Anyone ditch their Notebook for an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by D1G1T4L, Mar 4, 2011.

1. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Thinking about getting rid of my MBP for an iPad. I mainly use the notebook for surfing the web and email. I enjoy playing games on my iPhone and think they would also be fun on the iPad. The addition of the touch screen would be nice for web surfing but anyone had problems using the touch keyboard while entering text?

I do still have a desktop that could be used for anything I couldn't do on the iPad.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope. i do work on mine. I will be getting one in addition to it.

3. Airmark1 macrumors regular

I got rid of my HP Mini 1000 for the iPad (or at least 98%). I really don't miss the netbook that I had. The only things that don't let me use the iPad 100% of the time is when I need to print sometimes and doing my taxes on Turbo Tax.

I carry my iPad all over the US and love not having to carry a large laptop bag, charging brick, etc. The iPad battery is pretty amazing.

4. nealh macrumors 6502

cant you use print magic to print in wireless fashion from the iPad??

5. Aetherhole macrumors member

I did. I use it at work, at home, during classes to take notes, and simply to play games on the go.

However, I sold my iPad 1 in anticipation for the iPad 2 and have been without for a month and it's driving my nuts!

I will be getting the iPad 2 next Friday!

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There's a hundred apps that help you print directly from your iDevice, they can even be purchased directly from Apple's App Store. I use 'Print n Share for Advanced Printing'. I think it was around five bucks but allows me to print over Wi-Fi and 3G/EDGE. Completely worth it.

7. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Notebook you mean paper or notebook meaning laptop?

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Laptop. If this is sarcasm forgive me for not being able to identify it :confused:

9. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Never mind......saw the post you were replying too.

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Nevermind :rolleyes:

11. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yup I surf the web on a piece of notebook paper

12. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

13. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

I have a desktop (which needs repairing right now) and a net book. I bought my IPad a month ago and the only time I use my net book is when I need to do something with the IPad. The IPad replaces my net book 98% of the time. Since you have to update and sync your IPad you can't completely replace it. But the convience of carrying it instead of a laptop or net book is great.

14. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

My last main setup was a loaded unibody 15" MBP + 24" Apple Cinema Display.
    Sold that last year and bought a 27" iMac + iPad and could not be happier.

Eagerly awaiting iPad 2.

15. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Yep using my Ipad for work and play it handles 90% of what I need in a portable device and getting better all the time as new apps fill the gaps.

Looking forward to Ipad2 3G

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As much as I like my iPad, it cannot replace my laptop. There are programs and functions that the laptop excels and the iPad struggles. There are some functions that the iPad cannot even do.

My laptop is used for maintaining the books at my church as I'm the treasurer. I also did turbo tax on it. I use VMware Fusion and finally there's a fair amount of content creation, whether its a website or a document. All of which the iPad is either ill suited for or unable to perform.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My wife will when she travels- surf+ email. I won't, I like my games too much, games that won't play on the iPad last time I checked. I might still get an ipad though. :)

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

ipad is not a laptop replacement. It is a luxury product for people who have 500-800 dollars to burn.

19. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I only carry the notebook around when I know I will need it for things that the iPad does not have. It's a Windows Notebook and I use access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher One Note and Outlook a lot. When I know I will need to use Access or Publisher I take the notebook with me. Most of the other programs have counterparts in iOS that will work with them.

I would say over 90% of the time I have the iPad with me rather than the notebook and the iPad is about 75% lighter and easier to carry.

20. elistan macrumors 6502a

I recently replaced my laptop with an iMac. I like it a lot, but miss the mobility of the laptop. So I plan on picking up an iPad 2 next week.

21. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Yep. Only thing that travels with me now are my iPad and iPhone. Can do everything I want and don't miss the extra "luggage".