Anyone completely frustrated by the 2 GB limit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmack549, May 28, 2011.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

It used to not bother me, but I have a neg job now where I am having to use my phone a lot. I hit at least 4 GB a month, which means I'm paying an extra $20 a month. For the first time I'm considering switching to Verizon.

Sorry, just needed to rant, frustrated at the moment.

2. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I have Verizon :)

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Verizon here. I can see you being frustrated as I go over 2GB every month.

4. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Not at all. I am rarely, if ever, without access to wifi.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am grandfathered unlimited on both my iPhone and iPad and never need it on either

6. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

im on verizon now but even when i went over on AT&T it's only $10/gb. i normally never went over 3 gb. So $10 extra is seriously not a big deal considered most months i didn't go over and saved $5 compared to verizon's $30 plan.

Granted i still think AT&T is a ripoff since it has verizon prices with tmobile service quality. i wouldn't care if at&t charged me $50/month for 2 gb as long as they had faster/better service than verizon. Or if they could actually hold a call. their service is so bad im thinking about switching my AT&T work blackberry to a sprint blackberry, supposedly they are better than AT&T in NY now.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not frustrated by the 2GB cap. (only use a couple hundred MB a month anyways) but if I were you, I'd switch to Verizon ASAP before they get rid of those unlimited plans.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Why not just use the iPhone 2g trick to get unlimited data on Att like I did?

- go to Att store and ask them for a regular sim card that's unactivated
    - restore an iPhone 2g to original condition on iTunes and put in the inactivated sim card
    - plug 2g into your computer and activate it through iTunes with the old $20/mo unlimited data plan
    - go to Att store and tell a stupid rep that you have an original 2g data plan and want to switch to a newer iPhone so you need $30/mo unlimited data
    - celebrate :D

This worked for me perfectly and I love having unlimited data on Att.

9. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have access to a 2G, and I've heard plenty of people saying this didn't work for them.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Luckily I am on unlimited and will keep it as long as I can.

I don't have a problem with the 2GB cap... what I do have a problem with is the fact that they don't offer plans with even higher caps.

11. stuffradio macrumors 65816

12. FortMOney macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have wifi at home and I rarely even get close to 2gb. I am constantly browsing the web and facebook

13. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

14. megapopular macrumors 6502a

This might work...

If you're using the web browser a lot then you may want to download the Opera web browser, it compresses data and can keep you from going over the limits. Best luck.

15. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you want something you have to work for it - if it's bad enough for you to rant about to us then it's worth a tr. That trick worked for me.

16. Scott90 macrumors 6502

If because of your work you need more data, then can't you ask for a reimbursement of the extra costs?

17. kaifs macrumors member

18. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Before you switch to Verizon if you even do consider that your data rates will be slower and basically limited to a maximum of 3.1MB/s max on the downlink. I'm not bashing Verizon I have them and I do enjoy the unlimited data (though I do not neccesarily need it) I just think people see "3G network" and think its all the same thing/speed when in fact it is not.

19. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

The only thing that bothers me about the 2GB limit is the price. I wouldn't mind if it was $20. Last Fall I got rid of my unlimited data because I was only using around 20MB of data per cycle. Then I actually turned my 3G connection on and started to use it so I upgraded to the 2GB plan just to be safe. A few weeks ago I had an extreme issue with my 3GS and I used a first gen iPhone to fix it. In the process I got my unlimited data plan back for. However, since I am still only using around 250MB per cycle, I think I'll be downgrading to the 2GB plan.

I was in the mood to share my short and uneventful story.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

Verizon here. For those wondering why everyone keeps saying verizon here it is because the verizon plan is currently unlimited only but will soon move to a capped amount. OP if you can opt out you should try the verizon iPhone. Otherwise call ATT and I guess (I dont recommend it) tell them you will leave them for verizon if you don't get unlimited. In the past people have mentioned it has worked.

21. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

What do you mean it didn't work for them. Just as ap6304 outlined worked for me. If you have a unactivated 2g iPhone and you activate it with At&t, you will get unlimited data, period. Then when you upgrade you carry over your unlimited plan...its that simple, many have done it.

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Cheers

Same for me!

23. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I have unlimited on my iPhone but I never use anywhere close to 2GB, it just feels better knowing the data is there if I need it...

24. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Heh, I'm glad I'm grandfathered on verizon.

My pixi has used ~1.5 gigs of data within the first week :D

25. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

I have a question. Any of you live in Los Angeles and have verizon iPhones? I am really willing to switch carriers. At&t is just horrible. I am grandfathered in but whats the point of having unlimited if you cant get a 3g signal anywhere. Maybe you guys/gals can show some insight?