Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Couldn't order online, so went into store and had my order written up on paper, only to get order placed ~7hrs later. :eek:

9:00am : AT&T Store (East Coast) opened, I was #7 in line.
9:30am : AT&T Systems go down
9:45am : Rep hand-writes my credit card information
5:04pm : Order finally processed. :confused:

Per AT&T's letter, any order placed in the "afternoon" gets delayed... which means my order placed in the early evening doesn't have a chance.

Anyone else in this boat??

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Why would you let them write your credit card number on a piece of paper?:confused:

After waiting in line for nearly an hour, I was willing to do whatever it took to take at least one step forward considering the online chaos.. After I questioned it, the rep explained it would be put in the register and ordered as soon as systems came online which would be "any minute". La di da :rolleyes:

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Same thing happened to me here, except I was first in line and my order STILL has not been processed. The store called me around 5:00 tonight and said that their computers were still down, and that my order would be processed first thing tomorrow morning. I guess I will be waiting a few days after the 24th to get my phone.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
I got one and I'm regretting it now. I don't have an order number or any kind of conformation. I'm really disappointed with the way all of this has gone down. I got him to ship it to the store instead of my house and he told me if I show up the 24th I can get my phone. I don't believe him and I'll probably go back tomorrow to make sure they shredded my credit card imprint.
As for getting my phone on the 24th...I think I better bring a chair to the front door around 5:00 in the morning. :(

kmonie360

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
I know I can't speak for every rep.. But at around 10am set they told us to stop using our system called opus. Basically because it was taking 2 hours to process..literally... I know for my customers I had to do that to I processed as soon as I could and emailed a receipt to the customer. Like everyone is saying this is bigger than the original and 3G. This does change everything... Even the way we processed orders. Lol

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
I had my pre order done manually at the store as well. I just checked my att order status, and it shows up and it's "in progress".

i'm guessing i get it delivered on time?

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Yep, but the rep called me around 8:15 pm and sent my order through. He *said it would arrive on the 23rd (no) or the 24th, maybe the 25th.

Clueless.:rolleyes: But whatever. I mentioned the backorder deal and he said I'd be okay and not to worry.

kmonie360

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
I also meant to say there was an email later in the day that said pen and paper customers would be moved ahead of customers who walked in later in the day and evidenty got their orders in first because reps didn't have a chance to process because of how busy it was

kmonie360

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Yep, but the rep called me around 8:15 pm and sent my order through. He *said it would arrive on the 23rd (no) or the 24th, maybe the 25th.

Clueless.:rolleyes: But whatever. I mentioned the backorder deal and he said I'd be okay and not to worry.

Most likely the 25th

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I had the same deal, they have to carbon-copy your credit card.

I don't know when my order officially went into the system, but I exited the AT&T store at around 1pm (after an hour on line and the process of ordering)

The order status on the AT&T website says back-order. Rep said 24th to 28th for arrival.

EDIT: My credit card was approved 8:37PM

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Not trying to make you too upset but on CNNs website, click on the Tech tab. They said that all the customers who waited in line at At&t and had there's put in manually will probably not get theirs on the 24th. CNN reports that the people who stayed home trying on their computers even untill this afternoon will probably get one on the 24th.

FrazzledRazz

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I've been lurking this forum since the annoucement was made last week about the new iphones, but I just wanted to share my experience today.

I was 4th in line this morning to preorder iphones at my local at&t store, and they too had the carbon copy reciepts because the computers were down. I went back into the store tonight once I heard that at&t had an order cutoff time of 3:30 for who would get their phones on time. The salesperson I spoke to told me that the manual orders had not been processed yet and I would probably get my phone the first week of July or I could go "into the trenches" on release day and try to get one then. WTH?!? I went into the store 3 times this weekend to get some answers and they all told me to get to the store as early as I could to preorder and I would have it on the 24th (or the 25th at the latest).

What really boggles my mind is that they didn't think to start processing these in the order they came in the minute the computers went back online a few hours later. Instead they pushed the orders aside and processed the other walk ins so they get their phones before the people who were there first. :mad::mad::mad:

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
FrazzledRazz said:
I've been lurking this forum since the annoucement was made last week about the new iphones, but I just wanted to share my experience today.

I was 4th in line this morning to preorder iphones at my local at&t store, and they too had the carbon copy reciepts because the computers were down. I went back into the store tonight once I heard that at&t had an order cutoff time of 3:30 for who would get their phones on time. The salesperson I spoke to told me that the manual orders had not been processed yet and I would probably get my phone the first week of July or I could go "into the trenches" on release day and try to get one then. WTH?!? I went into the store 3 times this weekend to get some answers and they all told me to get to the store as early as I could to preorder and I would have it on the 24th (or the 25th at the latest).

