Anyone disappointed by the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lordillingworth, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Right then first i will say that i have been looking forward to this day for so long and there were plenty of things i wanted to see and do, i couldn't wait to be in bed tonight listening to an episode of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (podcast) and so on. I spent all day at work thinking about it and when 7 o'clock rolled around off to o2 i went...

'Wow, there it is!' I said to the assistants when i saw the demo unit!

The lady ran through some of the features of it, and i was impressed, then i had a little mess around with it myself, i love ical! I really do!

But everything else seemed like it was just,.. well... good.

For some reason even hooked up to wifi ebay took forever to load, but i gave it the benefit of the doubt. But nothing apart from ical seemed to really make an impression...

However i still wanted one as i still thought it was brilliant, but when i went to pay for one just as i had already been fearing they told me that my electron was would not be accepted, so off home i went to see if anyone in my family had a card to use instead... i only live about 10 minutes away, but by the time i got home i just didn't want one at all and i didn't bother asking anyone to come and buy one with me!

I loved the way you could browse images or use safari landscape and all that, but after the first time i had used it i just thought, yeah this will be handy! and that was that, i almost had no reaction to it id you know what i mean!

Anyway, just wandering if anyone else had any similar thoughts, please don't take this as any sort of attack as i think the iphone is still an absolutely brilliant machine and who knows perhaps tomorrow morning i will grab some one and run up town to get one!

Anyway, any one else underwhelmed or whatever you want to call it!?

2. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I have an unlocked iPhone here in the states with tmobile I bought about 2 months ago, and don't get me wrong it's a great device. At first it was like OMG OMG this thing is so amazing, but now 2 months later I really, REALLY miss my blackberry. I hate the battery life, I need to charge it everyday if not i'm screwed the next day. The blackberry charged every 3 days. I hate that you can't forward text messages, can't get MMS, can't delete a single call, you need to clear the whole log, still haven't gotten used to the keyboard, and I dont surf the web/use wifi as much as I thought. Also I dont use the ipod as much as I used to either. I've thought numerous times to sell it, and the fact that is has the 1.0.2 software makes it valueble.

3. Lartymarf macrumors regular

I never use iCal.

My story is complete opposite.

Didn't care much for the iPhone, until a friend showed me his
    which prompted me to buy one very soon after.

4. stekerrod macrumors regular

I love this phone!its great as I sit here happily learning to type on this multitouch keyboard! I think I'm in love!

5. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

Well 133 days later I can honestly say I am happier with the iPhone now than when I purchased it, It continuously amazes me. People still comment on it and how awesome it is even after the exclusivity of the $600 club went away with the price drop and more phones started popping up. The reason the phone still amazes me probably is because I never had a phone with internet, or email, or even a camera. I imagine there are phones out their that can do things better than the iPhone but to this date I still have never found a phone that I like better.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Hear hear. For the most part. Ive had cameras on the phone, but never internet. Sure this doesnt do as much as my freakin PEBL did, but man is it stlying. It feels great to the hands, looks beautiful. It has everything. I freaked out the first time i saw it, and wanted it more and more every time i touched it. It didnt even bother me that the price dropped. I love it that much.

7. walnuts macrumors 6502

I've had mine since August, and I still love it too. Its true that it was my first smart phone, so being impressed with the ability to e-mail on the go for instance isn't solely for the iphone, and, I have found myself frustrated with safari crashing, but all that aside I love it. I still annoy my friends and fiancee by using it at every chance I can get...

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, same here. After almost two months I am still in awe of the iPhone. I may be easy to please because I, too, had never had anything other than cheapy cell phones before, but this thing is amazing and helps me so much in my work. The company where I am working on a 6 month contract has outside email blocked on their LAN, so I use my iPhone in Edge mode to keep in touch with my other clients during this time. Don't know how I ever lived without it...

9. quadgirl macrumors regular

I needed a new phone this Autumn and couldn't wait for the iPhone so got a new Blackberry on T-Mobile and loved it ever since. I then got an iPod touch after the OMG OMG this thing is so amazing, and am so glad I didn't wait for the iPhone for the exact same reasons you mention.

I would really like to ask if ANYONE can type well on the iPhone - I still can't on my iPod Touch.

10. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

I love this phone alot better than my slvr but hey i hacked it unlocked and then got bored with it and now i have no apps on it lol its in its orginal state but this phone has lots of good stuff until the official sdk comes out it will be sweet except i hate the fact that i cant update to newer firmware because apple will brick your phone because you unlocked it but besides that i love it :D

11. camarobh macrumors 6502

Anyone disappointed by the iphone?

