Anyone else getting spam phone pretending to be Apple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dr_Charles_Forbin, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

310-633-2670 robocall, pretending to be Apple, telling me my iCloud account has been compromised. I called Apple to verify - no calls from them. They've called at least 8 times already. Just FYI.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Guess they're expanding from the Microsoft scam calls. I just use OOMA and have all their call blocking features enabled. It really cut down the junk calls. Finally just set it to block any calls not in my phonebook. If they aren't flagged by Nomorobo, community blacklist or my personal blacklist. They get dumped straight to voicemail. If the call is legitimate they'll leave a voicemail and I'll whitelist the number. Any of the blacklisted numbers gets a phone number disconnected message.

Too bad T-Mobile doesn't have a similar option. I'd add call blocking in a heart beat. I've heard of some apps that offer this. But I don't want some small developer getting access to all my call data and who knows what else.

3. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

Spoofed number, not really Apple. I get them all the time that appear to be from my NY area code, even though I now live in CA. Legitimate companies and the IRS will not call you, any will only get written notices.

4. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Yeah, I have them blocked now. My problem is that I called Apple, gave them the phone number and they didn’t tell me it was a known spam caller (I think I read it’s actually the phone numbers of an Apple store in CA). They also suggested that I respond to the call and see what happens. It’s just coincidental because (1) I had both of my Macbooks in the repair depot last week and (2) my brother in law is having problems trying to change the password on his Mac and iTunes which, since I set up his Mini, is still somehow linked to me despite a few calls to Apple to straighten it out and actually deleting my account on his machine. I thought the first few times it was them trying to get in touch with him as a callback and called me instead because the accounts are somehow commingled. Under normal circumstances, I would have treated it as spam.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So let's make that clear. You're saying you are NOT getting spam calls from Apple.

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Yup. Mom keeps getting scam "AppleCare" on her caller id. Yes, she has a Mac, but no AppleCare (that expired some time ago).

7. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

No, I am not. Why would Apple scam call me?

8. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

I think what he's saying is your title is misleading.

9. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Point taken. If I can edit the title of the thread I’ll do it.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, I've never received a call from apple or even someone alleging they're from apple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

my cell area code is 310 and I get at least 2-3 robo calls per day. For what I pay to have this phone you'd think they'd try to stop it.

12. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Or at least tell their customers it’s a known fraud when they call asking about it and not ask them “well, why not try answering it?” Apple’s whole “We wont allow auto call blocking on a device with the same phone number prefix” policy is kind of parochial - it’s my damn phone - let me choose if I want to block it or not.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Robot killer app works great to block spam calls.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

I get the calls from “Microsoft” all the time but I have never got one from Apple. It makes me wonder if they have acess to a database or if they are just playing hit or miss.

15. lie2me macrumors member

We just got two robocalls in a row with that number saying it is Apple Support that went to voice mail.

An online article was written about this -
    https://medium.com/@LanceUlanoff/my-call-with-an-fake-apple-support-scam-artist-711d7f87d9d

16. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

My wife has gotten at least one of these calls. Me, none.

17. Cordorb macrumors regular

I just get the "this is the IRS we are sending the police " spam calls

18. smirking macrumors 65816

smirking

This is a pretty common scam. It's so common that someone even did a short award winning podcast series on it. An online reporter and co-host of the Podcast Reply All, Alex Goldman, got one of those calls and decided to play along and boy did he play along. Goldman strung the guy on the other side along for a good long time and eventually talked him into an in person meeting, which required Goldman to travel to India.

It's a good listen, but it's not short. They explain how an operation like this works and about the people who run them.
    https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/long-distance

19. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

I love these. Must have at least 75 arrest warrants against me by now. Oh well.

20. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Several of us have been getting calls from ourselves. You look at the phone and it shows your own name as the caller. Very weird. When I answer no one is there. Kind of a twilight zone experience. My son answered one and it was a fake ATT call. Can you block your own number?

21. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

"AppleCare" is the name of Apple's support organization, not just their extended warranty program. Many people know you don't have to have an existing AppleCare warranty to call AppleCare.

Whether you've paid for extended warranty coverage is besides the point, though. These are scam calls. They could say they're calling from Apple, Microsoft, IRS... the whole point is to fake the appearance of legitimacy by choosing a name that a high percentage of "prospects" are likely to be doing business with. If you have reason to believe, "Maybe they have a good reason for calling me," then you may pick up the phone. If they're obviously off the mark you'll ignore it as spam.

Spammers and scammers are little different than legitimate sales organizations, in that they like to build lists of "qualified sales leads." The more they know, the more legitimate the next call can seem, the more likely you'll fall for it. They start by randomly dialing numbers to find which are active and which are not. Since cell phones nearly always use different area codes than land lines, they'll hone their pitch accordingly. If you accidentally divulge in one scam call that you have a Mac, eg., "Why is Microsoft calling me, I have a Mac" chances are the next call will say "Apple" in one form or another. Scammers sell their lists to other scammers, just like other sales organizations do.

Who is the "they" you'd like to stop this? Your telephone service provider should be the one on the top of your list - they're the ones who pass the call along to your phone, including that spoofed Caller ID. Phone manufacturers can offer software features like blocked lists, but the real control is at the telcos. Government regulators should also be high on the list, as they can put more teeth into enforcement than they do.

Still, the bottom line is that as much as we'd like calls of this sort to end, it's part of the price we pay for making ourselves available. Woe unto AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint if they were to accidentally block calls from our family, friends, doctors, etc., or deny phone service to a legitimate business.

22. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I got the "there's a warrant out for your arrest" call from the "I..R..S!"

23. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Oh man I play with them every time .
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    I get some with just a + or a +++. No numbers. Or I’ve got one with all 1s like 1111111111 etc.