Anyone carry rMBP 15" on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wonhyuns, May 15, 2013.

1. wonhyuns macrumors newbie

Anyone carry the laptop around everywhere they go? I feel like it's still too heavy to carry around to the library or work on a regular basis.

I don't know if downgrading to rmbp 13 is worth the trade off (portability vs performance).

What are your thoughts?

2. arsimoun macrumors member

15" rmbp

I carry mine everywhere. I use a sleeve with a Shepard Farey image that is a little too big (designed for a non-retina 15" machine) and throw it into my shoulder bag -- a Billingham camera bag that is nothing short of wonderful. I've got papers in there, a spare cable or three, a bunch of pens, notepads. It works swell.

My only complaint with the 15" RMBP is not its size, but that the caps lock key seems designed to torment me with its inconsistency. It probably has something to do with my hunt and peck typing style, but I often have to hit it two or three times before it works.

15"? Portability? No problem.

One man's .02

Adam Rodman

3. leman macrumors 604

I do. It could be a bit lighter, but at least it is an incredible improvement over the 15" cMBP. The 0.5 kg really makes a difference. And I don't think I would have been happy with the 13" model...

4. dkillgo macrumors member

I've been taking mine everywhere since I got it last week. Sure, it is a little larger than my old 13" cMBP, but the extra size is really not an issue. And even if the size does become a bit cumbersome sometimes, whenever you open it up and see that amazing retina display, you forget about everything else.:cool:

5. Bear macrumors G3

Everyone is going to have a different opinion of usability of the 13". For me, I would stick with the 15".

One thing that makes a difference is how you carry your laptop around. I actually used a high quality backpack from Tom Bihn for a 15" MBP. But even for a shoulder bag, the different designs can make a difference on how heavy the bag feels loaded.

6. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I take my 15 everywhere.

7. New2MacOS macrumors member

I carry my rMBP 15 everywhere. The 2-pound difference from my MBA 11 is noticeable, but not heavy as I initially feared (and I am not a big buy). I carry the rMBP 15 in a backpack, so that might explain the relative ease of carrying it around.

8. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

Caps lock key behavior

Give this note from Apple a read on this topic....

Mark

9. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I carry mine quite a bit without issue. What sold me is that it is actually thinner and the same weight as my non-retina 13" was.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

all over

I take it all over, work, travel, planes, etc.. I use a small incase sleeve, it's like a nice folio

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes its easy.

Here is how.

1. Work out every now and then (girls dig it anyway)
    2. Substitute that doughnut for a protein bar once in awhile (protein takes 20% more energy to digest)
    3. Substitute that soda for water once in awhile (keeps your blood-sugar levels low)
    4. Carry one less item in the backpack because I am a pansy? (Helps back pain)
    5. Honestly, its less than 1lb heavier than the 13 rMBP, stop being a baby. (TRU STORY)

12. macNwindow macrumors member

I go to school everyday with my RMBP 15", I always keep it in a sleeve w/ pockets for the charger and headphones. The weight is not a big deal to me unless I pack heavily (a big book).

I know what you mean with that cap lock key, but i think it was designed that way so that if you accidentally press the caps lock key instead the "a" you wouldn't have to worry about typing in all caps and then erasing it all to lowercase. If you want to turn on or off caps lock more consistently, press with with slight more firmness. You can test this, try to press the caps lock key with the the equivalent pressure you would on the [space] key when typing rapidly, you will observe that it would not turn on. Then try pressing the caps lock key with slight more firmness and you will see that it will activate with more consistency.

13. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

You are very funny. But everything you say is true. I've been working out. If you want to play you got to pay. And it works wonders. I've been drinking tons of water. Feel better than ever. Oh, and I HATE donuts. I'll take a Red Delicious apple any time. I have one weakness though. KFC. Those bastards. I walk by, minding my own business, and that smell hits me. Can't fight it. I try to keep it to once a month

I carry my 15" cMBP everywhere I go in a bag that also has my iPad and other things. Not really a problem. And in a couple of months when I get my 15" retina it'll be that much easier.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Just make sure you get the grilled chicken lol.

15. revenent macrumors regular

I take mine everywhere i go. Used to have a 13" MBP and the now the 15" and the weight feels similar...

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I carry a 15'' MBP (2.5 kg) every day. I'm ok with it, but it's a notable weight. Note that when I use a backpack instead of my messenger bag, sometimes I have to check whether the Mac is still inside, because it feels much lighter.

My wife used to have the white Macbook (about 2 kg, similar to the rMBP), and it was too heavy for her. She recently bought a 13'' Air and is very happy with the reduced weight.

17. maxosx macrumors 68020

Respectfully, anyone that feels a 15" MBPr is too big & heavy to carry daily, has a serious fitness problem. It's as basic as that.

Mine goes everywhere, even though I have a 13" MBA that I reserve for international flights. The extra screen size of the 15" is too useful for me to leave behind.

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

According to this thread the MBA shouldn't even exist. In fact, we should be making bigger laptops to get rid of all the wimps. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can carry the 15 anywhere and it's certainly better than the cMBP. But smaller laptops are more portable whether anyone here wants to admit it or not.

19. wingate.white macrumors newbie

Just finished my first year of college and mine went just about everywhere with me in a north face backpack, wasn't an issue at all for me.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I still carry 15" rmbp with me everyday I go in my messenger bag and backpack…It is little heavy than my old 2007 MBP that I could not carry anymore until I got an iPad. 13 inches is nice but small screen and less power CPU not worth for me. :apple:

21. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Daily. I have a thin incase backpack that I LOVE. The weight is so evenly distributed that my 15 rMBP and a seagate portable hard drive feel like nothing.

I love this bag

22. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Yep, and can hardly feel it. I should mention that it depends on how you carry it. I have a Swiss army backpack, and it was heavy even before I got the computer (I have to carry lots of stuff). I got a new backpack from briggs&riley that somehow distributes the weight better, so I carry what I did before, only this time I also carry the computer

23. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I have a Dell work-issue Latitude that I carry when I can. The 'road warrior' warranty on it is such that if I break it someone shows up at my office the next day and rebuilds it from parts. I don't have that luxury with my personal MacBook.

That said, there are days when I just really cannot bring myself to use (another gods-damned) Dell, and the Retina MacBook 15" has to tag along.

Now here's the funny thing. The 13" Dell (a Latitude 6330) weighs almost exactly the same as the much larger MBP. It's a little more one-handable, but not much. If I weren't as concerned as I am about keeping my personal machine pristine, I would carry it everywhere and leave the Dell on its cradle.

24. BL4zD macrumors 6502

This is what I found, too.

I was initially concerned (especially since I had *just* laid out a hundred bucks for a timbuk2 bag for my 13") but it fits in the bag and I barely notice the size difference between the two if there even is one.

Now if the older 13" MBP was larger than you'd like then the 15" might be an issue. But if it was just about perfect size (I thought I would *never* leave it behind) then you have nothing to worry about.

25. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Same sentiment here. I love my 13". Thought it was the perfect size. rMBP 15" has convinced me I was wrong.