Anyone agree that Slate should still be an option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cammyg123, Sep 25, 2014.

1. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

So I was looking at my iPad mini with Slate last night, I thought to myself that it was such a good looking scheme of colors, and then I looked at the iPhone 5 and thought the same thing!

Any one else agree with me that Apple should bring back the slate color scheme on their devices?

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I really liked the slate coloured iPhone 5 (that's the one I had). The space grey is too light and that's why I'm going to get either a gold or silver iPhone 6 (still making up my mind on that).

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yes, 100%. I love my 5 in Slate. Don't like the "Space Grey" as much. (And where the heck did they get that name.....?)

:apple:

4. ozshadow macrumors regular

Maybe the S revision will go back to Slate. It would be a good way to distinguish them.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah, I loved the colors. I think they moved away from that because scratches were more noticeable.

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm all for options, but I personally wouldn't get slate again. The finish wasn't durable and the scratches were a nightmare.

7. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

Space Grey has been a staple BMW paint color for 15 years and since most iPhone early adopters have high-end luxury cars it is a nice nod to German build quality.

Most people put their iPhones in cases, you can get this great Spigen case in Slate today if you want it (I have it, I'm a Slate fan, it looks great).

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Case-Spigen-Hybrid-4-7-Inch/dp/B00LL6XSX8

BJ

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"Slate" on the iPad is still Space Gray, only that it is darker than the 6/6+'s Space Gray.

iPhone 5's Slate is much darker, almost black.

9. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

I was not very happy with the space grey color, I was wishing it was darker, I loved my slate black iPhone 5 :(

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While Space Gray isn't my favorite, it is the only option that has a black front which I like much better than the white front.

11. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Yep! I have the space grey 6+ and I think it's lame. It's too close to silver, so why have both?

Slate or black would have been a better option.

OT: I've been playing with the gf's gold, and it's now my personal fav. colour. Looks trick. Don't know why they called it gold though, it's a bronze/champagne sort of tone. Calling it gold just attracts muppets who'll instinctively call it tacky regardless of how it actually looks.

12. Truthfulie macrumors regular

If they can figure out how to make the coating more durable, yes totally. I was sad to see it go.

13. Jman13 macrumors 68000

The original mini had slate as a color...almost black. The retina Mini has space gray (and then they replaced the original mini with space gray as well at the same time the retina mini came out). My original mini was slate. My Retina Mini is Space Gray.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Thanks for the clarification. Thought the OP meant the darker Space Gray on iPad vs. the much lighter Space Gray on iPhone 6/6+.

Yes, I'd love to see them bring the Slate option back. Keeping fingers crossed for the iPhone 6s.

15. caligurl, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i loved slate! when i had my slate phone all it needed was a matte skin.... didn't want to cover up the beauty of the phone! *sigh*

i don't care for space gray.... i have it covered with a hot pink skin.... much better!

16. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Who has a slate grey phone?

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Obviously meant the lighter Space Gray on iPhone 6/6+.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

19. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Slate gray was awesome so was the white iPhone 4S.

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I like both colors, but then again, I've always liked pewter and space gray is basically pewter.

I did love my slate phone. Also loved the black, back in the day.

21. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

The Slate iPhone 5 was my favorite iPhone and I've owned plenty of them. Something about luxury products being murdered out like that makes them look so slick. I don't mind my space gray 5s though, it's definitely grown on me. Would still rather have slate.

22. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I wish I was one of the most

My £800 Ford Fiesta is just fine :)

I loved my iPhone 5, don't like space grey

23. noiceT macrumors 6502a

24. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Obviously I knew that.

25. CoilTap macrumors regular

Indeed, I would like to have slate back. I like that the iPhone 5 was just a sleek black thing. The space gray is too shiny and weird. I'll be putting a black case on it.