Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
They are obnoxious, not amusing whatsoever, and don't even do a good job of highlighting the features. I'm embarrassed whenever they come on.

NO! I like jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake. They are funny. You must have a VERY dry sense of humor to not like the iPhone commercials. Why do you get embarrassed when the commercials come on? That's very weird?? #

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
To me, it just sounds like you are just trying to find something that people on this forum haven't complained about yet. Next, people are gonna try whining about how the corners of the iPhone are too rounded, or that the speaker holes are a millimeter too close together (I am not saying that either of those are true, just pointing out that people can find really stupid things to complain about).

Anyways, the commercial did its job...it certainly caught your attention.

Pretty much this

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Yesssss. I've been thinking that since they showed in of their ads during the conference. Tim Cook was all "Do you know who they are?" ...crickets was all I heard.

Some of the worst commercials I've ever seen. Annoying and really just makes me change the channel. The only one I semi like is the one where Justin and jimmy are talking about the health app. Jimmy mentioned he ate some high calorie thing. I find it slightly funy. But the others are really bad

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
They are obnoxious, not amusing whatsoever, and don't even do a good job of highlighting the features. I'm embarrassed whenever they come on.

They are one of the good ads which they have made .. The similar one was in the iphone 5... These ads are complete attention grabbers.. If u are doing something and these ads run, u will look up to hear and see them leaving aside what you are doing for 30 seconds .. That's because it's clear And loud and starts with "this is the new iPhone 6 and this is the new iPhone 6 +".. Repetition. So if u miss the iphone 6, ull hear the iPhone 6+ and then when They have your attebsion they'll use a subtle comedy to keep u intact, and side by side they'll show you what it does.. In today's world they are small and sweet with little fun and they grab attention.. That's the thing companies look for.. U can make great video ads like apple has done with iPad Air and iPhone 5s , showing nothing but what ppl have done with it and how it changes their life.. But these ads need to be run after a few months of the launch, cause till then the reviews are out...

The ads like the pencil ad if iPad Air is also awesome amazing concept in 30 seconds and ends with a joke..

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
NO! I like jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake. They are funny. You must have a VERY dry sense of humor to not like the iPhone commercials. Why do you get embarrassed when the commercials come on? That's very weird?? #

I'm sorry my sense of humor is not developed enough to find a guy repeating "huge" over and over amusing. Wow, the iPhone 6+ is big? I had no idea! You better say it a few more times, maybe hold the note and add a little tremolo

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
I don't think they are really meant to appeal to the crowd here at all. Critical as people are of apples ad people lately they will target a certain demographic they wish to sell to. You guys need no advertising dollars spent in order to buy and spread the word on the merits of an apple product.

Samsung's ads are pretty poor as well but probably appeal to the large body of users who don't visit a company specific tech forum everyday.

Apples more arty ads scored quite low in feedback terms I heard as the arty/photographer type people are not the masses and those guys already buy everything apple sell.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
while I'm on the arty adverts

oneofthenine said:
Apples more arty ads scored quite low in feedback terms I heard as the arty/photographer type people are not the masses and those guys already buy everything apple sell.

.... also while I am thinking about the more arty/photographer/film maker type Apple adverts I'm going to request that apple stop making them altogether due to the terrible effect it has on some people. This is not a slight on the ads, I actually quite like them, but on the people who see them and suddenly think that there is some unique and beautiful story in their life that they must share with others by using their apple devices.

Case in point:

In the course of my work I attend a lot of regional tech focussed conferences. One I went to earlier this year started the second day with three people sharing (40 minutes each!!) the most self-indulgent crap masquerading as keynotes I have ever seen.

1. A woman who wanted to share how she had used iMovie on her iPad to create a movie telling the meaning and story of her tattoos. It ended with the terribly inspiring final note 'Everyone has a story worth sharing, what is yours?'. The rambling of nonsense went on for 30 minutes and then we were subjected to the full 10 minute video. The consensus from everyone sitting around us was that she had just made the point that everyone clearly does not have a story worth sharing.

2. Another woman had just discovered that she could use the wordpress app on her iPhone to post direct blog entries and photos. So instead of sending a few snaps to facebook where her politer friends would have dropped a like or a forced comment saying how wonderful it looks, she had created a blog that we had to go through the entirety of and experience the full tedium of her 'independent travel'. Again topped off with informing us of the true value in her iPhone in enabling her to share her story.

