Anyone broke Iphone glass with case on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric Isaacson, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I'm just curious if any of the people that have broken the glass on their Iphone had a case of any kind on? And if you had a case what kind was it. I've been looking a lot at cases lately and I wonder if even some of the cheap cases would provide enough protection to the glass. I'm guessing the silicone cases may provide less protection and hard plastic more (at least as far as breakage goes)

Thanks in advance for your input

Eric

2. wheelhot macrumors 68000

Its not easy to break the iPhone glass, search around for PC world iPhone test, they test how durable is the iPhone.

It took them about 3 times of dropping the iPhone on tarred road to get the screen to crack.

3. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.

I'm still interested in the people who did break the glass, and if they had a case on?

4. rafayj macrumors newbie

I dont think you would find anyone who has broke his glass or something. The protector gives the screen enough protection and the protector is kinda soft type so i doubt if anyone would have broke his screen with the protector on.

5. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

well my friend dropped his down a few concrete stairs and got a small chip on the glass. He had an Incase Slider on his but no screen protector. When he picked it up he noticed right away the small chip near the home button. and then his iphone was frozen (it would not answer the incoming call). When he got home he noticed some very fine scratches on the glass and his iphone was not responding normally (kept freezing up). Lucky for him he was able to get a refurb exchange (well not lucky because the refurb has fine scratches on the backside).

So he is now looking for a protective case and will put a screen protector on.

Now this drop was extreme and the fault of his own pulling the iphone out of his pocket in a hurry while running down stairs so.. its not a likely situation i think.

6. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the first story of broken glass I've heard of when someone had a case on. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has broken the glass on their Iphone when they've had a case or screen protector on it.

7. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I think it really has to depend on the case.... Some cases like the SGP ultra thin don't cover the chrome bezel.. therefore if you dropped your phone it's basically like dropping a nake iPhone unless it falls on its back..

have you narrowed your search down to a couple cases?

8. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using a Griffin Iclear but my wife has a silicone case on hers(don't remember the name) and I'm a little worried about her phone if she would drop it.

Do you think any case that covers the bezel pretty much will save the glass?

9. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I actually didn't break the screen with my case on, but something got into the case and chipped the corner of the screen. When I pressed on the screen, a crack formed from the home button to the bottom left side of the screen.

At least the apple store replaced it for free!

10. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

What kind of case were you using and do you have any idea how something got into the case?

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I broke my iPhone glass and had to get a new one.. but it didn't have a case on. (NOW it does though!) :cool:

12. surfer99 macrumors 6502

13. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for that info. Is that an all silicone case? I wonder if a hard case would have helped.

14. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Yea it is a silicon case. I could not tell you if a hard case would of helped but I will tell you I was very surprised that it cracked in the way it did. I thought the extra silicon in the corners would of protected the screen. I had dropped it twice before on the concrete and nothing happened.

15. locifcan macrumors newbie

my iphone once fell from the upper berth, but it's fine. amazing

16. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd love a little more information, did you have a case on it, how far of a fall was it, first Generation or 3G Iphone, can you tell how it landed (face up, corner etc)

Thanks
    Eric

17. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

How exactly did you break the glass screen with the case on it.

you should be able to send it to an applestore and they can replace it

18. gowanis macrumors 6502

get a case like the piel frama magnet flipper that covers the screen. i don't understand all these cases that cover the back of the phone only.

[​IMG]

19. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I was using a Belkin Pull-tab holster (Like the small size, and hate the silicon cases). No idea what ended up in my pocket as I always keep keys/coins/anything else in my other pocket. I never found the culprit, but it definitely happened while in the case. I am guessing I either had a piece of sand (maybe from when I was golfing?) that ended up in my pocket, made its way into the case and between pressure of walking chipped the edge of the screen. Very strange though as their wasn't any scratches on the screen. It did happen on the side of the phone that was near the opening of the case.

20. unixfool macrumors 6502a

It is pretty easy to break the glass on that phone. I broke mine on asphalt from the seat of a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The very first time I dropped it (on a tarred driveway), it shattered bigtime. IMO, that's not durable. I've dropped several other phones and they were nicked on the casing but the glass was OK.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The only phones with a glass screen are the iPhone and T-Mo G1...

22. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

the g1 is glass too?

Anyways my cold case was a marware sportskin, which is silicone and i dropped my phone about 4 feet onto a tile floor and it survived, now i have a speck toughskin on it and my phone is basically a brick now, but ill take bulky over broken

23. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Almost EVERY phone I've had had a GLASS screen...yes, I know what glass is and when it is actually glass. That has to be the most wrong statement I've read this week.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Weld 1 inch of plate steel as a cage and 6 inches of gel padding around the iPhone and someone will still manage to break the glass.

I have faith in people's abilities to destroy things with their innate clumsiness.

25. Eric Isaacson thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't doubt this, but the reason I started this thread is I really want to know if it is possible that even the cheapest hard case may protect someone's $400 investment. I'm also trying to see what the minimum case is that someone can get by with, or if I find a case doesn't really protect the Iphone then I guess I'll remove my case and go naked ;)