Anyone been billed for tethering on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rocwiff, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rocwiff macrumors newbie

Hello I usually don't post here often, but I just noticed something strange when I logged onto my AT&T account today. It says I have over 500 unbilled data records. I can't seem to find any info on what this means. My next billing cycle just started today and I don't recall seeing this on there yesterday. Does anyone know if this is related to tethering with the recent hacks that came out? Has anyone with an iPhone on AT&T been billed for tethering with this hack before? I'm a little worried about my next bill so if anyone out there knows what this means then please post it. Thanks! :)

2. bwlucas macrumors member

If you're tethering like a maniac I could see this as being feasible. I only tested out the feature for 30 minutes and later checked my data log. It showed a 10MB use for those 30 minutes compared to the usual .5 to 4MB data flow using just the iPhone. So I would assume if you're just sucking bandwidth then it would be quite apparent to AT&T about what is going on.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

There is no way AT&T can figure out whether you're tethering or not, unless you're torrenting and downloading huge files all the time. If you're just casually browsing, it's no different than doing this from your phone's browser.

4. njl macrumors regular

i've been curious as to what some of the responses will be..

5. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

There are several ways they can figure it out. Some attributes are changed when the phone goes from having the data streamed to it to the phone being used as a modem and sending all the data to the computer in question. Another way is looking at the amounts. Most people will use their computer more than their phone browser because it's faster, has a physical keyboard, and is easier on the eyes. More use means more data streamed to the computer.

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Not just this, but at&t is not stupid. If you went from using only 200mb-230mb every bill cycle, then jumped to 2gb 4gb they will bill you. Ive seen it happen.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Hopefully tethering still works tomorrow because I will be uploading a ton of pictures

8. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

gradually increase data usage to 10GB/DAY ftw?

9. rocwiff thread starter macrumors newbie

My usage has been just regular web browsing for the last few nights, definately not dowloading large files or torrenting. I would Not say it's been excessive. I only used a little more than 300MB total including all usage from my phone. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has been charged by ATT for this because I haven't heard of anyone yet? Does anyone know what that unbilled data message actually means? Thanks for all the relies BTW!

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have over 500 unbilled data charges as well

had the tether app and used it for like 2 seconds and then restored my phone however

i want to say that the unbilled data charges are sms and data from plan that hasnt been charged yet

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I tether with PDAnet all the time, usually just browsing, I barely even reach a gig for the monso unless you're doing some off the wall tethering, there is really no problem

12. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i've had netshare forever now and no, they've never billed me anything extra. as long as you're not going insane on your computer you'll be fine.

also, the iphone has a soft-cap at 5GB. So even if you creeped up to 3-4 GB they'll send you a warning before they'll bill you anything extra

13. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

At&t can't define what the packets are and therefore can't tell wether it's phone or PC activity (not that there would be a difference if just browsing). They can only base activity on the amount of data transfered, and even then.... it's an "unlimited" data plan.

14. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Other than looking at the average data consumption, how would you distinguish a connection through PDANet, or you browsing with mobile Safari? There is no way, other than by looking at the average data consumption.

15. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Packet analysis, people. The amount of data used isn't the important part.

16. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

At&t can't.... it's all packets to them. He just pulled that one out of his rear end. As you said, they can only base it on data consumption.

17. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Yea, but I doubt At&t has invested in that type of technology. Way Way expensive. It would be cheaper for them to invest in more throughput.

18. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Packet analysis takes quite a bit of resources. They're not gonna waste their time doing packet traces unless they suspect something from the user. (I work on systems engineering for cellular networks).

19. superxero3 macrumors regular

couldn't they juts look at the time to live? the TTLs sent from a computer tethering through the iphone is going to be one less than the TTL sent from the phone itself. When I'm tethering, the USB interface on the iphone has the ip 192.168.20.1 and my computer has 192.168.20.2, because those are unroutable addresses, my phone has to be acting as a router and therefore decrementing the TTL. Although, because the IP becomes routable the phone might be doing something weird with NAT and keep it at the same TTL value.. any thoughts?

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Read his post:
    there :p

21. mathnerd macrumors newbie

AT&T cant see into your private network (the 192 network between your computer and the phone) they simply see the packets originating with the IP of your iPhone on their network. The internet resides on such a dynamic network that trying to keep track of TTL is useless. An issue with a single link anywhere between you and AT&T's POP could add or subtract to the "normal" TTL.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm sure Apple worked out something so that there is an obvious difference in the connection so that the carrier can bill accordingly.

So for those using PDANET, AT&T probably can't tell.

But for those enabling the new Apple supported tethering, I'd be very afraid. All it would take is for the OS to change MAC addresses base on the connection type (standard data vs tethering.)

It's not hard guys....to assume they can't tell is not only naive, it's just plain foolish.

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No but I have been tethered by a guy named Bill who works for AT&T.

:cool:

Packet analysis is not very useful if you are using a vpn.

24. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

That is what I meant in my last post. I just used plain English for the TC to understand better.

25. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Could it be that since the iPhone does really have tethering yet that our accounts arnt even set up to detect things like this. Just like our accounts are not set up to enable MMS?

Idk, just throwing it out there lol:p