Anyone else blown away by GarageBand?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Branskins, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

I never really had a use for GarageBand on Mac but after watching the GarageBand demo twice from the event yesterday, it is probably the best example of the productivity of the iPad.

I just cannot believe how they fit all that into one app for 4.99! I finally pick up the piano again and attempt to relearn it! And learning the guitar will never be easier!

For anyone on the fence about the iPad, showing them GarageBand could really push them over because it is probably the easiest way to play with and create music!!

This will probably be the first iPad app I buy and the main reason why I cannot wait to own an iPad. This is really what tablets are for as this cannot be done as effectively on a PC!

(That was a lot of !s!)

2. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I'm very excited for it! For church, I have to train people to do the recording of the sermon.. and now it will be simple! for $5.. my church can put it on 5 iPads! That's $1 an iPad! (not that we will use 5 iPads, just an example).

Am I right that you can use the headphone jack for the input? Or do you need a USB interface?

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Yes I am extremely surprised and excited about GarageBand on iPad. Not only that but they could have charged 9.99 for what they demoed. Should prove a valuable tool for enthusiasts and professionals considering the portability of the iPad. Sure there are limitations in the digital quality, but some really amazing stuff has been created at 16/44.1.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I love MIDI

Yes this is sweet. I love the MIDI file editing capabilities that GB has. You can also sync GB projects between OSX and IOS. An app similar to GB in the app store now is Studio.HD, but lacks the MIDI.
    iMovie on the iPad is a plus also.

5. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Weren't they using some special 30-pin adaptor for attaching instruments? They really didn't talk about connecting instruments to it :(

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i would presume thats' only if you're project has less than 8-tracks, effectively useless for electronic music

7. Syk macrumors 6502a

Music Studio in the app store is pretty good also.

I just wish GB would have more than 8 tracks but oh well

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

This is what they were using. It works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
    http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

You can also use a USB audio interface like a CakeWalk UA-1G with the Camera Kit.

9. WillMak macrumors 6502a

would anyone here say that having access to garage band would be better than buying a solid state or hybrid amp for guitar then? I dunno how good the virtual amp modes are...but having a bunch of free pedals and fuzz boxes seems a lot cheaper!

10. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Electronic music has been done on 8-tracks and less. It's quite common to bounce down several finished tracks to free up the others.

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

That's true but I'm lazy :D but then iPad GB is probably more for putting ideas down while fresh in your head

12. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

^^ this.

couldn't say it better, although it probably comes down to how much flexibility you want in your songs.

13. whyhellojoe macrumors member

garageband is simply the only reason why i'm contemplating gettting an iPad 2 (after owning and being dissapointed by the first iPad)

whoever came up with using the accelorometer as a way to differenciate the velocity of the key is a genius.. this app alone is groundbreaking on so many levels to simulate real instruments.. imho

it's such an amazing app. and $4.99. that's an insane price! i'm buying it even before i get an iPad

14. urkel macrumors 68030

Its a fantastic app and I'll buy it. But lets be honest, just like on the desktop versions of Garage Band and iMovie, most people will try it once and then never try it again.

But i guess Apple doesnt care because it's more about making the sale than actually having the product used. And hey, its only $5.

15. contacted macrumors newbie

:cool:

I was totally blown away by the GB demo too, though I have not one musical bone in me, I'm gonna get it!

16. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

You mean Garage-nomoretalentrequired-Band? It's nice but the old-school methods will be lost forever ...ever ...ever ...ever [/echo]

17. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Took the words out of my mouth. I'm going to be creating some poor spending music as soon as it becomes available! It just looks so fun and easy to use.

18. whyhellojoe macrumors member

hahahahaha. or it could help some amazing genius closet songwriter with no music instrument skills write great songs. garageband is not going to help anyone create genius riffs, hooks, or melodies. it'll just ease the process imho. my glass is half full.

19. kepner macrumors 6502

A ton of guitar effects, touch instruments, and an 8-track recorder for $4.99? Sounds like a pretty great deal to me. This will be perfect for laying down ideas when away from the studio.

20. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I completely agree, GB is the thing I am most excited about for friday. the mac version is cool but the instruments are limited and this is where the iPad succeeds. Can't wait till next friday :D

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's amazing, how you can watch that video and then whine about the iPad2 not having a SD slot or USB or not enough RAM or whatever? Once again, we see Steve's claim of "magical" isn't really as absurd as it first sounded. The possibilities are mind-blowing.

22. OceanView macrumors 65816

Gonna get it as my first app after I get the new iPad.
    So much for so little.

23. nmills macrumors regular

I'm more excited about iMovie but I'm also getting GB. My kids will LOVE it!

24. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

looks awesome but how was this NOT on the ipad? im not complaining just wondering if it was lazyness

25. urkel macrumors 68030

Well, in defense of the whiners then more RAM will improve performance on intensive apps like GB, and SD/USB connectivity offers output that doesnt require a computer or wireless transfer.

Maybe these whiners aren't whining just to be jerks. Maybe they actually have logical reasons to express their needs.