Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmack549

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
It used to not bother me, but I have a neg job now where I am having to use my phone a lot. I hit at least 4 GB a month, which means I'm paying an extra $20 a month. For the first time I'm considering switching to Verizon.

Sorry, just needed to rant, frustrated at the moment.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
It used to not bother me, but I have a neg job now where I am having to use my phone a lot. I hit at least 4 GB a month, which means I'm paying an extra $20 a month. For the first time I'm considering switching to Verizon.

I have Verizon :)

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
im on verizon now but even when i went over on AT&T it's only $10/gb. i normally never went over 3 gb. So $10 extra is seriously not a big deal considered most months i didn't go over and saved $5 compared to verizon's $30 plan.

Granted i still think AT&T is a ripoff since it has verizon prices with tmobile service quality. i wouldn't care if at&t charged me $50/month for 2 gb as long as they had faster/better service than verizon. Or if they could actually hold a call. their service is so bad im thinking about switching my AT&T work blackberry to a sprint blackberry, supposedly they are better than AT&T in NY now.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm not frustrated by the 2GB cap. (only use a couple hundred MB a month anyways) but if I were you, I'd switch to Verizon ASAP before they get rid of those unlimited plans.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011

Why not just use the iPhone 2g trick to get unlimited data on Att like I did?

- go to Att store and ask them for a regular sim card that's unactivated
- restore an iPhone 2g to original condition on iTunes and put in the inactivated sim card
- plug 2g into your computer and activate it through iTunes with the old $20/mo unlimited data plan
- go to Att store and tell a stupid rep that you have an original 2g data plan and want to switch to a newer iPhone so you need $30/mo unlimited data
- celebrate :D

This worked for me perfectly and I love having unlimited data on Att.

jmack549

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007

- restore an iPhone 2g to original condition on iTunes and put in the inactivated sim card
- plug 2g into your computer and activate it through iTunes with the old $20/mo unlimited data plan
- go to Att store and tell a stupid rep that you have an original 2g data plan and want to switch to a newer iPhone so you need $30/mo unlimited data

I don't have access to a 2G, and I've heard plenty of people saying this didn't work for them.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Luckily I am on unlimited and will keep it as long as I can.

I don't have a problem with the 2GB cap... what I do have a problem with is the fact that they don't offer plans with even higher caps.

FortMOney

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have wifi at home and I rarely even get close to 2gb. I am constantly browsing the web and facebook

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
This might work...

If you're using the web browser a lot then you may want to download the Opera web browser, it compresses data and can keep you from going over the limits. Best luck.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

jmack549 said:

I don't have access to a 2G, and I've heard plenty of people saying this didn't work for them.

If you want something you have to work for it - if it's bad enough for you to rant about to us then it's worth a tr. That trick worked for me.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
If because of your work you need more data, then can't you ask for a reimbursement of the extra costs?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Before you switch to Verizon if you even do consider that your data rates will be slower and basically limited to a maximum of 3.1MB/s max on the downlink. I'm not bashing Verizon I have them and I do enjoy the unlimited data (though I do not neccesarily need it) I just think people see "3G network" and think its all the same thing/speed when in fact it is not.

AmereckanPsycho

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
The only thing that bothers me about the 2GB limit is the price. I wouldn't mind if it was $20. Last Fall I got rid of my unlimited data because I was only using around 20MB of data per cycle. Then I actually turned my 3G connection on and started to use it so I upgraded to the 2GB plan just to be safe. A few weeks ago I had an extreme issue with my 3GS and I used a first gen iPhone to fix it. In the process I got my unlimited data plan back for. However, since I am still only using around 250MB per cycle, I think I'll be downgrading to the 2GB plan.

I was in the mood to share my short and uneventful story.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Verizon here. For those wondering why everyone keeps saying verizon here it is because the verizon plan is currently unlimited only but will soon move to a capped amount. OP if you can opt out you should try the verizon iPhone. Otherwise call ATT and I guess (I dont recommend it) tell them you will leave them for verizon if you don't get unlimited. In the past people have mentioned it has worked.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale

What do you mean it didn't work for them. Just as ap6304 outlined worked for me. If you have a unactivated 2g iPhone and you activate it with At&t, you will get unlimited data, period. Then when you upgrade you carry over your unlimited plan...its that simple, many have done it.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I have unlimited on my iPhone but I never use anywhere close to 2GB, it just feels better knowing the data is there if I need it...

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a question. Any of you live in Los Angeles and have verizon iPhones? I am really willing to switch carriers. At&t is just horrible. I am grandfathered in but whats the point of having unlimited if you cant get a 3g signal anywhere. Maybe you guys/gals can show some insight?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.