3. A man with his iPhone who through the artistic medium of square photos, shot at jaunty angles with excessive amounts of hipstagram type filters all over had decided he was now a professional photographer. He took to the stage to rob me of a final 40 minutes of my life as he ran through all the apps you can use to make ****** looking photos of doors (yes... really.... doors) appealing to a minority of people who assume all good photos look like an over exposed, blown out polaroid.

Each one was presented in a way that aped the apple commercials of late, so my simple request is either to stop making them or put a disclaimer on that these people are professionals and should not be imitated

:)

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
.... also while I am thinking about the more arty/photographer/film maker type Apple adverts I'm going to request that apple stop making them altogether due to the terrible effect it has on some people. This is not a slight on the ads, I actually quite like them, but on the people who see them and suddenly think that there is some unique and beautiful story in their life that they must share with others by using their apple devices.

Case in point:

In the course of my work I attend a lot of regional tech focussed conferences. One I went to earlier this year started the second day with three people sharing (40 minutes each!!) the most self-indulgent crap masquerading as keynotes I have ever seen.

1. A woman who wanted to share how she had used iMovie on her iPad to create a movie telling the meaning and story of her tattoos. It ended with the terribly inspiring final note 'Everyone has a story worth sharing, what is yours?'. The rambling of nonsense went on for 30 minutes and then we were subjected to the full 10 minute video. The consensus from everyone sitting around us was that she had just made the point that everyone clearly does not have a story worth sharing.

2. Another woman had just discovered that she could use the wordpress app on her iPhone to post direct blog entries and photos. So instead of sending a few snaps to facebook where her politer friends would have dropped a like or a forced comment saying how wonderful it looks, she had created a blog that we had to go through the entirety of and experience the full tedium of her 'independent travel'. Again topped off with informing us of the true value in her iPhone in enabling her to share her story.

3. A man with his iPhone who through the artistic medium of square photos, shot at jaunty angles with excessive amounts of hipstagram type filters all over had decided he was now a professional photographer. He took to the stage to rob me of a final 40 minutes of my life as he ran through all the apps you can use to make ****** looking photos of doors (yes... really.... doors) appealing to a minority of people who assume all good photos look like an over exposed, blown out polaroid.

Each one was presented in a way that aped the apple commercials of late, so my simple request is either to stop making them or put a disclaimer on that these people are professionals and should not be imitated

:)
Well, if you are going to make that request, I request that Samsung and other Android manufacturers stop making their commercials as well. If I have to put up with one more self righteous Android "tech", telling me about the supposed virtues of Android and the questions of "how can you live in a walled garden?", "does it bend?" and "are you a wall hugger?", I'm going to lose it.
In that case, I'd much rather sit through the presentations of people actually talking about how they used technology and not some self important tech wanna be telling me how he rooted his phone and use widgets to get him weather data 1 second faster than I can.
As it stands though, Samsung and others will continue to push this agenda that by using Android, you are somehow more technical than any other smartphone OS user on the planet. When, in reality, it's a very small minority of people that actually use their Android phones in that manner. Most of them use the phone in the exact same way that you claim that iPhone users are doing.

oneofthenine

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
Well, if you are going to make that request, I request that Samsung and other Android manufacturers stop making their commercials as well. If I have to put up with one more self righteous Android "tech", telling me about the supposed virtues of Android and the questions of "how can you live in a walled garden?", "does it bend?" and "are you a wall hugger?", I'm going to lose it.
In that case, I'd much rather sit through the presentations of people actually talking about how they used technology and not some self important tech wanna be telling me how he rooted his phone and use widgets to get him weather data 1 second faster than I can.
As it stands though, Samsung and others will continue to push this agenda that by using Android, you are somehow more technical than any other smartphone OS user on the planet. When, in reality, it's a very small minority of people that actually use their Android phones in that manner. Most of them use the phone in the exact same way that you claim that iPhone users are doing.

Agree entirely. The huge majority of android users use android phones as they are considerably cheaper.

I have no issue at all with people making movies, blogging, photo editing, etc on their phones. I do all these things all the time. I meant quite specifically this conference intro I was subjected to and not a wider set of users who do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.