Anyone else gets poor wifi reception with their iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by memphis1974, Jul 7, 2010.

1. memphis1974 macrumors newbie

I received my iPhone4 this afternoon and I'm surprised how poor the wifi reception is. As I'm typing this, my iPhone is on my desk, four feet away from my wireless router (Airport Extreme), and there is only one sheet of plywood in between the two. Despite being so close, the iPhone's wifi reception indicator shows 2 bars out of 3.

The router is on the third story of our house. If I go down one floor, then I lose one more bar. If I go to the first floor, I lose my wifi connection. There's no "death grip" here. The phone is laying flat on a desk/table. On the other hand, with my iphone 3GS (and my macbook) I get 3 bars out of 3 everywhere in the house.

Anyone got wifi reception as bad as me with their iPhone4?

2. dodgerfan macrumors newbie

I do.

Although my problems are increased by the death grip. Now that I've had a week or two to enjoy my phone, I'm beginning to think like Steve ......just don't hold the phone that way.

I mean it bothers me the wifi reception jumps up and down but all in all my phone is perfect. Now if I had random drops like ur describing I might consider getting it at least checked out if not replaced all together.

3. josh1231 macrumors regular

That's interesting, I have an airport extreme and get really good reception, even when in the basement on the other side of the house.

One thing I have noticed though, is the decreased speed my Iphone 4 gets. My Imac I get 19.7 mb up and 19.9 down, but with my iphone on my wifi connection, I only get a little over 12 up and down.

Not sure what the reason is for this, are you having the same thing?

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

My wifi reception decreased as soon as I updated my 3GS to iOS 4.0. My iPhone 4 is no different. Seems like a lot of issues with the software.

5. Torq macrumors regular

No, none.

It is markedly better than my 3GS or my iPad. Not that either were bad. But the furthest room in the house (4K+ sqft) from my router (TimeCapsule) was borderline for both ... the iPhone 4 has a solid, and fast, connection there.

6. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Where do you live and who is your cable provider? I can only dream of those types of speeds.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

i've noticed that my wifi reception reaches farther than my 3GS.

8. josh1231 macrumors regular

I live in a suburb of Kansas City. They actually have 50 mb up and down, but I can't afford it so I have to have the 20/20.

9. allonym macrumors regular

Me too. I now get reception in every room of my house. I'm really pleased with this.

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I get great wifi reception with the 802.11n.

I can now use wifi out on my back porch (my router is buried in my basement somewhere) of which my iPhone 3G was never capable of performing. People have to make sure that the settings on there routers are optimized...sadly the iPhone 4 only works on the 2.4GHz bandwidth, which is terribly crowded.

5GHz can be great, but you can increase signal reach and speeds by setting things like Wide Range (40MHz instead of 20), appropriate channels, and setting network modes to N-Only devices. Look up what's best for your router.

But what I am saying, we are all nerds here; you guys know this already :rolleyes:

11. memphis1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Visit to Apple store then

Thanks for all the replies. I guess my next step is to pay a visit to my local Apple store.

12. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

I find the wifi on the IP4 much better than my 3GS in both speed and range.

13. King Luis macrumors 6502

try resetting your network settings on your phone. i know it's solved my 3g data problem so far. and wifi seems a bit quicker on hooking up from 3g.

14. nizz macrumors regular

no data gets through when i hold it in my natural position (the death grip), even when i'm standing right next to the router

15. memphis1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a reason why I like Apple. Went to the Apple store, talked to a genius who looked at my phone for about one minute, confirmed that something was wrong, then exchanged it for a new one on the spot.

16. stathisaska macrumors newbie

Poor wifi

I have the same problem...
    I was with a friend of mine, we both have iphone 4. We both switched on the wifi and he found 10 wifi connections, mine found 0 ! My iphone 4 is sitting next to the time machine and there are times it gets 2 bars !!

17. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I get excellent wifi reception on my iphone 4 with 4.01 firmware.

In my condo's parking lot, sometimes i'll be finishing my cig, and sitting in my car.....has to be at least 150 feet away from my 2nd floor unit, and it will grab on.

/mind blown

18. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Please PM me, i need to go back to 6 hours ago before i got indigestion from that deluxe pizza i had for dinner, and buy a lotto ticket.

k, thx