anyone else disappointed with 3rd party apps??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nlivo, Nov 2, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Now I'm not saying in not grateful. I'm very thankful for all of those who have contributed in hacking and making apps for the iPod touch. But....there are pretty crappy apps out there and there aren't many good ones. The only one I really use is 'apollo" (IM). I mean there are none that I have seen use multi-touch, none that really use the features of the iPod. Airtunes streaming, appletv streaming, wireless print, copy and paste, no good IM client, no good games (tetris would be good, you swipe left, right or down to move your block and tap with two fingers to rotate). I feel like people are just convincing themselves that the 3rd party apps are good but there really isnt anything good out there that i have seen. Anyone else agree??

2. AppleMatt389 macrumors regular

I wholeheartedly agree. I was really excited to get all the 3rd party apps for the touch, but in the end I just end up deleting most of the ones I install. They're all useless really. The only ones I'd say i use on a regular basis are NES and Lights off, otherwise they're boring. It's funny, I check installer every day hoping to see some crazy new app that I hadn't seen before, I never do though :(

:apple:Matt

3. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

I am disappointed with the 3rd party apps at the moment, but i think that they will improve over time, so give it a little while and we will no longer be disappointed :)

4. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

there are alot of proof of concept apps out there right now.

5. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Glad to hear it from Touch owners.

I was thinking about getting one, but the only useful apps I could find were Mail and an IM. Couldn't be bothered with the others.

I'll wait till February and see what Apple is going to do with the SDK.

6. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, im loking forward to apple's actual apps (i do believe they will release there own apps aswell through iTunes). I don't see the point in waiting til then though.

Amen to the deleting of apps once installed. I have kept very few. And i also look at installer everyday, just hoping for something good. haha

7. gvegastiger macrumors regular

The iPhone apps are pretty cool. I'd use them all the time if there was universal wi-fi someplace.

Actually the third party apps and iphone apps make me think I should have gotten an iPhone instead.

8. Brian513A macrumors member

I agree. I was very disappointed at first, and now, I just don't even think about it anymore. I think it was all mostly just hype. :eek:

9. dschiller macrumors regular

I agree as well. I really couldn't wait to have my iPt jailbroken as soon as possible when I first got it, but now the only justification for keeping it jailbroken is NES and the customization possibilities (changing icons, wallpaper, etc). I'm actually starting to think about un-jailbreaking...

10. CaptainZap macrumors regular

What apps does the iPhone have that the Touch doesn't?

11. chall5 macrumors regular

I do agree, I just didn't fancy voiding the warrenty for a stocks or weather app or something. As previously stated I reckon some good ones will appear especially after the SDK becomes available.

12. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Mail, notes, weather, stocks etv.

13. CaptainZap macrumors regular

Hmm, how can they tell if it has been jailbroken?

14. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I agree. I mainly use the iPhone apps on my iPod... I check installer everyday for new apps but most of them are just updates for current ones.

iApp-a-day! is totaly useless, sure its cool hes releasing a app a day, but the apps are crap. You shake your ipod and the leaves come off...then it snows.... wow. I'm sure if he spent all of that time to develop one good app, it would become way more useful.

I use MSN, and i have a @msn.com account for it, so Apollo nor Chat works for me... Chat worked once, and that was a flook. I still have them installed so when they get updated, I'll know right away through installer...

Only apps I use are Mines, Lights Off and NES... and the controls for NES are pretty bad, but I'm not complaining for that, It's still playable and I know its new.

15. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

my favs

iphone apps(of course)
    Labyrnth( mostly because it is such a cool implementation of the tech)
    iblackjack(well written)
    yahtzee (cool but could use some more animation)
    ebook reader( just need bigger selections)

Probably the most important thing we need is the ability to archive websites for offline browsing, automated so those websites are automatically updated when we are in a wifi zone. This is something I doubt apple will implement so hopefully one of our hacker genius folks can make this app. I can imagine this will be a hard one...but I would pay for it if it were made.

16. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

btw...since I use community sources exclusively, can someone add the nes roms there so I can check out nes?

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

TBH, yes, I am.

Jailbroke my touch and such, whole thing was a bit 'meh' IMHO so I reverted it back to the way god intended.

18. planetbeing macrumors member

Have you guys seen the state of the API? It's a small miracle even this much is possible. For the record, we don't know how to work multitouch at all yet, let alone have an API for it. Having copy-and-paste work on all applications would require some pretty fancy hacking, probably involving dynamic libraries. You would not like the result if the library has a bug: all your apps would crash all the time. That kind of stuff is best left to Apple, who can recompile their own apps. Reversing a proprietary protocol like airtunes would take some work. No one has yet worked on capturing audio output from the iPod/iPhone.

How would you convince Safari to prepare output a printer can understand, or even in a format you can understand without having to bring your own HTML renderer. Would you need to write drivers for printers on the same network.

How can you expect im clientsof the same quality as ones that took years to develop on computers in the space of a month. You could use their backend libraries, but the entire UI has to be written from scratch.

These are all non-trivial questions that take a lot of time to be answered, even if we did have a proper UI. Forgive me, but all of you sound naive about what it takes to create a third party application right niw and have unrealistic expectations. Things will get much better after Apple releases the sdk. Then you can expect to start paying too.

19. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

TBH?

20. lamerlizer macrumors regular

lamerlizer

21. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

ummmm, a PHONE and SMS and don't forget a camera

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maps, an Add function in iCal, Mail are the ones that could easily be on the touch...

23. bgd78 macrumors newbie

My current impression (not as an actual owner of one, but as a potential buyer) is that it's just a bulky and overpriced MP3 player albeit with a cool user interface. But of course, it's got huge potential provided Apple develops/unlocks a few features and releases a good SDK to 3rd party developers...

A few things I'd like to see (in order of significance):

Music/Video streaming support (mp3, real media and windows media)
    Disk mode (i.e. ability to mount it as a removable disk)
    Web browser flash support
    PDF viewer with big file support (at least for files up to 50MB)
    Advanced calendar/planner
    Advanced calculator
    A nice board game collection

24. bloody macrumors member

it would be cool if they put monkey ball on the touch xD

25. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I tend to agree with you - the only thing I would class as a "must have" on the touch would be the Mail app from the iPhone. However, installing it would, to my mind, be piracy so I won't do it. Hopefully Apple will release the mail app officially for the touch (I'd even pay for it :) ) but until they do I've put my touch back to its factory state and will continue to use GMails (excellent new) web interface for my mail