iPad Pro Anyone buying both 10.5 and 12.9 iPad Pro's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dave Meadows, Jun 24, 2017.

  1. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

    Dave Meadows

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #1
    I currently have the new iPad Pro 10.5 and last years 12.9 Pro. Love them both. What I'm thinking of doing is sell last years 12.9 and buy the new one. Crazy money, crazy idea but, so what? I love em both.

    Anyone else buying both?
     
  2. Jesla macrumors 6502a

    Jesla

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2013
    Location:
    Tennessee USA
    #3
    Already did...

    12.9 512GB SG and a 10.5 64GB SG
     
  3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #4
    I could totally see owning both. I don't think it's a crazy idea at all!
     
  4. chfilm macrumors 68000

    chfilm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Location:
    Germany
    #5
    I was contemplating the same.. just sold my old 12.9 today and now I'm just with the 10.5 for now. I ended up not using the 12.9 at all anymore two days after I had the 10.5, but mainly because of pro motion and the Smart Keyboard on my 10.5 actually.
    So nice!

    Don't know- now I kinda miss the big screen around the house haha.. plan was to maybe get one on eBay once iOS 11 hits..
     
  5. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68030

    Dave Meadows

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #6
    Ive got the 256 10.5 and 126 12.9 so think i'd go the other way and get the 64GB 12.9.
     
  6. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 28, 2013
    #7
    Its not crazy. Just not a smart or sensible choice. But if you got the money, why not.
     
  7. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68030

    Dave Meadows

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #8
    If I can sell my 2016 12.9 Pro for £550 (in the UK) It'll only cost £300 to upgrade to the new 256 GB 2017 Pro.
     
  8. chfilm macrumors 68000

    chfilm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Location:
    Germany
    #9
    Exactly I just sold my 12.9 1st gen for 650€ today. I'm contemplating if it's wise to get the 2nd gen- and if so- at what capacity if it's mostly for home usage- but then again I might wanna use it on travels as a laptop replacement and then the 64 gig will be not enough.
     
  9. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 28, 2013
    #10
    Point proven.
     
  10. Floris macrumors 68020

    Floris

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #11
    Yes, I want to.
    No, because my iPad Air 2 is still 100% perfect, snappy, and works great with iOS 11 .. I have no reason to upgrade if the device is operating just fine.
     
  11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #12
    Will be purchasing both. And adding the Smart Keyboard for the 12.9 iPad. I have different uses intended for both.
     
  12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #13
    Certainly thought about it

    My contract is expiring in September for my mini 4 but can upgrade early so thought about taking the 10.5 for out and about but realize that I can do that with my 12.9 if needed
     
  13. ericwn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2016
    #14
    That doesn't make it sensible or clever to upgrade in my books, but life is short, why seek others' opinions - get what you like and enjoy!
     
  14. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2003
    Location:
    New Jersey, USA
    #15
    Not for me. I have a 12" Macbook for when I need a bigger screen. The iPad 10.5 for everything else.
     
  15. millydog macrumors regular

    millydog

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #16
    I have the 10.5 (512GB) without ASK and 1st gen 12.9 (128GB) with ASK. The 10.5 replaced my 9.7 Pro and I passed the 9.7 Pro to my husband. I'd like to upgrade the 12.9 as well, but have held off since I think that I might feel guilty if I upgraded both devices at once, even though I can afford it. So my current plan is to keep this combination for now and to upgrade the 12.9 to gen 3 when that comes out. I would love to upgrade the 12.9 to have 512GB and use it as my main computer (for personal use, I use a work provided PC for programming work), but I'm starting the switch now anyway with the combination that I have already anyway. If I can wait on the 12.9 upgrade, then it will make the 12.9 gen 3 even more appealing. I must say that I am struggling with the wait, but I feel like I should wait. Yes, I am still trying to convince myself to not upgrade the 12.9.
     
  16. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68030

    Dave Meadows

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #17
    Your reasons make sense to me and I think I'll try and hold off but when it comes to Apple sometimes sense goes out of the window!

    For the moment I'm loving my 10.5 and still have my 1st gen 12.9. I just think that when iOS 11 comes out it'll be awesome on the 12.9.

    The other point to consider, for me, is that if I do go fir the new 12.9 I'll have to sell my current one and that might affect the price I'll get...
     
  17. chfilm macrumors 68000

    chfilm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Location:
    Germany
    #18
    I envy your strong will- do your eyes not ache when looking at the old 12.9 after having used the 10.5? I couldnt stand it anymore and sold it yesterday and I'm glad that I did - this way at least it will be easier to see if I really miss the bigger size after a few weeks.
     
  18. Dave Meadows thread starter macrumors 68030

    Dave Meadows

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #19
    Which did you sell? And where? And how much? I'm now tempted to put my old 12.9 up for sale!
     
  19. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #20
    I have the first generation 12.9" IPP. I cashed in some frequent flyer points for Amazon gift cards with the intention of getting the 10.5" IPP w/ LTE when Amazon starts selling it. I went to the Apple Store and demo'd the 10.5" iPad and it was pretty impressive. The True Tone display really shined in those harsh Apple Store lighting conditions. I don't know if I will end up holding onto the 12.9" iPad Pro since I also have a 12" Macbook.
     
  20. cognitivefun macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    #21
    I bought both. Replacing a 2016 9.7 pro. I got spoiled with the 12.9 and its scrolling due to ProMotion and I spend hours every day with my iPad. I had bought the 2nd gen 12.9 for textbooks and Complete Anatomy application. Then I decided the scrolling and responsiveness were so impressive, that I got the 10.5. Am typing on it now. Love it, love it, it is so portable. I take it with me when I go out traveling.

    I still have a 12" rMB from 2016. And a 2016 TB 15" that is my main computer. I use the rMB to wander around and do work as I walk, but the iPads are quickly replacing that. Now when I travel I can have the ultra light Mac and the amazing 10.5.
     
  21. Works4Me macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #22
    I don't have both - I'm planning to a 12.9 very soon, but I have to admit I'd be tempted to keep my 9.7 Pro as well. So definitely no 10.5 and 12.9. For work related tasks, the 12.9 will be better, but for sheer portability, the 9.7. Alas, the budget probably won't allow me to keep both.
     
  22. millydog macrumors regular

    millydog

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #23
    I know what you mean. Sometimes the sheer fact that I'd like the new and shiny wins out over the fact that I don't need it, it's a case of wanting it. I'm still able to hold out for now, but my husband is planning a two week overseas trip with a friend and I might see that as an opportunity to get it then.....he'd be having a splurge and then I wouldn't feel as bad about splurging on the 12.9 myself.
    As for me, my devices stay in the family and the 12.9 will go to my 15yo daughter. She is into art and the only one in the family interested in the 12.9" size. That's the other (logical) reason for holding off, I spent quite a bit on the 1st gen 12.9 that I feel like I should keep it a bit longer before passing it on. My daughter will get some good use out of it too though.
     
  23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #24
    In the Bolded part of your post, that is the whole point of Tru-Tone and how it benefits the user under lighting conditions.
     
  24. aevan macrumors 68020

    aevan

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2015
    Location:
    Serbia
    #25
    If you have money to spare, why not? I would love to have both, honestly. I can't justify it, but I could totally see myself using both. Heck, I'd also buy a MacBook to use alongside my MBP if I could :)
     

Share This Page