Anyone Ebayed an iPhone internationally?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple.pseudofan, Jul 4, 2010.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

I forgot to exclude international shipping on my auction for my 3G and an international buyer snatched it up at the Buy-It-Now price.

A bit nervous shipping internationally but he has paid my PayPal. I cannot remove the funds due to the hold on it that stays in place until he gives me feedback or receives the item. I am worried about shipping it and him disputing it.

BTW, the buyer is in Nigeria
    And he paid $50 more for shipping than I invoiced.

Scam? Sounds very fishy to me. Is there any way to contact Ebay to find out my options?

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Yup sounds dodgy to me also... At the end of the day it's upto you if you wanna risk it

3. JokerD macrumors member

4. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

5. Reser macrumors 6502

Most deffinatley a scam, refund the money and relist the item

Also you are obviously inexperienced at selling as there is no such thing as a hold on funds till someone gives feedback/ receives item.

6. mattydee87 macrumors regular

I beg to differ. On high value items such as the iPhone which are used in a lot of scams, PayPal sometimes hold the money or for other various reasons. It's happened to me in the past.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Don't even consider sending anything to Nigeria!!! You will be scammed one way or another. Paying more than you asked for??? Another sure sign. He will either claim he didn't receive it or the paypal account he uses will be stolen. Either way you will be screwed. :eek:

8. kultschar macrumors 6502a

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They will hold the money waiting on feedback. It's happened to me. :(

10. bce425 macrumors newbie

Lol nigeria? When I sell anything I forbid anyone from that country. If you want paypal protection you have to ship to verified addresses...also signature services...It's very expensive to do that internationally...I usually just use USPS priority international and take my chances...I only ship to Western Europe. I just would try to look at the kind of items the people have bought...and how high their feedback is...if it doesn't meet my expectations i'll cancel it.

11. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Don't do it! Its way too risky and just not worth it. I've done it and was uneasy the whole way. Eventually everything went through but I told myself I would never do that again. First of Paypal cannot verify international addresses so you lose all protections as a seller. That right there should scare you away. I learned that on my last international transaction. The Paypal account can easily be hijacked and be used on others to what seems to be a legitament payment but actually is a unauthorized payment because of a stolen user I'd and password. What usually happens then the scammer tells you to ship to some address where its unconfirmed and basically your screwed!

12. bce425 macrumors newbie

if you contact ebay and show them that...I'm sure they will cancel it...and refund any fees back to you...

it is suspicious...already...

13. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

14. apple.pseudofan thread starter macrumors regular

I don't Ebay much, but PayPal DOES hold funds on more expensive items.

I am chatting with an Ebay rep right now and WILL NOT be shipping the item.

I am going to refund and relist.

Thank you everyone for your swift input.

15. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

whats the best method to ship to another country?? USPS. FedEx, UPS?? And I should add signature and tracking correct?

What other countries should I avoid??

and do international buys have confirmed addresses when you sell thru paypal?

16. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

Yeah

Yeah it happened to a friend of mine with a low end item....never has happened to me I always get the money instantly so not sure why they hold some and some they don't.

17. apple.pseudofan thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome

Not as though it will stop this guy from trying again, but the Ebay rep I am chatting with is canceling this guy's Ebay account.

I will post a new thread with everything I learned here to help others avoid this.

He send a fraudulent PayPal confirmation email.

His mistake, he sent it to my personal address. I get all paypal email at my work account.

He had previously requested my paypal email when requesting an invoice, but I have never given it out before so I knew that wasn't necessary. So he took a chance that I used the same email (or wouldn't notice).

I felt it was fishy from the beginning and my instincts were dead on.

18. bce425 macrumors newbie

I think pay pal offers verified protection for addresses In the UK and Canada...when you ship internationally unless it's a document it's too expensive to add signature...ups fedex are like 90 100 bucks...usps is the best alternative it usually costs me around 40 bucks for priority international...plus they give you the option of flat rate boxes...but shipping internationally always carries risks...if their feedback isn't through the roof on similar type items with different vendors...I won't ship to them...i don't ship to generally less developed countries....although again it depends on the individual user.

Just check the individual users feedback and try to ascertain what kind of past items they have bought...you could have 300 feedback...but if it's for .99 cent rubber bands who cares...

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

NO!!!!! Don't you dare send it. Paypal doesn't run in Nigeria and you will be SOL

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Not true. I just sold my 3GS to someone in Canada and was told that there'd be a hold on the funds until she leaves me feedback or there's proof that the item has been received. That's the first time I'd ever heard of it, too, and I'm not a new seller nor am I new to selling electronics. This is the first hold I've ever had to deal with.

21. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

For the 3G last year I sold to Italy, my first international shipment. I was uneasy the whole time, but the guy turned out to be a great person. Have him on my gchat list now, and actually offered to sell him my 3GS this year first before I put it up on eBay. He said no thanks as he is waiting for the 4.

I sold the 3GS two weeks ago to someone in the UAE. I was freaking out, he did buy it now and paid 45 for shipping.

He had an unconfirmed address to a po box. And the things he was telling we weren't going easy with me. Like send ups and not USPS. Well I found out ups wot ship to a po box, the. I found out they will contact the buyer once it gets there but must ship to his house. However, pAypal doesn't cover you for REDIRECTS! So now I was really freaking out. At this point I told the guy, listen , I'm sending USPS, getting signature confitmation, and that's the end of it. Paypal did state I was eligable for seller protection even though his address wasn't confirmed. So I shipped it USPS, sig conf, to his po box. It got there in 5 days, cleared customs, he signed for it. Deal done.

Just use common sense.....and don't ever ship to Nigeria!

22. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

it is a FAKE FAKE FAKE PAYPAL WEBSITE

go to www.paypal.com and you'll notice how those funds are not on that site..

only in the link that the buyer provides

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yep, there was a hold on a guitar case i sold and it was only for $100. As soon as he repped me it went in but i wouldnt sell anything to Nigeria. Id contact Paypal and tell them to refund the guy or how to. Theres no way you will get it till he reps you and he wont til he gets the phone so i dont know how that will work. Not sure how they can scam that but just selllng to Nigeria smells of scam but who knows.

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes they do place holds. I sold three or four iPhones on eBay in the past. Each time, my money was placed on hold until the feedback was given by the seller or the delivery could be confirmed.

25. chrisesposito macrumors member

A similar thing happened to me, only the buyer was in Russia.

The buyer paid promptly, and I've verified that the funds are in Paypal. I've talked with both ebay and Paypal myself and they confirm the paypal email I got that I'm both eligible for seller protection and also under no obligation to ship internationally since even though I forgot to block international bidders, the shipping is marked as 'U.S. only'.

I've taken the address given and confirmed with my local Fedex shipping center that a tracking number and signature as proof of delivery are available. According to the seller protection policy (based on what I was told), even if the phone never arrives, I'm protected. My request to transfer the funds to my bank account has generated a transaction ID and no indication of any holds.

I have a message from the buyer sent through ebay's message system agreeing that:

1) customs charges and delays are their problem, not mine
    2) if the phone is not compatible with the russian phone system, there will be no refund
    3) the international fedex charges for shipping and signature proof of delivery are on top of the U.S. shipping charges in the listing (and I've already been paid for the extra costs and confirmed those funds too).

I've got my 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 SHSH blobs on file @ Cydia, so I'll be doing a complete wipe, then restore / re-jailbreak / re-unlock according to instructions posted in this forum.

As uneasy as I initially was (and there are several countries I would never even consider shipping to), all the risks I can think of appear to be accounted for.