Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
For those who have bought both 10.5 and 12.9 Pro's, what have you opted for storage? Have you maxed out on one and just bought the base model on the other? I've got the 256GB 10.5 but wonder if the base 64GB 12.9 might suffice?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
For those who have bought both 10.5 and 12.9 Pro's, what have you opted for storage? Have you maxed out on one and just bought the base model on the other? I've got the 256GB 10.5 but wonder if the base 64GB 12.9 might suffice?
Maybe it's just an OCD thing but I would need to have the same storage for all my models.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I have my first gen 12.9 iPP up for sale at the moment but I'm not that bothered if it sells or not. I would like to upgrade it to the new 12.9 if only for the true motion and the Night Shift mode that I love on my 10.5. I think that if I can upgrade for around £300 it'll be worth it. After all, next year I'll get even less for my 12.9. I suppose this is one reason for upgrading every year.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I have my first gen 12.9 iPP up for sale at the moment but I'm not that bothered if it sells or not. I would like to upgrade it to the new 12.9 if only for the true motion and the Night Shift mode that I love on my 10.5. I think that if I can upgrade for around £300 it'll be worth it. After all, next year I'll get even less for my 12.9. I suppose this is one reason for upgrading every year.

Just typing this now on my 12.9 and realize that it does have Night Shift. It's just the true tone (I think?) that the first gen 12.9 doesn't have. I also realize that the first gen is a very good tablet and that there is no real reason to upgrade. That said, and as I have before, sense doesn't always come when we're dealing with Apple!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
First gen 12.9 has night-shift which is separate from TrueTone.. TBH I can't tell the diff between true tone on my 9.7 pro and night shift on the 12.9.

True tone automatically uses white balance adjustment based upon the ambient lighting conditions in the room using four sensors on the iPad. Colors are more distinct and sharp It's not as noticeable as Night shift when activated.

Night shift is a scheduled (Or manual) warming of the iPad colors, which is fairly noticeable with the yellowish display, which makes it easier on your eyes away from the blue light exhibited from the iPad.

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
This is what I did as I started out with a 10.5" 256GB LTE then bought the 12.9" with 64GB as I plan to mainly use the bigger one only on my desk to consume media from Amazon Prime, Netflix or other streaming sites, while the 10.5" will be the iPad I use most of the time for around the house or during my commute to work on public transit.

Reactions: larzy and AVBeatMan

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Why not? If people can afford it and have a use for two iPads, I see no problem. I love that the 10.5 is easy to carry in my daily bag, while the 12.9 is perfect at home for browsing the web, watching video etc... I love the bigger display and size - but not while I'm on my way to work on the bus or train.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
True tone automatically uses white balance adjustment based upon the ambient lighting conditions in the room using four sensors on the iPad. Colors are more distinct and sharp It's not as noticeable as Night shift when activated.

Night shift is a scheduled (Or manual) warming of the iPad colors, which is fairly noticeable with the yellowish display, which makes it easier on your eyes away from the blue light exhibited from the iPad.

Thanks for posting the differences.

Night Shift rarely turns on now, I think True Tone overrides it on my 12.9". My mom was horrified when she watched me typing on the iPad Pro while True Tone was on - "That's so yellow! How do you read that?!?"

I said, "The warmer colors result in much less strain on my eyes." She was impressed, but still does not want to update her iPad 2.

if Apple releases a Mini with Pencil capabilities, I'd buy two of those in a heartbeat. Keep one at work and commute with the other and continue to use the 12.9" at home.

Reactions: 44267547

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Those in the US; What's the 12.9 Pro stock like? It's not great over here in the UK. There's a 2 week wait at Apple and the other stores seem only to get a handful in at a time? Loads of 10.5's though...

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for posting the differences.

Night Shift rarely turns on now, I think True Tone overrides it on my 12.9". My mom was horrified when she watched me typing on the iPad Pro while True Tone was on - "That's so yellow! How do you read that?!?"

I said, "The warmer colors result in much less strain on my eyes." She was impressed, but still does not want to update her iPad 2.

if Apple releases a Mini with Pencil capabilities, I'd buy two of those in a heartbeat. Keep one at work and commute with the other and continue to use the 12.9" at home.

True Tone you can have on all the time, but when enabling Night Shift (either manually or via schedule) it definitely overrides True Tone.

Ideally (in my opinion anyway), you shouldn't really notice that either is active. If I go flip on night shift right now it's very obvious. But if I'm in bed, late at night reading, night shift will be on (I have it scheduled) but I won't really realize unless I turn it off and suddenly the screen looks extremely blue.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
True Tone you can have on all the time, but when enabling Night Shift (either manually or via schedule) it definitely overrides True Tone.

