Anyone else getting the last minute 3G S itch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jun 19, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

So I had previously decided against buying a 3G S⃣ since I already have a 3G, but I just happened to drive by my local AT&T store and no line ... hmmmm, for some reason this has made me get the last minute itch. Anyone else?

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

3. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Do you have to preorder or can you just waltz in at 7 am and drop the money for it?

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yes!!

Im thinking of selling 3G and getting 3GS on pay and go but wondering what 02 can do about me selling my 3G whilst in contract...

5. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, I mean I'm sure I can get most ( if not all ) of the purchase cost of my 3G S⃣ by selling my 3G on EBay. I just want to be sure that it won't extend my contract with AT&T and that i'll be able to get my upgrade discount when the 2010 iPhone comes out. I'm not one of those that feel entitled to upgrade discounting ( subsidy ) because I know I haven't had it long enough, but if I'm paying full price for the 3G S⃣ I want to be sure I get the subsidy on the 2010 iPhone.

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

If you haven't pre-ordered you have to wait until normal opening hours, but essentially yes you can.

7. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

The speed would be nice, but I rarely find this to be much a problem anyway, and for the sake of video, a compass and being able to talk to my phone, I really can't justify the money.

8. sananda macrumors 68020

I'm feeling very itchy. But the 32GB 3GS is very expensive at £538 and it was only 9 months ago, I paid £399 for a 16GB 3G.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep, definitely itching here. Unfortunately, in these tough times I can't justify over £500 for a cell phone :(

10. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

I got the itch last night and now I have a 16 gb White iPhone 3gs in my hand ! Totally glad I got one now.

11. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

:eek: Can anyone? That's CRAZY.

I'm definitely getting the itch though, I can't justify $85+ a month for phone service. Plus AT&T's coverage in northern Idaho is even more despicable than it is other places (hard to believe I know). It's just so cool.

12. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Why is it that much? Where are you? It's £440.40 on the Apple website, but you must be talking about the 32Gig which is about £540.

I wonder why it's so much more expensive in the UK. It's under £250 here in the US for the 16G.

13. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I was planning on holding off on upgrading from my 1st gen iphone till AT&T got the whole tethering/MMS thing worked out, but decided to head over to one of the local Apple stores when I get off of work @ 6am local time.

14. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Posted my white 3G on Craigslist tonight for $300 and got a lot of replies. And I saw the videos showing how fast the 3GS is compared to the 3G. So...I'm now pushed over the edge and will be buying a 3GS tomorrow. A $100 upgrade cost and a new 2 year contract is something I can easily tolerate.

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Just use the one you have. The 3G S is faster and does video but, I personally don't think that the differences are great enough at this time to upgrade. The next version should be an awesome upgrade.

Just wait ... you'll be glad you did instead of succumbing to this mornings impulse.

Cheers.

16. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

When the next iPhone comes out, I'll sell the 3GS for $100 below the cost of the new model. And the cycle repeats :)

17. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

But in all honesty, if I can upgrade without extending my contract for $399 for the 16Gig, and then sell my current 8Gig 3G for about the same price ... why wouldn't you do that?

18. Que macrumors 6502

they can't do anything.

i'm selling mine while still in contract and using the cash to go towards what they charge me for cancelling. the remainder of the contract that they're going to demand of me will be payment for the phone, therefore it's mine to do what i want with.

p.s. it's currently on ebay starting at £150 and a buy now price of £275

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Didn't you say earlier that you won't be sure if you will be able to upgrade in 2010 is you do so now? Sounds like a good enough reason to me!:)

Cheers.

20. Que macrumors 6502

precisely, that's what i intend to do. my yearly upgrade costs will be about £100-£150 i guess.

that way i get the 3gs AND next years upgrade. it appears that people on here think that if they skip the 3gs then they'll be laughing next year while us 3gs owners will be crying over our compasses.

ummm, no. i'm happy with an annual outlay to have every years upgrade.

21. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

heeheehee...we're the smart ones:D

although, if Apple takes iphone exclusivity to another service provider, I'll be stuck with a year left on my contract and no new iphone :(

22. cap'njack macrumors member

Yep, I really have!

I have offered my phone to a few friends for £300 and if anyone takes me up on it then I'll buy the 16GB 3GS...if they don't I'll stay with my 3G.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, I was talking about the 32GB one: it's a bit of a struggle managing apps, music and videos on my 16GB 3g (it's pretty much the only iPod I use now), so if I were to upgrade it would be to the 32GB.
    The reason it's so much is because I'm not upgrade eligible until December.

To upgrade now would mean I'd have to pay off the rest of my contract ( 7 months @ £45 per month) and then pay another £175 for the phone on another 18 month contract.

This would make the total £490

Alternatively (and this would be my preferred route to avoid getting tied in to another 18 months contract) the 32GB iPhone on PAYG would be £540 and I could just swap my SIM into it.

If I was upgrade eligible, the phone would just be £175 on a £45 contract which is more reasonable!

24. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I just checked with AT&T ( Which is where all AT&T questions should be directed, and not to this forum IMO ) and it will not affect my contract at all, and I will be upgrade eligible for the 2010 upgrade pricing. :D

25. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Yep! Well it's not quite a last minute itch, it's an "Wow, I really need a new phone.. Look! A new iPhone! I want it!" kinda itch.