Anybody still shreadin on a PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rj-300zx, Jul 18, 2009.

1. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Just curious. Upgraded to a smaller screen just recently. Still seems fast and still looks new. In day to day tasks it seems just as fast as any new Mac i've tried, its just a lot cheaper.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. rj-300zx thread starter macrumors regular

rj-300zx

I'm a snowboarder from Colorado, I've gotten 2-3 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours. Excuse me for having a lack of decent vocabulary at this time. :p

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't think he was questioning your vocabulary, he didn't know what you meant by "shreadin" and neither do I, care to elaborate? It's hard to answer your question when we don't know what you're talking about.

5. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Does anyone still use the powerbook to this day, without taking a role on to the new ones is what he meant.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I thought all Mac users were 'hip' and 'cool', clearly this is not the case. :p

But really, my dad still uses a 1.25ghz PowerBook G4 every day. He could really use a new computer though.

7. Apple all life macrumors 6502

yea how old are you guys :D

8. California macrumors 68040

California

I am. I downgraded from a unibody Macbook aluminum back to a 12" 1.5ghz powerbook.

Size reasons: it is the smallest laptop Apple has ever made.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'm using my 12" 1.33ghz PB :) Can't beat the size.

Still enough for me.

10. schalkse macrumors member

I am still on a 17inch G4 1,33Ghz. It turns 6 in september.
    Is my usual upgrade cycle.
    Am waiting for clarksfield or whatever the next generation will be from Intel.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would still have my iBook G4 lying around if it wasn't stolen... One of my friends still has a Powerbook, but he bought a 15" uMBP just the other day so I don't think that counts. :D

12. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Nothing beats the 12" PowerBook!

There isn't really any small and powerful MacBook Pro anymore.
    The 'good old days' where desktop and mobile Macs shared the same CPUs are long gone. And small and powerful these days is likely a physical impossibility.

I would have liked a 15" MacBook Pro with 1920x1200 resolution and a quad-core CPU, but that's not going to happen. At least not this year.
    In the end I decided to get a Mac Pro and won't be replacing my PowerBook with a newer MacBook. The 13" MBP isn't really powerful enough and the 17" is no longer mobile enough.

For the occasional mobile computing I'll keep shreadin' on my trusty 12" PowerBook - and hopefully for a long, long time!

My PowerBook turned 5 in May. I got a new battery recently which gives me a couple of hours on one charge again. So it should last me another 2 years hopefully.
    Or at least until Apple releases a similarly small MacBook Pro with dedicated GPU.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although the OP is using street lingo of a teenager :p, I still think this was actually a really good thread. It totally blows me away how some of the geeks on this forum will dump their year old Mac in favor of the latest and greatest as if their current machine is completely unusable. It's great that some of you here including the OP still use the old PowerPC Macs. IMO, they were better built back then, unfortunately not as fast or as powerful as the Intel Macs but I think they were much better when they were Powerbooks and iBooks. ;)

14. rj-300zx thread starter macrumors regular

rj-300zx

I am a teenager. There ya go. I just don't see why for the average person somebody needs 2 cores. For gaming, and hd movies etc. I see why its a must. Yet, for day to day tasks, my friends and I have timed the PowerBook vs. a new MBP and a slightly older one and it holds its own on things the average laptop user does. Such as opening Word, Firefox, and iTunes. I should make and post a benchmark graph though.

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

+1

Why do some people have 8 core Macs and dual 30" screens just to check their email and skype? Yeah they may open up photoshop every once in a while but I guess if you want to spend all that money on something so powerful, be my guest.

Kinda reminds me of the older guys that buy Corvettes. Too much power to ever use it or maybe to compensate for something else? Who knows. To each their own.

Like it says in my Sig, PPC is still enough for Me and that's all that matters, I'm the one that uses my computer.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uh yes, my PowerBook is taking a long time to shred; everytime I put it in the shredder it gets jammed up.

No I actually sold my 12" PB 2 months ago. It wasn't powerful enough for me; yes back in the day when I was running 1 app at a time it was fine, but now I have 3 browsers with half a gross of tabs, 2 email clients, constant content streaming, apps that don't get closed (out of habit), I need a fast[er] computer.

17. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

LMFAO!!!

I was waiting for someone to say something like that!

Damn aluminum jammin up the shredder.... plastic shreds so much easier!

18. California macrumors 68040

California

Kingspec makes 2.5" SSD hard drives, PATA, for powerbooks.

This is a great speed bump for the 12" Powerbook or any size Powerbook, for that matter, as well as for any size iBook.

19. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I just upgraded from my 1.25 15" G4 PB this past June to a 2.8 GHz MBP. My PB turns 6 in December.

The G4 PB is still in use by my brother who only uses Office and Browsing+Mail. Great computer still.

20. macJC50640 macrumors regular

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im from colorado too and snowboard yet i would never shred on a powerbook. would probably break it

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well, I do have a 12" PowerBook G4, although it is not my main computer. My MacBook Air has taken over most of the duties of the PowerBook.

23. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We just bought two new MBP's ... 13" and 15".

That being said, we still have a G4 Powerbook and a G4 iBook in daily use ( more or less ). Other than buying batteries neither has give us any trouble.

24. rj-300zx thread starter macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Who cares? Do you have any idea how fast you can get down a hill on a peice of polished aluminum :D.

25. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

LOL . . . My 6 year old 17" PB G4 is still used on a daily basis.