What really boggles my mind is that they didn't think to start processing these in the order they came in the minute the computers went back online a few hours later. Instead they pushed the orders aside and processed the other walk ins so they get their phones before the people who were there first. :mad::mad::mad:

I had a similar experience, except I ordered it in an out of town AT&T store since I'm traveling but I won't be here starting the week after launch, and they said they can't change the address....how the he'll am I going to get my ozone if it comes in July when I'm 6 states away??? Unacceptable!

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
I had my pre order done manually at the store as well. I just checked my att order status, and it shows up and it's "in progress".

i'm guessing i get it delivered on time?

same with me but my confirm email says ships on or after 24th. when I went to the store a few hours ago the kid had no clue what to tell me as he was confused himself now.

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
I got one and I'm regretting it now. I don't have an order number or any kind of conformation. I'm really disappointed with the way all of this has gone down. I got him to ship it to the store instead of my house and he told me if I show up the 24th I can get my phone. I don't believe him and I'll probably go back tomorrow to make sure they shredded my credit card imprint.
As for getting my phone on the 24th...I think I better bring a chair to the front door around 5:00 in the morning. :(

UPDATE: I don't know what to think now. I just checked my credit card account and it shows $299.00 pending for AT&T! Is there an order number on the manual tickets???

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio

This better be BS coming from that salesperson.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
I guess I'm lucky. They were doing the paper receipts, the rep had just about all my info down but tried it through the computer and it went through, so my order was in the system around 12PM eastern time. Hopefully I'll get mine on Thursday. If not, oh well.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This better be BS coming from that salesperson.

Agreed. I will be furious if people who arrived at the store after me receive their phones first. I was at my AT&T store 3 hours before it opened to make sure that I was first in line. I will be calling the store again first thing in the morning to see what their plan is for processing manual orders like mine.

Nye1011

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I had a similar run in today with the pen and paper, but the rep was rebellious when they said not to enter the orders in the computer and he put mine in and it went through he was like success! I felt bad for all the other people around me that we're getting the pen and paper. I got my order number and an email just 3 hours ago. Says I should get it the 24th or 25th

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Agreed. I will be furious if people who arrived at the store after me receive their phones first. I was at my AT&T store 3 hours before it opened to make sure that I was first in line. I will be calling the store again first thing in the morning to see what their plan is for processing manual orders like mine.

Yeah, well I can tell you my similar experience since this thread seems to suit my day.

Arrived at store around 10 am. Store was relatively empty. A couple of people were in front of me. No biggie... then I started noticing the AT&T people start to get fidgety because of the server problems.

Left at 11:30 ish with my order on an old ancient credit card swiper dongle thingy. I questioned it, but the rep insisted my order was in the computer and no problems. I guess at this point I assumed it would be processed in the order it was received. Common sense.

As I was leaving work this evening I got a call from him needing part of my credit card info. Actually, he didn't even know what kind of card I used to complete the transaction. He quickly asked me "Did you use a debit card?" I suppose so he could cancel my transaction and tell me to swing by tomorrow and try again. This tells me my order was processed at 8:15 pm, NOT 11:30 am, like I was originally promised.

My order on AT&T says qnty 1 backordered so I can only hope for the best, but assume I fall in that July 2nd category.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, well I can tell you my similar experience since this thread seems to suit my day.

Arrived at store around 10 am. Store was relatively empty. A couple of people were in front of me. No biggie... then I started noticing the AT&T people start to get fidgety because of the server problems.

Left at 11:30 ish with my order on an old ancient credit card swiper dongle thingy. I questioned it, but the rep insisted my order was in the computer and no problems. I guess at this point I assumed it would be processed in the order it was received. Common sense.

As I was leaving work this evening I got a call from him needing part of my credit card info. Actually, he didn't even know what kind of card I used to complete the transaction. He quickly asked me "Did you use a debit card?" I suppose so he could cancel my transaction and tell me to swing by tomorrow and try again. This tells me my order was processed at 8:15 pm, NOT 11:30 am, like I was originally promised.

My order on AT&T says qnty 1 backordered so I can only hope for the best, but assume I fall in that July 2nd category.

At least you have an order number and it is in the system... All I have is the crappy carbon paper with my credit card number and the date on it, as shown here: http://gizmodo.com/5564314/this-is-how-att-is-taking-iphone-4-orders-now

I can only hope for the best.

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
IBradMac said:

Left at 11:30 ish with my order on an old ancient credit card swiper dongle thingy. I questioned it, but the rep insisted my order was in the computer and
no problems. I guess at this point I assumed it would be processed in the order it was received. Common sense.

I didn't get an email because I don't think they had my address in their system. I went in at 11am to pre order. My card has a pending charge for the amount of the phone, but on AT&Ts website, it still says in progress... No shipping dat, no backorder quantity....what do you think this means?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.