• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

miles8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Traded up to an 11 Pro Max from an XS (regular size) mostly due to the better camera.

I have huge hands, so even though I've always had smaller phones, I thought I'd give the Max a try. After about 12 days, I'm strongly leaning towards using the 14 day exchange policy and trading it for an 11 Pro (regular size). The bigger screen is nice for certain things, but I try to avoid any extended reading on my phone anyway, I don't watch movies or play games on the phone, etc. so the bigger screen feels wasted on me. Yes, photos are a bit bigger, but only marginally so as they dont fill the entire screen.

The bigger size is noticeable when carrying the phone in my pocket. And even though the weight is only marginally heavier, it adds up over the course of a day/week/month/year.

Curious if anyone else has traded from 11 Pro Max (or other Plus sized phone) to 11 Pro (or other Regular sized phone)?
Happy with the decision?

aue123

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2019
ohio
after seeing phone buff battery test, i feel like i should have went with the pro over the pro max.. i do enjoy the extra few hours of battery life though

Comment

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I actually did the opposite...when the X came out. Loves the size of the X, after having all previous Plus-sized phones. Bought the XS and then originally, the 11 Pro. After a while with it, I decided to go back to the Plus sized phones and got the 11 Pro Max.

I am issued an XR for work and really like that size, but am not willing to sacrifice the additional features. Anxiously awaiting a 6.1 Pro iPhone this year....

Comment

miles8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
after seeing phone buff battery test, i feel like i should have went with the pro over the pro max.. i do enjoy the extra few hours of battery life though
Interesting: https://www.phonebuff.com/battery-test
90 minutes more screen time with the Max.
I found that if I'm using the phone frequently, while traveling for example, I naturally put it in low power mode and that generally gets me by.

Reactions: edhchoe
Comment

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Went from XS Max to 11 to 11 Pro.

I don’t miss the bigger phones and I get full day battery life with the regular Pro.

Comment

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I went from the Plus series (7+) to an 11 Pro. I really like the lower weight and the ability to do so much with just one hand when needed. Better in my pocket too. If Apple introduces a phone in the middle size between these, I might consider, but for now find the 11 Pro size about perfect for me.

Reactions: edhchoe and bobsamm
Comment

miles8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah and my hands hurt a lot less after a full day.
Yeah, that's what I've been noticing with the bigger phone. Wouldnt seem like the extra weight would make such a difference, but my Incipio case weighs more as well and it DOES add up over the course of a day.

Comment

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I had my first Pro Max for a week, then I thought how great it'd be having a smaller, lighter phone. Returned it and bought a Pro. Needless to say, 2 days later I returned it for my current Pro Max. I just couldn't go back to a smaller sized phone, even though it was lighter, more pocket friendly, easier to use one handed. The pro's of the Max outweigh the cons, at least for me anyway.

Comment

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
when I had the iPhone X it was too narrow so coming to the XS Max was perfect.

playing around with the 11 which is 6.1” felt like a really ideal size.
I may get the 6.1 inch iPhone 12 as it’s not too small and no too big.

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Curious if anyone else has traded from 11 Pro Max (or other Plus sized phone) to 11 Pro (or other Regular sized phone)?
Happy with the decision?

(pre-amble, followed by my observations after an enforced downsize)

I was concerned when seeing the larger 'Plus' size when the 6 Plus was announced. I was a strong proponent of one-handed use, and knew the Plus size would limit that ... but it had the better camera system which was more important to me.

I opted to use the 14 day try-out window (like you're doing) to try the Plus size to see if I could adapt. I adapted. Took me a few days, and yes, the compromise of single-handed use was noticeable, but there was no way I could go back to the smaller screen after that. The extra data/info/context I got in text conversations, emails, webpages, etc, was just too useful to me. I upgrade every year, and every year have gotten the Plus/Max options.

That said, when the X came out, there was no Plus sized option ... my choices where the X or the 8 Plus, and there was no way I was not going to get the X. This meant that for the year, I was using an essentially downsized phone. Did I get used to it? Yes. But the whole year, I was constantly reminded how I missed the larger sized, and really, really hoped the XS was going to have a Plus sized version. Happily, it did, and I jumped on it immediately (followed, of course, a year later by the 11 Pro Max).

So, for me, having to use the smaller sized phone after being used to the larger screens was a bit of a let down. But, that was just me. Wanting a smaller form factor is an entirely legitimate desire for many people.

Comment

miles8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Today is my decision day (14 days after purchase, so I have to let Apple know by tonight if I want to downsize). Appreciate all the comments. I've been carrying my old XS around along with the Max, and realized about how few times I wished the previous phone was bigger when I was using it. Again, I've got really big hands and plenty strong, but I sure do notice the added heft/bulk.

I really dont want to be tied to my phone any more than I already am. And I've got an awesome iPad for when I need to do heavier reading/displaying/etc.

So will contemplate for the rest of the day, but leaning strongly to returning...

Reactions: HYPOKON2000
Comment

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I can't. I'm very ecstatic to replace my LG G8 ThinQ with the rumored larger G9 ThinQ. I went from a Note 2 to I think my first iPhone (5c). I was sick of large devices. Went through the period where I got a 5s, hated it. Got the 6, it was bent. Jumped to the 6s and got it on launch day. Pondered the 7 but started on the larger screen quest again so got the 7 Plus.

Bought the XS, returned it. Got the 11, also returned it. Skipped over the regular Pro and I've been happily using the Pro Max. Now my Android is feeling too small again. I keep an iPhone and Android pretty much at all times for different reasons.

