Anyone else dropping AT&T if they change your data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by einmusiker, Mar 19, 2011.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

If I get one of the dreaded letter (I tether about twice month use maybe 100 megs at most) I will be dropping AT&T for my iPhone 4 and will be going with Verizon as I bought an unlimited sim for my iPad. This will be my way of voting with my wallet. Anyone else?

It's a shame too because I was starting to actually be satisfied with AT&T service which has gotten tolerable in my area recently

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'd probably strongly consider it. I tether occasionaly, more often to iPods/iPads than actual computers. In total I can't imagine my added usage from tethering is more than 100MB's a month.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, you are violating the TOS which you agreed to. Given that situation, I would say that at&t has the right to change your plan.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

I think the letter really is a warning to heavy users regardless of if they tether or not. Some people have reported getting the same exact letter but never tethering.

So the question is how much data (overall) do you use each month? Not tethering data. But how much iphone data do you use each month. If you are consistently over 5-10GB data (streaming pandora, slingbox etc) ATT is trying to get you off their unlimited data.

The grass isn't greener on the other side. Verizon already has stated unlimited data will be for a limited time. They are going to a tiered data system too.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I am looking forward to going to Verizon this summer. In fact, I hope Apple is so sick of at&t, they give Verizon the only 64GB model iPhone.

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Why would Apple do that? ATT and Verizon essentially have the same number of users (95 plus million) as of last quarter. Apple wants cash, doesn't matter who's buying. The only reason Verizon didn't get the iphone until last month because ATT had an exclusive contract with Verizon.

The grass isn't greener with Verizon. You should go over to howard forums with Verizon and many complain about Verizon service.

ATT and Verizon are both evil companies.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And going where? Verizon is ending their unlimited plans and I assume they'll be equally displeased with unauthorized tethering as at&t is.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This. People are also crazy if they think the exact same thing isn't going to happen on Verizon.

10. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

probably not, since i do not use 3G a lot, if they take out the 250MB and change it to 1GB for $20 a month i might ...

11. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

AT&T had an exclusive contract with Verizon!? Interesting.

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I don't think they will, but there have been many instances where at&t has let Apple down, the whole multimedia messaging, being one. Maybe Apple wants to show at&t who's boss.

13. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

No company will have unlimited data plans anymore. Mainly from asses that use 80GB a month. I don't even use 500MB a month. Don't blame the company, blame the people that are being negligent.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    And go where? Slow Verizon CDMA network or Tmobile Edge data only?
    Neither good options to me unless you decide to move out of the country with multiple GSM carriers that all use the same 2G-3G bands.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

and should!

16. mgchan macrumors member

I don't tether much (only occasionally when I'm on my laptop and there's no wifi service) and thus don't expect to get the warning. However, if I can ever get an iPad 2 (or if it takes too long, a Xoom) I will probably use tethering a lot more (still unlikely to be 5gb+).

If AT&T tells me I have to switch my data plan I will tell them sure, I will gladly switch to Verizon's data plan. Maybe I will wait until the iPhone 5 comes out (hopefully with 4G) but the potential for unlimited data usage is one of the main reasons I stuck with AT&T and their bad service.

Just curious, though, did anyone who is tethering with a limited data plan get this message?

17. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I just want an unlimited plan with tethering. I'm more than happy to pay for it. Is that asking too much? :(

TBH, I don't even use that much data. I'm consistently below 500MB. The most I have ever used is 250MB. I like having the security of the unlimited plan, though.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If AT&T sends you that notice and you know you are tethering, then its fair game. You should probably switch to a carrier that has unlimited tethering (I believe Sprint does), but if you aren't tethering and get the notice, then you should certainly talk to AT&T and get this resolved so they don't mess with your plan.

I'm sure Verizon would follow up on this well, so there is no point running.

Seriously guys, if you're gonna tether, don't abuse the system and use more than a couple GB at most. Those who are hitting 5-7GB+ seriously need to 1) buy home internet, 2) pay for AT&T's tethering plan, 3) switch to a carrier with unlimited tethering. I think I saw a post for someone who used 90GB. Ridiculous.

19. canderton macrumors member

I'm still rockin the 32GB 3GS and I'm one of the grandfathered users with unlimited data, and i plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5(assuming it actually comes out), but honestly if at&t tries to pull some crap and switch me over to tiered pricing, or if the iP5 disappoints, I'll probably just switch to Sprint and get something like the Evo 4G or whatever their newest high-end android phone is. I love my iPhone, but I'm also a broke college student, and the fact is that my bill for my 3GS alone right now is pushing $90 a month, and for a comparable plan from sprint would only be $60-$70/month(and they still offer REAL unlimited data).. its tempting me more and more. The iP5 better be damn impressive for me to stay with at$t

20. G33and macrumors newbie

this is stupid, what's the difference from the occasional tethering and streaming a **** load of netflix?

21. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

It is stupid, and it's just a way for AT&T to squeeze more money just like text messaging. Occasional tethering uses minimal data whereas streaming netflix, sirius and hulu which is well within the tos uses gobs of data

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a 3GS as well, and I think the iPhone 4 is damn impressive as it is. I'm sure the iPhone 5 won't disappoint someone who is coming from a 3GS.

23. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

I agree;)

24. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I like AT&T customer service better that is all it matters to me

25. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Please please please do that.
    AT&T is a horrible company for cracking down on unauthorized tethering.

Take your 5+GB data usage to Verizon or anyone else.

It's so odd to me.
    I used to be in the same camp where tethering should be included in the basic data plan.
    Now I am doing cartwheels with joy seeing AT&T cracking down on the abusers.

I would never imagine someone would have the cajones to use a 3G data plan as their main ISP.
    But it looks like more then a few did.

So please, stand up for your rights and leave AT&T for us unhappy lemmings.
    We will somehow survive without you.

;)