Anyone able to get their AT&T upgrade fee waived?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xTRIGGER092x, Sep 21, 2013.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

Last year I did it no problem (thanks to guide on here), but I just did a live chat with an AT&T rep and no dice. I was asked why I wanted to waive the fee and I assume "Just wanting to cut costs" was the wrong answer, because I was then told "we are not able to credit upgrade fees just because." Anyone had success this year?

2. trek360 macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in hearing any success stories too.

For the 4s launch I did it in store and the CSR called a number and asked on my behalf. Not sure if that is still an option.

3. Becact macrumors member

I called and asked right after getting the phone, didn't work. Weird, it's the first year they haven't done it. I'll keep calling until I get someone who does it, though.

4. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I did, for both my wife and I. The CSR advanced both eligibility dates by a year, saved me $500. I suspect it has to do with how long you've been a customer (15 years) and how much you spend per month (my typical family plan bill with 4 heavily used iphones averages about $230).

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It worked for me last year when I told them I was going to cancel and move to Verizon.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

My AMEX got charged only the cost of the iPhone, but the online receipt had an upgrade fee and tax TBD. I ordered through AT&T Premier site. Did you guys get charged for the upgrade fee in your card or in your bill? Maybe when I receive and use the phone I will get the fee charged?

7. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought too, but I've been a customer since 1999, have two iPhones (and one dumbphone) with unlimited data and texting, and a TV/Phone/Internet bundle through AT&T. Maybe it's just who you talk to.

8. Becact macrumors member

They always add it to our bill. Phone always cost 199, 299, 399 plus tax. Then the $36 is on next months bill.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Thanks, that is what I thought I remembered from two years ago w/ the 4S when the next month bill was like $20 more, it was only like $19 not the $36 though, I for one think the upgrade fee should be waived or at least 1/3 of it if you are ordering online. I guess if they decide to charge me tax for the phone on the next bill I will complain and tell them to waive my upgrade fee, never have requested one and I have been w/ them since before it was them w/ cingular & I'm 'premier' lol.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've never been able to get that waived and I've been pretty persistent.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

They shouldn't waive the fee. The God damn fee shouldn't exist period!

They're essentially charging us $36 to flip a electronic, virtual switch in their system. Biggest rip off ever. I wonder if change.org can start a petition to kill off blatant customer rip off fees.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Got mine waived. Asked them as a one time courtesy (even though I ask every time I upgrade..) Just tell them I'm a long time customer, pay bills on time. Don't need any assistance ordering or activating my phone do don't see why I have to pay the fee. They've always waived it.

13. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

And you think that "virtual switch" was free ?

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Mmmm yeah. It's certainly not worth $36 to change a value of a field in a database.

15. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

And that database cost Verizon thousands of dollars and the manpower that run it. I love it when people that have no idea of how to run a business speak there opinions they feel that they can dictate how much a company is allowed to make.

16. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that poor little mom&pop operation is barely squeaking by, and they're saving those fees up to send little Jimmy to college!

AT&T probably spends tens of millions to tweak its logo a little bit. I'm so pissed at all the idiots who wouldn't want to pay $19 for the Logo Revampification fee. Don't they understand how a business works?!?

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I got AT&T to waive half my fee. Not entirely sure why only half, but hey, its better than nothing!

18. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You post cracked me up. You love it when people that have no idea how to run a business bitch about blatant rip off fees? Have you considered maybe it's because I DO know what I'm talking about that I'm bitching about it?

You apparently know exactly what's up though; Mr. It takes thousands of dollars to run the DB. Yeah, thousands... that's all. :rolleyes:

Obviously you have no clue how a DB is run so I don't even know why you chimed in. Point is, flipping a 0 to a 1 or adding a serial number into the DB does NOT need to cost $36 per device when you consider the hundreds to thousands of text messages that are sent each month, tracking call logs, billing issues, etc. for just one person. The DB works WAY harder on all those other stuff; more so than just registering your device.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, but I think consumers have already covered that cost with their monthly payments. Unless you are telling me that 300MB of data really costs them $20 among the other things they blatantly rip people off on, which is basically everything.

20. Chopstick217 macrumors regular

Chopstick217

I was able to get 2 upgrade fees waived today via online chat. I just told them Ive been a long time customer (since 2002) and also pay my bills on time. It took a little persistence, but in the end, I was able to get it waived :)

21. DustinDev47 macrumors 6502

DustinDev47

I just got a partial credit. They credited me $25 if the $36. $11 is certainly better than $36!

22. mattymo macrumors newbie

just got off of ATT chat and got mine waived...

just said I was a long time customer and had corporate discount, was just giving it a shot... they said it was a one time thing. (i did it last year too!)

23. dasams macrumors member

dasams

Same here. The CSR said he didn't have authority to waive the upgrade fee but that he'd be happy to credit $30 toward next month's bill. So I paid a whopping $6.

24. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

They waived it for me in the beginning of this year, then when my phone was stolen they moved my early upgrade by two months so I could get a new discounted device so I didn't ask them again.