Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Since I started using in-ear style earphones, I can not go back to the traditional style. The free Apple ones usually stay in the plastic wrap and go to whoever buys my Apple device. I use Sennheiser cx300 II's. Love them. Comfortable. Wonderful sound quality. Fits the iphone 4 with bumper. Affordable which is great because I inevitably step on them, smash the cable in my car door, and get water/sweat in them. My current pair has lasted a year of abuse which is remarkable. And they're only $15 on ebay (beware of fakes), so no big loss if I lose a pair.

EDIT: Turns out the ebay ones I bought were fakes. Seller gave an immediate refund. Lesson learned. $15 is probably too cheap for real CX300II's. I bought a real pair for $29.99 on Amazon last year. It's hard to tell the fakes from the packaging. The give away seems to be the little pouch that comes with the earphones.
http://portal.fakeheadphones.com/index.php?topic=386.0

Last edited:

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
CE's are all about accessories... so no it does not surprise me.

But like others said... who on Earth (buying an iPad) does not have headphones. Honestly though.. I rarely play music on my iPad. When I use it in the city I still listen on my iPhone so when I leave the coffee shop and head back to the office... my music is still on.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
No headphones I get, it's not being marketed as a music player. BUT I agree that it should have come with one of those black cleaning clothes the MacBooks include. They aren't half bad.

Wow just looked in my MBP box and I have a cleaning cloth. Never knew this, thank you!

and Nope never bothered me. Didnt even check or think about it once until this thread.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
FYI, my wife got an iPad (Gen 1) from her school through a special education grant and it came with a Black Microfiber cloth the size of the iPad display with the embossed Apple logo on the bottom.

Maybe Apple only includes it when purchased through bundles, like they provide school districts.

Technohead

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Forget the crappy headphones Apple usually supplies, I am thrilled that it came with a charging cable that allows you to charge it via an electrical outlet and/or computer! Used to have to shell out at least 30 bucks for these devices for my Touch and Classic.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
Since I started using in-ear style earphones, I can not go back to the traditional style. The free Apple ones usually stay in the plastic wrap and go to whoever buys my Apple device. I use Sennheiser cx300 II's. Love them. Comfortable. Wonderful sound quality. Fits the iphone 4 with bumper. Affordable which is great because I inevitably step on them, smash the cable in my car door, and get water/sweat in them. My current pair has lasted a year of abuse which is remarkable. And they're only $15 on ebay (beware of fakes), so no big loss if I lose a pair.

Agreed. i use the Kilpsch S4i. More expensive but i love them. Amazing sound quality and sound isolation. Also has controls on it for the iphone.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
The headphones that come with the apple devices are mediocre at best.

If we spend this much on a device, we should one use decent headphones.

couldnt agree me. plus they stick out to everyone - Look at me - I have an iDevice!

my $300 shure in ear phones were an indulgence that was well worth it.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
With such a huge fingerprint prone screen, a cleaning cloth would make sense, I actually liked the one that came with my iPhone 3G (come to think of it, I'm not even sure one came with my iPhone 4? :confused:)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I demand a cloth, a case and a nice table and a latte.

Quoted for awesomeness, well played my friend. :)

I can't believe nobody here has mentioned that the original iPad didn't come with any of this stuff either! and I remember opening the box when it came out and being taken aback by the lack of headphones, so I understand the new owners current reaction, but in truth I got over it pretty quickly for all the valid reasons scattered throughout this thread.

Here is another one for you. The original Apple iPad case was not packaged with a cleaning cloth either, the one mentioned above with the Apple logo on it. I didn't get one, as they only started including the nifty cloth a couple months into the production run.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Does it bother anyone else (like it does me) that the iPad 2 doesn't come with a cleaning cloth nor headphones?

Now granted, these are neither expensive nor high quality versions of said objects, but that only annoys me more with any argument that they would add too much to the final ipad 2 cost, to include.

I paid over 900 bucks (including taxes) for a 32 GB 3g version, and I have to buy headphones and a microfiber cloth to clean the damn thing (oleophobic my butt)

Otherwise, I'm a very happy camper with my ipad2. (well, I did return that "smart" cover... for reasons of scratching my week old ipad2) grrrr....bad apple!

I agree with you in many regards. Though it doesn't exactly bother me, I would think that for such an expensive item, Apple should have thrown in the following:
• Headphone/Mic combo
• Power extension cord (I'm not talking about the brick but about that extension cord that plugs into the brick)
• maybe a cleaning cloth or at least a simple sleeve case

Probably what "bothers" me the most is Apple not including a power extension cord. C'mon! The brick's cord is NOT long enough!

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
No headphones I get, it's not being marketed as a music player. BUT I agree that it should have come with one of those black cleaning clothes the MacBooks include. They aren't half bad.

You're right, it's not being marketed as a music player. However, given that it is marketed as a video calling device, one would imagine that there would be times when we'd want the conversations to be more private, so the headphone/mic combo should be included.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
They don't even include microfiber cloths with the MBPs and MBAs anymore. :(

No they don't.

I remember when I got the original MacBook Air, it came with basically all the dongles and accessories one would need except it didn't come with the SuperDrive. It came with:
• Micro-DVI to VGA dongle
• Micro-DVI to DVI dongle
• USB to Ethernet dongle (actually I'm not so sure of this one but I think it came with it)
• Micofibre cloth

junker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Agreed. i use the Kilpsch S4i. More expensive but i love them. Amazing sound quality and sound isolation. Also has controls on it for the iphone.

Sounds good (pun intended) I'll check those out.

Interesting points and responses, and while I didn't know that the first gen ipad didn't come with it, I'm still irritated by this action on Apples part - At least a microfiber.

And from one response regarding what should've been included - ie: the sleeve, I agree, that would've been nice as well.... and I had thought about that at one point, but I felt it be asking too much since it was infringing on the secondary market of sleeves and cases. I guess the argument applies to the earphones as well.... but the lack of the microfiber is too much! :) Seriously though, it's a surprising absence nonetheless.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
It doesn't bother me because I prefer to select my own cloth and ear phones. Apple has done a good job of keeping the price down on the iPad. They probably had a price point to keep and put the money toward the essential parts of the iPad. If they sold a deluxe version of the iPad that came with slip case, cloth, earphones and charged an extra $100 for it, I wouldn't buy it.

Reminds me of the last car I bought. Floor mats were an expensive over-priced option. You would think they would just throw in the floor mats because you are buying the car. But they have to have it this way so the sales person can let you have the $1200 floor mat option at no charge to make you think you are getting a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.