Anybody who has a bumper, does it scratch your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, May 4, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Does it actually protect the back? If not why do you like yours if it doesn't prevent from scratches?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It protects the back and front by elevating them when you set them on a surface. It won't protect it if something touches the glass.

It also can scratch the metal band and the edges of the glass if dust or something else gets in there.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I prefer the bumper because it's simple and classy. I would seriously recommend using a Spectra wrap under the bumper though, the bumper works like a set of jaws on meat. The band can easily be left blemished if you don't clean the bumper often enough.

4. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

+1 on the Spectra wrap.

5. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

The bumper has scratched my metal band a fair bit, but if you regularly clean it then you won't have this problem. Besides you can always just put some selotape around the edges then chuck the bumper on, would protect it just as good :)

Like mentioned above, the bumper elevates the phone so it has a lot more grip, both in your hands and on surfaces, though it's clearer not the best case for protection, but personally I find bumpers the perfect option for bit of protection, grip and style while keeping the original feel as much as possible.

6. brayhite macrumors 6502a

The bumper makes the phone feel complete to me. Otherwise, it feels slippery and prone to accident.

As stated already, the bumper doesn't protect the back, but does elevate it which is generally good enough for protecting the back of the phone. I've couple my bumper with a matte finish wet-install back cover and it looks rather sharp if I do say so myself. No screen cover though.

The bumper will scratch the band and leave black marks along it, but usually they can be wiped away. Only complaint about it thus far is that it's taken a beating and the rubber edges of the bumper are starting to peel away. May be time to buy one (since this one was free :D)

7. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Yes the bumper has scratched the metal band around my phone and my friend's phone.

8. iKrl macrumors regular

It does scratch the metal band, if you get it in any color except black it will get very dirty, if you pull your iPhone from your jean pocket it will start to deteriorate the elastic part of the bumper and not all headphones fit with the bumper on. However, it has saved my iPhone several times from falling and breaking and I think it's the nicest cover there is out there. Besides I got it free with the bumper case program so I really can't complain :D

9. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

I have slight scratches on the metal band from the bumper like others have said.

Rick

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Urgent!

I have Spectra wrap around the steel band

Im reading about people saying the bumper took chunks out of the plastic?

is this true

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I think my bumper has minimally scratched the metal band on mine but it's not noticeable unless you look closely for it, and then only barely.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

What about the plastic getting chunks out of?

13. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

What do you mean?

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The bumper hasn't done any damage whatsoever to my spectra wrap. Although taking it on and off often will slightly damage the wrap so I would advise against it. Continuous removal will rub the spectra wrap off slowly.

15. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I've had my bumper since the Verizon release. And I had the same questions after reading reviews about it scratching the metal band, but I went for it anyways.

I can say after 3-4 months of using it - It has NOT damaged my phone AT ALL.

Maybe the new universal bumper changed a few things? I don't know. But I love my bumper (black) and it has done me well and has yet to deteriorate or anything.

The bumper completes and protects my phone. It keeps the design too.

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Oh, if that's what you meant then I have no idea, I don't have any kind of wrap or skin on my phone, I go commando under my bumper

17. roflc0pter macrumors regular

He meant the bumper removing or damaging the spectra wrap or any protective film on the band.

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ya I just took the bumper off once to see any damage and it messed us the very bottom next to the left speaker. No idea how, I put this spectra wrap on perfect. I dont care about it messing up the spectra, just that the steel band wont get scratched even if the spectra wrap is protecting it

19. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Guys wouldn't this be an issue with any case that get's dust/dirt between it and the bumper/case? In other words, why is the bumper more prone to scratching the band than any other protective device that allows dirt in?

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I don't use the Bumper (I'm a Grip Vue fan), but the guy next to me at work does, and his iPhone 4's antenna band looks like absolute GARBAGE now. The top of it in between the power button and headphone jack is almost all black, and the rest of it is almost as bad. Surprisingly enough, he uses no screen protection and has no scratches on the back or front glass of his phone.

21. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Yikes. That's why I've held off on getting one. The Genius at the Apple store near me said the new ones are fine. But I'm reluctant...

I'll hold off, or check out that Spectra Wrap stuff.

22. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Take a pic of this and post it if you can. I'd like to see it.

23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

The bumper will eventually scratch your antenna no matter how much you clean it...it's not a dust issue it's the hard plastic on the inside of the bumper

24. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

This issue with the bumper scratching the antenna is a pretty well known thing. Do you think the 2nd gen bumpers that Apple now makes still have this issue or do you think Apple is ignoring this fact?

25. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I doubt it, its still plastic brushing against metal. Many bumper style cases are known for this. I've actually had experience with this issue.