Anyone concerned about Lion recovery disks...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Domino8282, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Just saw this as I was perusing the "complete list of features" for Lion:

"Built into Lion: OS-X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS-X without the need for discs."

and

"Reinstall OS-X: OS-X can be reinstalled on your Mac from recovery mode."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not concerned about these, but for those who are, could you explain how this works if your hard drive dies or you upgrade your hard drive?

3. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

If you checked the forums, there has been many post that have showed how you can take the downloaded Lion installer from the Mac Appstore and convert it to a bootable DVD:

Here is the link:

http://eggfreckles.net/tech/burning-a-lion-boot-disc/

With this, you can install to a new hard drive and possibly bypass Leopard in the future, if you had problems, and get a clean install.

4. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I will be making a bootable disk, I tend to keep the CDs around, and the extra space is more useful to me than a recovery partition which is just as prone to damage as the main hdd

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Nope. I dont worry about it. There has been sayings that u can burn downloaded lion into dvd as restore disk. That helps if u accidentally delete lion partition. So u dont have download it again from another mac.

But if the case is hdd failure, i think u'd screwed up anyway. No matter u have restore dvd or not. It's time to bring your mac in for apple medication :p

6. Electricidad macrumors newbie

A recovery partition is a really stupid idea. They WILL include a disk or USB stick.

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

the partition isn't a stupid idea, it's useful. i do however think they will ship the OS on flash with new macs.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh, you're back. You never did return to question my "stupid statement" back in the other thread concerning the idea of a recovery partition, did you?

Ok then. I'll ask again. If it's so stupid, why have other PC manufacturers been doing this for years now?

9. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

New computers that ship with Lion will include an optical recovery disk or USB flash drive as appropriate, as they always have for Snow Leopard and previous releases.

For those who download Lion from the Mac App Store to upgrade an existing Snow Leopard installation, you have the ability to create your own DVD or USB flash drive.

Regardless, there's still a recovery partition. Part of that recovery partition includes handy-dandy new features for [redacted], [redacted] and [redacted]*, which makes handling those situations quite a bit nicer.

* These were shown at WWDC, so I'm bound by the NDA.

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

ive seen alot of OEM windows systems come with it, most people lose their OS discs anyway. alot of them dont come with copies of windows necessarily either.
    its a bad idea if its on the same HDD as the OS/Main Drive. a small flash chip on the system would make more sense. i guess we will have to see how its implemented to grasp the full functionality of it.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Great idea, actually. That got me thinking: if you recall the reported rumors about the Sandy Bridge iMacs, and how they could have shipped with separate mini-sized SSDs that only housed the OS on them...perhaps that's what Apple could be cooking all along.

Couple that with the rumor that new Macbook Air's are supposedly shipping this Wednesday and what if?

12. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yeah very similar to how firmware is stored. and if the board goes bad, then dont (theoretically) dont lose your date unless it gets fried but at that point a back up is critical regardless of where the OS Is coming from.

I'm curious to know about the iMacs still being delayed with SSDs i put an order for one and it wont be shipping until July, i'm kind of hoping Lion wont be preinstalled on it as I still have some unsupported Apps, however itd be interesting to know if they couple it, the OS (SNow Leopard) with discs or built-in to a Flash NAND location.

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Because it helps their bottom line at the expense of the customer.

BTW all of this is not a big deal as long as superduper or carbon copy cloner will work on lion like they do for snow Leopard.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No they won't.

15. DHKaplan macrumors member

I've never seen anyone mention the problem of downloading several copies of Lion for a multi-Mac home. Lots of bandwidth used... Burning a DVD would mean you only need one download.

My only question is how this will affect the Mac App Store knowing you have Lion installed...

Will updates come from the Mac App Store or via Software Update as is the case pre-Lion???

16. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

It really is a stupid idea for several reasons:

• It uses disk space for something that shouldn't use disk space
    • It requires that you download 4GB of data EVERY (read this users with capped transfers) time you want to re-install
    • If you delete the partition your screwed
    • If your formatting due to a rootkit (and there ARE rootkits for mac in the wild, as shown here in the past) the restore partition will be infected also and not help you

And while companies like Toshiba and Dell have been providing recovery partitions in the past, they also provide the basic OS and drivers on separate install DVDs.

17. seniorgeek macrumors member

18. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I know how to make a boot disk, I was merely stating why the recovery partition can be a bad idea and both options should always be available

19. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In addition to the recovery disc issue, what about those who live in places without High-speed Internet? Do they have to take their computer to a hot spot to upgrade to Lion, or will you be able to convince the people at Apple Retail by Phone to send you a disc, much like how they will send you any previous OS version, all you have to do is ask.

TEG

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apple is giving users multiple ways to get Lion:

• Comes on new Macs after Lion goes public
    • Recovery partition
    • Download from App Store*
    • Burn it to a DVD
    • Create a bootable thumb drive
    • Apple Store Genius Bar
    Honestly, that seems to be more options than most other companies give. I don't see an issue here.

*I understand that for heavily data capped users downloading Lion could be a problem.

21. lexicon5 macrumors newbie

Negatory good buddy...not in the new Mac Pros nor the new iMacs. You can boot holding Command+R for Recovery and start from there. No discs provided whatsoever. The good news is they still include the 2 white Apple Stickers.

The BIG issue I have is when you do boot holding Command+R and enter the Disk Utility...you can't create new partitions. DU cannot unmount the drive to allow new or blowing away of existing as the recovery partition would also unmount. so in the case of my new Mac Pro that we want to run Lion and Lion Server on...for development and Beta testing Aqua Connect...I can't out of the box. I have to install a second HD and install Lion/Lion Server from there after partitioning...the question that I have not answered for myself is if I blow away the partitions...does the Restore disk go with it? If it does...well there's your answer to whether is a stupid idea or not.
    Back many years ago...when HP wanted to get rid of floppy drives, we had several people ask "How are we going to image the machines?" in a panic. The dumb@$$es finally figured out how to from CD and DVD drives...I didn't bother to tell them Macs have not had floppy drives for many years before the "bright" idea HP had...funny how "stupid" turns into "Why didn't we do this WAY before now?

22. Klips macrumors newbie

Just got my iMac with Lion. I don't understand why I can't have the option to create a totally independent way of restoring the system than counting on a HD partition. The first thing I expect to die in my iMac is the same usual thing that will die in every computer --- "The hard drive". They're mechanical and have a finite life.

As I am new to the whole Apple computers, what is the easiest way to get a recovery disk?

23. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Sigh

Make one yourself. I did. The DMG burns easily and the technique has been discussed on many Apple websites throughout the internet.

24. nochnia macrumors member

But how's that possible. I'm in the same situation. My iMac came already with Lion preinstalled but I'm going to replace the hdd. So can I create a bootable Lion install from the recovery partition?
    I know that I can create one from the Lion DMG out of the App Store...