Anyone bought a MBP from in store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gelatin, Mar 3, 2008.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

not online, just wondering how many of you have done this. if so could you post what configuration you bought please :)

2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

15" Matte, 2.5Ghtz, 250GB (5400), 2GB Ram, 512MB Video

3. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Bought the same 15" as Hls811 did, 2.5GHz CPU, 512MB VRAM, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD.

Subsequently had to return twice, for issues. But now its working perfectly and upgraded to the specs listed in my sig. :)

4. sjb macrumors regular

I also bought the same 15" in the store.

I'm curious about your upgrades though. How did it go? RAM is easy, just curious about the HD upgrade. What issues did you have with the first 2?

The only problem I had with buying in the store is the nearest store to me is in another state (a state with higher taxes) so I paid $60 more in taxes and my 1 hr drive time to go get it. But, we all know how it is. I needed my instant gratification :)

5. RatSalad macrumors member

I bought the same config. Going to to the ram update soon.

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Upgrade was rather easy for the most part. I know its definetly not for everyone. Basically take off 21 screws (includes taking out the ram), then pop-off the top cover slowly. One cable attaches from the lid to the logic board (for the keyboard/mouse/power button). After that take off two screws holding the HD, then slowly take it out and disconnect the sata wire (it is taped onto the HD). 4 screws on the HD that must be moved to the new HD, so it can be mounted. Now just put everything back together.

As for the first 2 I had, the first one had a somewhat defective fan, making noise as soon as you powered up the laptop... rather easy to hear. Second one had the yellow tint problem on lower 1/3-1/4 of the screen as well as fan issue too. 3rd one I'm on, perfect. :)

I know what you mean about instant gratification. As soon as it came out on tuesday I went out to buy it. Only problem was, didn't have much time to play with it due to work. I actually exchanged it twice yesterday... although I decided to go to different Apple stores... lol. Thankfully there are 3 within about 2 miles of me. :D

7. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Bought the entry model on Saturday. Wow, what an improvement over my 2.16ghz MacBook. It is actually noticeably faster at pretty much everything, and the matte screen is really great. Haven't had any issues whatsoever.

8. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

15" Glossy, 2.5Ghz, 250GB (5400), 2GB Ram, 512MB Video

bought mine yesterday at the local Apple store in Orlando, FL

9. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Bought the entry level MBP in a store. Had to switch it out 3 times due to different issues. Hopefully this one is all good. Also upgraded the ram to 4 GBs.

-JoE

10. honeycrisp macrumors regular

3 times? Wow, that's a bummer. What were the issues exactly?

11. KC2 macrumors regular

Bought the entry level MBP, Matte in Atlanta, GA. I was going to get the student discount anyway, so I figured why wait for shipping online. Kind of an impulse buy, but damn well worth it!

12. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

15" Matte, 2.5Ghtz, 250GB (5400), 4GB Ram(crucial), 512MB Video

Bought it from an apple store in Houston, works great no fan or tint problems. Memory upgrade through crucial was fast, cheap, and easy. I may upgarde the HD later but I have no plans as of yet.

13. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

1st time my mouse would respond really slowly and my pointer would jitter across the screen. Genius couldn't figure what the cause was so they swapped.

2nd time was my letter 'c' wasn't working all the time. I wouldn't be able to surf the internet because i wasn't able to put in the com.

3rd time was similar to the second time, except it was the letter 'v'. I tried to deal with it until I need to copy and paste a lot of things. Apple swapped it again.

Now i'm on my 4th laptop. So far its been 4 days and its been all good. Hopefully it'll stay like this.

-JoE

14. EricVT macrumors member

Apple advertises the following

17" Hi-res matte
    512MB GPU
    2.6Ghz CPU
    200 GB 7200rpm HDD

in their retail stores for $3199, yet none of the retail stores that I visited had this model in stock. I ended up just ordering the same thing online with a 2.5Ghz CPU and spent that $250 I saved on a new wireless keyboard/mouse and some adapters and software I wanted.

The worst part of this was that I made calls to both Apple stores before making the drive (one 70 miles away, one 85 miles away) and both told me they had what I wanted in stock. Then when I got there the person I had spoken to on the phone wasn't around and the other workers told me they DIDN'T have them in stock! Really irritated me both times (especially the second time, unbelievable), so I hope I don't have to make any more trips to any more of the retail stores.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

King of Prussia PA store

MBP 2.16ghz C2D Matte screen with 1gig of RAM. Walked in expecting a MB, walked out with a MBP and my dad footing the bill:eek:

16. tlbuildeng macrumors newbie

exchanges in apple store?

Does anyone if you purchase a macbook pro from amazon and if its defective whether it can be taken to an apple retail store for an exchange?
    Or does it need to be returned to amazon.

17. pazreal macrumors regular

It seems that I hear/read a lot of reports of defective products here... is it because we as a group are self selecting as people with problems? I wonder what the % rate of problems in the aggregate are?

I'm waiting on a MBP as we speak but alas it will not come from a store since I live 4 hours from the closest one (Seattle)

18. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I got it 3 days back.
    The base config - 15.4" glossy 2.4 GHz, 3 GB RAM (just added another 2 GB stick- 2GB + 1GB now).
    Noteworthy that this one is a replacement after the 1st one turned out to have a defective airport card (wireless throughput was pathetic)
    Enjoying every moment with my new machine. We have a long journey ahead :)

19. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

i just want the 2.5 or 2.6 250gb 17 inch hi res
    called all 3 new york stores and they say they dont have it :(
    has no one managed to get a hi res one in store?

20. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Going to, but can you also buy the 2.6Ghz 15inch in the store, or only the 2.5?
    Is there a big speed difference?
    Thanks in advance

21. Chitoneus macrumors member

I understand that people come to a place like MacRumors when they have problems, which can exaggerate the quality control issues one sees here, but still--for one person to have to go through four computers to get one that is satisfactory is rather alarming.

:eek:

22. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I KNOW!!! After I went through the first two, I figured maybe the store got a bad batch or something. So I went to another apple store for my 3rd laptop. Bam!! Another defective one. But this one i'm currently using has been good to me so far. At least the genius didn't give me a hard time as I was telling them my story while handing them 3 receipts with exchanges on them. hehe

-JoE

23. RiverX macrumors newbie

15" Glossy, 2.5Ghz, 250GB (5400), 2GB Ram
    Purchased last tuesday :)

24. zamboni52 macrumors regular

15" Matte/2.6 Ghz/200 GB 7200 HD. Bought last night! Just ordered 4GB upgrade from OWC for $95.

25. matperk macrumors 6502

Same here. Picked up Tuesday of release.

I called morning of and both stores in town were out, then one of them said they had just gotten a shipment, but it wasn't unboxed yet. I was able to pick one up around 5:30p.