No. It is exactly what it was advertised as. I love my iPhone.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I can type really quickly. :)

You don't have to type the correct letters... you just type like you dont know how to spell and it corrects it all for you.

13. Geffen macrumors 6502

I doubt you'll find many people that are disappointed in their iPhone most people do their research and know what they're getting before they buy the iphone is such much more advanced than a regular cell phone and definately more fun than a blackberry :)

14. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The iPhone (as polled by several independent sources) has the highest satisfaction rating of any phone ever, any Apple product ever and this is just version 1.
    Going back to my Backwardsberry is not an option. I have it in a box with my typewriter.

15. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

It's funny, I love every single app, everything is a wow except iCal. It's the only one I never use. I think the phone is amazing, and it simply embarrasses everything else. However, the only thing I don't like is when I have to take it out in front of people I don't know, they always think I'm a spoiled little kid, even though I paid for every cent of it (at 600), and the monthly!

16. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I agree, it is embarrassing taking it out in public, I feel like I'm showing off. LOL
    I keep it in my pocket and use my bluetooth earbud when I am in public.
    More low key.

17. iliketomac macrumors member

iliketomac

The iPhone is still the must have gadget... okay, so it doesn't sing & dance & u know - tickle your fancy... BUT it's still a great device granted you use it to its fullest potential - web browsing in safari, email accounts, youtube, ipod/itunes, visual voicemail, etc.. etc...

18. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I'm pretty close to selling mine and going back to a phone that has features 99% of all phones have. MMS, Exchange suport, video, 3rd party apps without voiding Apples communist warranty, ringtones without paying off Apple $1.98.....Etc

19. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Love it, but loosing patience in Apple implementing MMS. I use it way to much to not be able to do it easily.

20. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I suppose I am with some of the others who didn't already have a smartphone. I had the Razr and so the upgrade for me is amazing. The iPhone is my iPod, my cell phone, my way the world wherever I am. EDGE doesn't beat 3G but it is fast enough for reading online news and such. I finally used the Jailbreak to put the installer and I have been playing with some applications on the phone.

Is there a way to un-jailbreak it so when they release a new firmware I can unlock it without it bricking? (please PM me the answer, I don't want to take over this thread).

The iPhone is fun and I think the OP would be saying the same thing if he would have gone ahead and went back to get the phone.

21. 7jjm macrumors newbie

I am absolutely over the the moon with mine. The only thing that I was a little disappointed with is the built in speaker. Apart from that...fantastic!

8gb iPhone on 02
    PowerBook G4
    30gb Black iPod Video

22. snapper07 macrumors 6502

i love mine it can feel a tad slow when loading things up but i think it's the expectation level you have because it's an apple product, I'm still having to use my blackberry pearl (which i thought was great) while i wait for my number to port and already find it slow and painful to use now i've got my iphone.
    i hate the way the text and emails are mixed up on the blackberry and those tiny buttons nasty.

With the i phone there are a few small details that need to and can be sorted out but am confident with customer feed back from europe which has higher mobile phone expectations than the US it will only get better.

23. EnderXi macrumors newbie

1st full day with it today and so far im impressed with the ease of use, i dont know why everyone complains about the keyboard i find it WAY easier to use than my previous handset and the other features that are missing are more than made up for by the style and ease of use of the features we do have.

It is not a cutting edge tech phone (no GPS no GPRS etc etc) but what it does have makes it the best phone around and its certainly making the rest of the phone manufacturers sit up and copy it.

24. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

I have to say I LOVE the iPhone functionality as I knew I would, it's everything I expected, but there are some initial issues I have.

Firstly the inability to efficiently track call and SMS usage (see my post here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384837 )

Secondly I live in the middle of a large town and my signal strength in my flat is very weak at one bar–compared to my Orange phone which has FULL signal strength.

It took alot for me to finally make the jump to getting an O2 contract. Initially I was prepared to wait for unlocking and use my current Orange SIM (500 cross-network mins / Unlimited texts - £35p/m), but decided it would be just easier to go legit. Inevitably there will be lots of iPhone updates and frankly I was bored of the whole hacking thing and obviously eager to get my iPhone working.

Just to add, I feel downgrading to a previous firmware, to get a SIM unlock working, would be a bad move and I fear future updates would mean missing out on much needed functionality updates.

The usage thing is a BIG issue for me. Having only 200mins / 200 texts to play with every month means I need to be able to keep tabs on the usage – it's my right surly?

I am disappointed about one other issue – the absence of a 'multi-texting' feature.