Ideally (in my opinion anyway), you shouldn't really notice that either is active. If I go flip on night shift right now it's very obvious. But if I'm in bed, late at night reading, night shift will be on (I have it scheduled) but I won't really realize unless I turn it off and suddenly the screen looks extremely blue.

Thanks for the clarification. :)
[doublepost=1499383613][/doublepost]
Those in the US; What's the 12.9 Pro stock like? It's not great over here in the UK. There's a 2 week wait at Apple and the other stores seem only to get a handful in at a time? Loads of 10.5's though...

On a whim I checked Space Gray WiFi 256 (nothing in stock until July 27), and SG WiFi 512 (some stores in NYC had them in stock today). As far as Gold and Silver WiFi, nothing in either capacity until July 27.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I'm in Canada, and for the past 2-3 weeks the 12.9 was showing 2-3 weeks for delivery. However when I ordered mine it ended up delivering within a week.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Why not? If people can afford it and have a use for two iPads, I see no problem. I love that the 10.5 is easy to carry in my daily bag, while the 12.9 is perfect at home for browsing the web, watching video etc... I love the bigger display and size - but not while I'm on my way to work on the bus or train.
Yeah I agree

it's ideal if you use it equally. I mean if people use it out and about then why not. It could also be useful to have the 12.9 at home but maybe bedtime reading it would also get good use out of it.

Reactions: larzy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

This will be my exact set up as yours. The 10.5 will travel with me, while I intend on using my 12.9 stationary with the Apple Keyboard at home. Plus, I just want both.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I really tried to just buy the 10.5, and stupidly went to the store and held the 12.9 and wow I had to have it. I have been under some kind of mind controlled obsession to buy whatever new Apple comes out with and I blame Steve Jobs. I once hated Apple then I watched him introduce the iPhone, something he did or some kind of subliminal messages, I don’t know but I’m not like this with anything else. I think it’s wearing off, for the first time ever I skipped the iPhone 7, but just saying that bothers me and makes me want to run out a get the 7, I don’t even know why.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just picked up a gen 2 12.9

Not getting a 10.5 as well it would be one or the other but seriously contemplating keeping it since I got a good screen first shot and doing 9.7 pro and gen2 12.9 for different uses

We’ll see :D

unconaction

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Emeryville,CA
bought both. Use is 12.9 in the the room as laptop/consumption replacement- note light user Word, Excel, ocassional ProCreate. 10.5 cellular in bag, mobile write using word in pinch, and Apple Music @ work. As others mentioned- superb screen, 10.5 has small footprint however extended work 12.9 is a winner.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
bought both. Use is 12.9 in the the room as laptop/consumption replacement- note light user Word, Excel, ocassional ProCreate. 10.5 cellular in bag, mobile write using word in pinch, and Apple Music @ work. As others mentioned- superb screen, 10.5 has small footprint however extended work 12.9 is a winner.
I'm more tempted to do this than i was last week lol

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Have relented and ordered a 12.9 256GB Wi-Fi model for pick up on Friday. Ive been watching the John Lewis website (am in the UK) for the past week or so and it continually said "out of stock" for all 12.9 models. I checked tonight, every 5 or 10 minutes and then BOOM! In stock! My fingers trembled as I placed my order, then having to go through the payment security page..then all done! The 256GB Space Grey Wi-Fi only model was the only one in stock and just happened to be the one I was after. I've already sold my 2016 12.9 Pro for £550 so feel the £859 Ive just paid is worth the upgrade. So happy!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have relented and ordered a 12.9 256GB Wi-Fi model for pick up on Friday. Ive been watching the John Lewis website (am in the UK) for the past week or so and it continually said "out of stock" for all 12.9 models. I checked tonight, every 5 or 10 minutes and then BOOM! In stock! My fingers trembled as I placed my order, then having to go through the payment security page..then all done! The 256GB Space Grey Wi-Fi only model was the only one in stock and just happened to be the one I was after. I've already sold my 2016 12.9 Pro for £550 so feel the £859 Ive just paid is worth the upgrade. So happy!

I know the feeling. It's like the longest process ever when you're going through the checkout process to purchase a product that's completely limited and hoping the transaction goes through successfully. Glad you got one.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I know the feeling. It's like the longest process ever when you're going through the checkout process to purchase a product that's completely limited and hoping the transaction goes through successfully. Glad you got one.

Spoke too soon. Had an email off them over night saying they're out of stock and my order is on "back order"....!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
hoprfully you can enjoy both your iPads and use them both.

Enjoy your new 12.9

It really is a beast

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.