Anyone Actually using multiple watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MJBarnes, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MJBarnes macrumors newbie

Hello, all.

I understand that the Apple Watch does not specifically allow you to swap between watches; however, is anyone using multiple watches on the same Apple ID and swapping back and forth?

If so, does it work pretty well? Is everything transferred to the new watch when restores? App layouts? Apple Pay?

Let me know your luck when swapping back and forth between watches, if any. Thanks!

2. fania123 macrumors regular

fania123

Everything transfers for me except Apple pay, but only takes a minute to set up so no biggie.

3. MJBarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity, how often do you switch back and forth? Apps and data sync? Layout of the icons? etc?
    Thanks!

4. fania123 macrumors regular

fania123

Maybe once every couple weeks, and yes all my stuff stays the same only the Apple pay needs to be reapplied.

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

What are you switching between? SS and Sport?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's quite annoying to get notifications from CC companies every time the the cards are removed and added back, even for unpairing/re-pairing.

Hopefully Apple will make it possible to pair multiple watches to an iPhone sooner rather than later.

7. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Yes, I wish they'd only send them the first time a card is added, or if it's added after being removed for xx number of days. I get letters (three pages plus a leaflet) from three of my cards every time.

8. fania123 macrumors regular

fania123

Yes

9. MJBarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

JayLeno & Shortcrust - Are you guys switching between multiple watches as well? Have you run in to any issues?

For those that are... Do you have multiple 3rd party apps installed?

10. MJBarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, is there a way to force a backup of your current watch so that you can restore to the new watch whenever?

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes. When you un-pair, the watch makes a backup on your phone.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not, but it's still annoying to get Apple Pay card deletion/addition notifications from CC companies after each unpairing/re-pairing.

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Why? I use the SS for working out and any activity really, if you're so worried about scratching or breaking it, get Apple Care and never worry again

14. fania123 macrumors regular

fania123

I have the SS and the gold sport, with AC on both. I'm not concerned with scratching or breaking I just like the two different styles.

15. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Sorry, no. Just jumping in to have a moan!

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

This would be kind of cool. While I love my SS, I could have fun with the rose Sport as well.

17. MJBarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Fania123 or anyone else "watch Swapping", can you give me the exact procedure that you use to do this? I un-paired my sport and tried to pair my SS and it set it up as a brand new watch and never gave me the opportunity to restore from a backup...

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. Thanks!

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've swapped out mine to my wife's watch using my backup. You need to restore from a backup rather than set it up as a brand new watch. E.g., if the second watch is a 42mm and the last backup is from a 38mm, you select the backup titled "Your name's Apple Watch - 38mm case - SS (or Sport) - date of backup". Vice versa when swapping back to 38mm using the most recent backup from the 42mm.

19. MJBarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response... It never gave me the option to restore from backup. Here is what I did.

1. Unpair current watch
    2. scan the new watch via the iPhone camera
    3. It sets up as a brand new watch

I thought it would give me the option to restore from a prior backup. What part am I missing? Thanks!

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This shouldn't happen. Check that a backup is actually there by going to Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under Storage) > Apple Watch app.

21. MJBarnes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I checked and the original one is there. I wonder if it is because the one that was backed up was on OS2 and the one that was new was on OS1?

Maybe I will try it again and see what happens. When I unpair a watch using the watch app on the iPhone, I am assuming thats when it makes a backup?

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, that's the culprit. Set up the new AW as new and update it to wOS2, then unpair it or do an erase all content and settings. When you re-pair it, you should be able to see the backup since it'll be on wOS2.