Comment

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Had a 6S that died and went to an 8+. Initally liked it but after a few weeks I just found it too unweildly and cumbersome, and honestly I kept fumbling and dropping it a lot. Stuck it out for a year before selling and getting an XS, which is perfect for me.

Reactions: HYPOKON2000
Comment

djrm

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
Today is my decision day (14 days after purchase, so I have to let Apple know by tonight if I want to downsize). Appreciate all the comments. I've been carrying my old XS around along with the Max, and realized about how few times I wished the previous phone was bigger when I was using it. Again, I've got really big hands and plenty strong, but I sure do notice the added heft/bulk.

I really dont want to be tied to my phone any more than I already am. And I've got an awesome iPad for when I need to do heavier reading/displaying/etc.

So will contemplate for the rest of the day, but leaning strongly to returning...

DOWNSIZE!!! I did exactly the same thing and now would never go back. Been plus size user since they released them years ago and thought I would never go 'small' ever again. Ive had the 11 pro since launch. Its a blessing. So nice to have a phone that fits in pockets so much easier and nestles in the hand a treat. I don't miss the extra screen size at all!

Comment

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I downsized from a 7 plus to the 11 pro a few months ago and am happy with my decision. I purchased the plus when it came out in 2016 as I wanted a larger screen, but after three years of use I was ready to get back to something a little more comfortable to hold and use with one hand. I think the screen size being essentially the same between the two, despite the 11 pro being smaller overall, made the transition easy for me.

Last edited:
Comment

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
I'm actually downsizing just now to an 11 pro from an 11 pro max. I have a iPP 11 inch and a 16 inch MBP for all my heavy duty tasks. For my phone I find the pro max just to be too big and heavy, especially when I'm working out and in shorts, which...I am in a lot. Just don't like having that massive weight and bulge.

Comment

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I have the 11 pro. I had the max when it came out then sold it for a 8, then a too good not to get XR came along so used it for 8 months, sold it used a SE till i got the pro.
I also got a XS max to try again while i had the SE, so i knew to make the right decision.
I use my 11" iPad more at home.

For another $150AD here the pro max is better value if you can handle the size, bigger screen bit more battery.

Comment

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Im looking to downsize from 11 pro max to 11 (since trading with a family member) and then to 11 pro. Eagerly waiting for a potentially new se2 with current spec camera and I’ll be happy. Smaller form factor would be great

Comment

miles8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Traded in 11 Pro Max for 11 Pro last night. Moving on...
Interestingly the customer rep said that women often want to buy or move UP to the Max, because they are used to carrying the phone in their purses, wheras men often want to by or move DOWN to the regular size, because they are used to carrying in the pocket!

Comment

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I bought the 7+ then upgraded to the X when it came out. I didn't like the size in pockets of the 7+. I'm currently on the 11, and not happy with the size increase from the X, but didn't want to spend the extra money this time for the Pro.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Interestingly the customer rep said that women often want to buy or move UP to the Max, because they are used to carrying the phone in their purses, wheras men often want to by or move DOWN to the regular size, because they are used to carrying in the pocket!

Strange response by the representative. Generally, it’s like anything, you adjust to the size. I never see the 5.8 variant in public, it’s always the 5.5/6.5/6.1 iPhone models. Why? Because that’s what Apple markets heavily, plus you have a larger battery and consumers generally are favoring larger displays in terms of media content and photos, it’s outweighs how somebody would prefer to carry their phone in a purse or pocket.

Comment

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68040
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I love the plus size iPhones. I had every plus iPhone and then upgraded to the X when it launched. I loved the X but hated the size. I upgraded to the XS Max in March 2019, and don’t regret the size. I have small dainty hands and don’t have an issue typing with 1 or 2 hands. I quickly adjusted to the size and would upgrade to a bigger device if it was released today. I only carry a purse on date night once a month, so the other days my XS Max is either in my hands or in my pockets majority of the time. I don’t have any issue with my phone in me pockets neither and I wear skinny tight jeans.

Reactions: GeeMillz22
Comment

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
My first move to bigger phones with a Motorola X Style from an iPhone 5s. Only had that for a few months before going back down to a 6s. Again I got curious for a 7+ but held off till the Galaxy S8+, followed by a 8+, Pixel 2 XL and now currently down to an iPhone X.

I'd say I gave them a fair shot, but never really adjusted. I do have smaller hands and like to use them one handed. With the bigger phones they would rest on my fingertips so I could shuffle the phone around to reach, where as smaller phones I can have a proper grip and still reach. Typing and reaching to the opposite end of the keyboard was a struggle. iOS's swipe to go back gesture helped on the iPhone side, instead of having to reach for the back button on Android. I ended up coming to hate my time with the 2 XL from so many accidental touches on the side, I even sold the phone without having another while I hunted for a cheaper X. Bigger phones always had to come out my pocket when putting on my shoes, climbing stairs and sometimes sitting down. I did have the iPhone 8 for the 2 week return period before a friend talked me into swapping for the 8+, and it felt amazingly good it the pocket coming from the S8+. The main reason I swapped it was because it was the same as owning my 6s again, not because I missed the bigger screen.

For me and my time with bigger screen phones, they didn't really give me more as for viewing content. The screen wasn't big enough for me to make me enjoy the content more, I would still prefer a bigger screen device (tablet/TV/computer). Otherwise I am fine with a smaller screen. The bigger battery was nice, I like how Apple has the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max with the same hardware, not forcing you to go with the bigger one to get it all.

Currently hanging out for the rumored 5.4" after talking my self out of a S20.

Reactions: GeeMillz22
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.