2. It arrived on Monday and I was blown away by the speed, screen and thinness. However, I still kept reaching for my mini and as I travel lots with my iPad, the Air didn't quite fit the bill. Thought about keeping both but decided against it. The Air 2 is going back.
I have the 64gb cellular retina mini and need 128gb as only got 6gb left. I also would not require the cellular now with the automatic hotspot from my iPhone in iOS 8. There is no 128gb mini 2 on refurb store here in UK. Therefore I am going for the mini 3 128gb wifi now that is the price of last years 64gb. I should get a good price for my mini 2 as its in good condition and will probably only spend £100-£150 to double my memory and get a new tablet with Touch ID.
Like I say, I'm probably one of only a few doing this.

I also upgraded from Mini 2 to the Mini 3. I too was disappointed by the upgrade that I initially bought the Air 2 but I missed the mini's size so I returned the Air 2 and bought the Mini 3. Hopefully next year they'll make the specs a little closer to the Air's. Until then the Touch ID upgrade will have to do. I'm personally a huge fan of it after first using it on the 5S.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
For me, the responses are somewhat short sided, in that they do not reflect what is being done on the iPad and whether Touch ID makes what is done, easier or has no effect.

I use my IPad to receive work related stuff. Work installs a profile that requires frequent entry of a passcode. Using Touch ID reduced the number of times the passcode needs to be entered.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Anybody still going to buy the Mini 3?

If money wasn't an issue I would consider buying a mini 3. Just spent over $1,000 on the iPad Air 2 128gb cellular after you include a 2 meter cable taxes and smart case and considering buying a 6 plus outright and sell my note 4. Might see if I can get a used or refurb mini 2 for cheap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.