ANYONE CARE ABOUT VIZIO's iMac

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I care a very small amount. It seems that no other all-in-one can get the stand right.

I do appreciate the thinness, but I sort of doubt that they were able to fit a whole lot of performance into such a small package. The side is more than likely its best angle as well, since that seems to be all they're showing, at least pre-release. I'd still take an iMac over this any day.

Comment

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
More pics if you click Gallery.
As for the actual product, no I'm not interested if it doesn't run OS X.

Comment

JAYBEATS23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
$500 for i5 processor ,4 gb of ram, and 500 gb of storage I'm sold

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"More pics if you click Gallery.
As for the actual product, no I'm not interested if it doesn't run OS X."

It may not run OS X "out of the box", but I'm wondering if the internal chipset and components will be "hackintosh-compatible".

With a little tweaking it may be able to run OS X quite well.

Also, look at the form factor. It's an "all-in-one" per se, but the logic board has been moved down to the base. As such, the display can now be super-thin because it is -only- a display. Keeps the heat-producing components out of the back (a source of problems on the iMac, as some users have experienced "burn-like" discoloration of the display panel in the areas closest to heat-producing items).

This also cleans up cables on the rear, which now lay flat on the tabletop, instead of hanging off the back.

Since the logic board, hard drive, etc. now reside in "the base", it's probably easy to get into there -- think "hard drive replacement".

And I've often seen posts here on MacRumors about how the iMac should "lose the 'chin'". With the logic board down in the base, no need for a "chin" any more!

Comment

applefiend95

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
ugly, just plain ugly

This product can be closely tied to the Lenovo A720. it just doesn't work. if someone wants laptop quality performance with a bigger display, this product or the A720 is the way to go. keeping this in mind, the iMac is a workstation quality AIO. just take a look the lower 10%, it looks pretty much like those 13" laptop casings. also, the design is all wrong, the keyboard and the trackpad......again people with low budget and people who are satisfied with laptop quality performance with a bigger display will buy this. :eek:

Comment

Stolz25

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
I'm a little confused. If its an all in one, what's the little box sitting next to it in all the pictures?

Comment

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
$500 for i5 processor ,4 gb of ram, and 500 gb of storage I'm sold
Well knock yourself out!

Why difference does it make if it's crap? Wait until you touch, feel and experience it. Here's betting you're not getting much quality for $500.

Comment

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
This product can be closely tied to the Lenovo A720. it just doesn't work. if someone wants laptop quality performance with a bigger display, this product or the A720 is the way to go. keeping this in mind, the iMac is a workstation quality AIO. just take a look the lower 10%, it looks pretty much like those 13" laptop casings. also, the design is all wrong, the keyboard and the trackpad......again people with low budget and people who are satisfied with laptop quality performance with a bigger display will buy this. :eek:
Where did you manage to get your hands on one this early? I've actually been waiting for Visio's forway into the PC market, and thinking of picking up one of their laptops. Did you get to play with one of them too, and if so, is it built any better than the desktop?

Comment

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Vizio's iMac?
I would prefer a real iMac, not a cheap knock off
Not to mention OSX v. Windows (or Linux)

I suppose, for a hobbyist who wanted one to play with Linux it would be fine
But for me, I want the real thing and OSX

Comment

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
It looks horrible, in my opinion. Don't like the style at all.

Also, if it runs Windows what's the point.

Comment

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
It looks horrible, in my opinion. Don't like the style at all.

Also, if it runs Windows what's the point.
I actually kinda like the design. Obviously somewhat inspired by the iMac and a knockoff (which is very common with the competitors) but it doesn't look bad. Kinda looks like a TV.

Comment