Anyone else getting tired of plastic....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Giver '94, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'm not trying to throw a fit, but I'm really starting to hate my iPhone's plasticy-ness. It scratches no matter how you use it and one drop makes the whole phone look like s***. I know you're just going to tell me to put a case on it, but I have and it makes no difference. I've tried the Contour Flick, InCase Slider, and InCase Protective Cover and none of them make any difference whatsoever. I REALLY hope the next generation iPhone is metal because I hate the current back. I don't honestly care about how the signal gets affected because I'd rather have a phone with a slightly weaker signal than a phone that cracks and scratches every single day of normal use. :mad::(:rolleyes::apple:

2. Katuls macrumors member

[​IMG]

This is what I use. the Element case. Made in polymer (pictured), or Aluminum alloy. Indestructible.

elementcase.com

3. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

That has to be one of the ugliest cases I have ever seen. :eek:

It looks like those cases people put their very expensive baseball cards in.

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Sorry but I'd rather have signal strength over design any day. I do however like the design of the 1st gen backing better (even though I'm loving the all black iphone. The 1st gen was built like a tank and was impossible to scratch. Hopefully this next gen coming this summer can go back to a MBP aluminum looking backing and play nice with any RF issues.

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I just hate getting fingerprints all over it, that's why I bought a case. Sometimes I would take it off and feel the plastic, it actually feels good. :)

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Not quite for my taste as well with regards to that 2nd post pics.

On my side I'm fine with the iPhone's casing, so far it still looks close to being pristine - it's the chrome bezel near the dock adapter which is somewhat scratched due to charging and what not. I've used the Neo case and so far the back is as good when I bought on the first day.

I guess it just really depends on the user, but as you said it would be better if they make a more sturdy casing just for unexpected falls.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The case idea is awesome until you, oh, try to use a dock or a holder in your car that was made to fit the phone, not a phone with a case. I have murdered my phone at times with minimal scratches on the back. The front is fine because of the screen cover (a must-have). A $200 phone/iPod shouldn't require anything more than a screen cover to keep from looking like a detonated grenade. Use whatever stuff Motorola used for the Razr. It was metallic and didn't scratch near as much as some of you talk about the iPhone 3G doing.

8. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Not sure how you treat your iPhone, but the back of my 3G is scratch free ever since July and all I use is a leather belt holster to keep it in. The metal bezel around the screen is a different matter but that doesn't bother me so much. If your phone is getting scratched as you describe then it's probably time for something like Invisible Shield to keep things from getting worse. You won't see a metal back in the next hardware release I'm fairly certain, but maybe you'll get lucky and the next one will be ceramic or something but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.

9. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

See what I don't understand about the issues with metal casings is how it totally disrupts signal. Can't the signal just be received through the glass of the screen?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'd really like to see the iPhone become more like those mock-ups we've been seeing lately. Oh and a definite NO on that case. I don't think a $300 dollar phone needs to be transported in a safe; it should be strong enough to be used without a case.

Like this... ME LIKE!!! :D

Attached Files:

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If you always held your phone so that the glass was aimed towards the cell tower you're currently connected to, sure that would work. Mobile phone radio signals are omnidirectional, and RF signals usually don't like to pass through metal... it's as simple as that.

11. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Ah I see. Maybe they could just do a really small patch of non-metal like they do on the Touches. :)

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That's why the first generation iPhone had a plastic bottom on the back, that's where the antennas were located. Despite this, the metal back was still an impedance to the signal strength.

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

That is very very true. I don't mind the plastic if it means much better signal strength like the 3G brought. :D

14. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Ya I totally have understood WHY they switched to plastic, but it amazes me that they chose such flimsy material.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, I like your al/unibody iPhone! I would buy (4) tomorrow...

16. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Thanks. I can't take credit for it, but would definitely jump in line for one right now. :D

17. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Poor signal on the first iPhone if you have both, and compare, you can tell. I don't know of a better material that the phone signal can go through well. Don't most phones use plastic on their backs?

18. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I didn't have the original, and yes most phones are plastic, but the iPhone isn't most phones.

My main beef with the plastic back is how flimsy and crack/scratch prone it is. I know about 20 people with the enV 2 which is also all plastic and they can treat it like garbage without any worry. Not that I want to treat my iPhone like that, but I feel like I have to make a conscious effort to make sure it doesn't get put in a place where it may get scratched etc.

19. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I have my phone in an Incase and the back is completely flawless. How could you continue to scratch it while it was in the case? My best who uses his without a case has a few scratches, but nothing like you describe. Have you been using your phone as a hockey puck?

20. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

:D:D No.

I tried to use the Slider but it scratched up the bezel because any dust or other stuff that got caught in it would scratch. I'm a very clean person and I take great care of my electronics, but it just seems impossible to use without issues. Maybe I'm just paranoid about scratches. ;):)

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had both v1 iPhone and the 3G iPhone, and to be honest; not only is it difficult to remember what it was like with v1 iPhone reception, the reception seems to be about the same in my area with either iPhone ranging 2-4 bars with the occasional "no service" floating around if I'm walking throughout the house. Best phone service when I leave the iPhone in one spot and utilize the BT...

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only comparison I have is from testing my first gen iPhone vs. a 3G at an Apple Store. I turned WiFi off on both. Inside a mall, my phone got 2 bars and the 3G phone got 5. I know it's just one test, but that was pretty convincing.

However, I vote for a retractable antenna! It can be just like having a walkie-talkie from the 1980s. Retro!!!

23. Mr. Giver '94 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

That's really funny because if you've ever played with an LG Voyager, it actually has a TV antenna. LOL :D

24. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I don't it looks tacky even if it is a photoshop mockup, Slide case cover batteries are so 1990.

25. ajthomason macrumors 6502

With regards to the scratching issue, I use one of these:

[​IMG]

It is just a leather pouch that I slide my iPhone into when I put it in my pocket. It works surprisingly well (I have one tiny scratch, and no more) and I've been using it since the day the iPhone 3Gs were released.