Anyone else afraid to use their iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derek1984, Jun 24, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Because the battery drains so fast? I am at work right now and I want to listen to Wunderraido but if I continue listening to it my battery will last not last the whole day. I'll probably get in total 3 hours of battery life with brightness set in the middle. I have to admit, I am little dissapointed with the battery life on the 3GS.

2. SeanMcC macrumors regular

All the time. I really want to listen to music or play Peggle, but I know my phone needs to have enough battery to last 10 more hours.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

iphonophobia :)

Seriously, I thought the 3GS was supposed to have this wonderful battery life.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thats why I have a cord to charge it from my desktop at work. Im in the same situation. However, I love using my iPhone. I've done normal texting, some game playing, and non stop iPod all morning and I'm at 76%. If it becomes a problem i'll just hook it up or turn down the brightness. I see your point though.

5. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I haven’t been afraid to use it and battery life for me has been better since cycling it a few times.

6. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

My 3GS is wonderful on battery life. I usually connect it to speakers at work and listen to music all night (9 hour shifts). That's in addition to my daytime use. When I did this with my 3G it was dead or just about dead. My 3GS is still anywhere between 50-70 % remaining.

Besides that are none of you guys around a car charger, home or and outlet at work at all during the day?

7. SuperKat macrumors regular

Juice Pack

I just bought a Mophie Juice pack to use while I have MotionXGPS going on MTB rides. I really like it, maybe that's an option.

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No. I have a charger at work, a charger in my car and a charger at home. Not to mention the battery life of any Iphone has never been an issue for me.

I just keep my brightness a little less than half and disable bluetooth, location services and push as I don't really need any of those battery drainers, when I do, I just turn them on.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Everyone has calibrated their battery meters right?

10. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Cali-what? :D

11. blueben macrumors newbie

lol, i'm afraid to use my phone too. I've been using an unlocked nokia e71 for a long time now and that battery lasts forever with heavy use, so going to my 3G S is a big shock. Power cycling a few times has definitely helped, along with disabling 3g, wifi, location services, push, bluetooth, when I'm not using them. I absolutely love this amazing phone but I hate seeing that batt percentage drop so fast.

I'll probably end up picking up a mophie juice pack air to get some more life out of this thing during those long days. its a shame its so expensive. :(

12. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

You mean to tell me that I can't constantly stream data from the internet and get 10 hours of battery life from my iPhone like every other smartphone on the market? Oh wait, no other smartphone on the market can do that.

13. Kaemon macrumors member

Always carry a cord, keep a charger in your car, and plug it when when you can, I never have to worry about it dying. I also carry another battery for just in case I can't get anything else :-/ So I've never had a problem.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/iphone-3g/iphone-3g-battery-guide-and-charging-tips-34725.html

Make sure you read about how to calibrate your battery meter. When you buy a new iPhone, the battery meter display can be off. Do these steps and I assure you, you'll get better battery life.

Edit: When I initially calibrated my battery indicator, I just drained it all the way and charged it fully again with the wall charger. Do not charge your iPhone using the computer (for some reason it doesn't charge all the way... even though it will say 100%).

15. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

wow, you must not get out too often. the iphone isn't the only phone that can/might do it. I know, shocker!

16. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

+1.

I charge my iPhone every night. I have no concerns using it all day (I'm *not* a heavy cell phone user). If it needs charging while I'm the office, I just connected to my MBP. I also have a charger if it needs charging while in the car.

:apple:

--DotComCTO

P.S. I looked closely at getting the Mophie JuickPack, but I'm going to hold off for a while. The battery life hasn't really been that big of an issue. Plus, the JuicePack adds a bit of bulk to the unit that I don't love.

17. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Hmmm? Sorry, I don't understand this post.

18. Johnnybrav0 macrumors member

Seriously...why are you so scare to use your phone? You might as well not buy a phone than...iphone or not...you bought it for a purpose...I don't know what your reason is...but use the dam thing...don't let it be the owner of you...you are the master of your equipment not the other way around....

19. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

you implied that no other smartphone does it, but there are plenty that does.

20. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I used to have this problem, but certainly not with the 3GS. I don't know why you guys are having issues with battery life... I'm easily seeing TWICE the battery life out of my 3GS as I did with the 3G. Perhaps you could indeed use a full discharge / recharge to calibrate your battery gauge sensors.

21. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I agree

the only time it drains the batery is when I use my bluetooth headphones. which by the way kickass :D

22. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yes, I'm afraid to use it. My wife got the 3G S and I got her old original. She almost never charged it (original) and just recently started charging it a couple times a week. Now, after reading this thread with all the new phone users charging daily, I think I'll just start using it all I want.

23. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to have to bring my charger to work. That's what it comes down to. It's a pain, but if that's what I am going to have to do to use my phone at work all day, then that's what I'll do. Needless to say, I am dissapointed.

24. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Just remove the battery percentage and leave just the icon. Much less stressful.