Anyone Choose Silver and why?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I am undecided about a color for my new iPhone (6S plus). Last year, I had the gold phone. If you chose silver over the other colors, I would be interested to know why. i need a phone that will more easily stand out on a variety of dark colored surfaces. Would this rule out space grey?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakedonahuee

Jakedonahuee

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Hi

I am undecided about a color for my new iPhone.m (6S plus). I don't watch media on my phone. Last year I had the gold phone. Any reason for choosing silver or space grey over the gold?

Thanks
Honestly, the silver is so dull and drab. The Space Grey, Would look good because it's nice and sleek, the gold has that extra RAZZLE DAZZLE and the Rose Gold is, well... unique.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've had a silver/white iPhone 5, a silver/white 6+ and now a silver/white 6S+. I like the colour, it's classic and modern. How anyone who owns a Space Grey model can call the silver boring is beyond me! Black & grey has to be the dullest colour scheme ever.

PS, I quite like the matt understated gold colour of the 6 Series. The shiny and blingy gold of previous iPhones was too much.

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
Only silver iPhone I had was the 1st gen :) Had gold iPhone 6 last year, but for iPhone 6s+ I went with SG. For a large phone SG just looks sexy while I just think silver is too plain and boring since all my iPads and MBs before were silver.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I started getting the white front iPhones since the 4s, and than the silver/white 5, 5s, 6, and 6plus as well. This time for the 6s plus I went with the Space Gray to match my Space Black S/S Apple Watch.

Gotta say I love it...the gray on the back is not nearly as dark as the iPads or the MacBook.

Reactions: mizzourah

trife

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2012
I picked up a 6+ from T-Mobile 2 weeks before the 6S+ launch as part of their JoD Amped promo. I was only going to use the phone for a week or two before turning it in for the 6S+, so color didn't matter. Turns out all they had was a Silver 6+, so I went with that. I didn't think I'd like a white iPhone since I've always had Space Gray/black, but I fell in love.

Currently using a Silver 6S+ and couldn't be happier with my decision to switch it up this year. I like that it's a bit more understated than the gold/rose gold models.

Surfer13134

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
I got the silver,I like the color but the biggest reason is I kept loosing my phone around the house and my SG phone always blended into the background. The silver stands out so its easier to find to me.

Reactions: ajm222 and SF-RR7

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Out of all 4 colors, I find the Silver the nicest.
I will probably continue to go with Silver in the future, unless Apple comes out with a lighter color, or a Product Red version.

With that said, I went with a Silver 6s.

Last edited:
Reactions: playaproved

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Well, I don't own a 6s (plus) but I did preorder a silver 6s Plus as soon as I could when the window opened. I own a silver 6 Plus and I had a bit of remorse over spending near a grand on another phone so soon, so I cancelled.

My reason for choosing silver was... Well, to be honest, I wanted gold when I got my 6 Plus. The local Verizon store didn't have one in stock and neither did any other Verizon stores in my area... No apple store within 2 hours of driving range. I had to go silver. My previous phone was black so I wanted some change.

I guess it just grew on me as I kept using it. Eventually I came to appreciate how 'icy' and 'sleek' it looked, I really love the 'cold' look it has. It looks just so seamless...

Gold is pretty, rose gold was too much for me to be honest, and I do like space grey color - it just looks so chic! If my previous phone wasn't black, I would have gone with space grey for sure.

I know I almost got a silver 6s Plus but when iPhone 7(or whatever it will be called) comes out, I'll probably get space grey, unless a new color sells me (if one comes out) or other colors really stand out due to the design. I personally hope for something bluish, as I like blue - like a rose gold counterpart? Probably won't happen though.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Obviously the reason why some people choose the Silver phone is that, they like it.

tonileung

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Hong Kong
I think it's a matter of personal choice.

Just I found that many accessory websites use the silver color iPhone in their demonstration of products.

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think silver/white is the eponymous iPhone. It's just pure, unadulterated gorgeousness.

I think the silver 5s was the best ever looking iPhone; even moreso than the plain 5, as the silver TouchID ring gave it that super-pop of luxury. The 6/6s is awesome too, even though the white anntenna bands take away from the sleekness of the silver back; but the 5s was the ultimate silver pop.

That being said, I moved to space gray for my 6s+ this time around, to shake it up and because I think the screen blending into the black bezel is completely, elegantly undistracting.

But I'm sure I'll go back to silver for the 7s; or even if I return my 6s+ for a 6s.

Both the Gold and the Rose Gold are gorgeous, intriguing colors.

I'd have no problem whatsoever going with Rose Gold; but I find myself looking for the yellow gold in it, so my money would choose the Gold if I had to decide between the two.

But at the end of the day, there is a color for everyone and the only color that matters is that which each person chooses.

Reactions: playaproved

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Brussels, belgium
going with silver too.
My current one is a black iPhone 5. Back in those days, black was still black :D

People choose their color for all kinds of reasons. White is boring, black is common, gold is female, gold is too obvious, rose gold is female, rose gold is a fad, the bezel is better in black, iOS fits a white bezel...whatever, just pick what you like and think is best.

I will pick silver now because I want a change and I'm done with dark/space grey, it's boring and common.

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
gold and pink are just marketing, as are all of the phones for that matter but silver is the most plain. It fits in with the tan leather Apple case and does not show dust specs like black.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Silver Original iPhone, Black 3GS, Black 4, White 4S, Black 5, Gold 5s, SG 6 Plus and now Gold 6s Plus.

I like black bezel devices but with the S version I have my own little rule since the 4s : White bezel.
Why ?
Because the S models look like the previous gen so I get another color and It feels like a totally new device externally as well.

Same rule goes for iPads as well when a new model has the same design (ex: iPad 3 & 4 or Air 1 & 2)
So : iPad 3 Black, iPad 4 White, iPad Air SG, iPad Air 2 Gold.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.