Anyone else going CASELESS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohmurf, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ohmurf macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Has anyone on this forum been successful with the iPhone 4 without a case? I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'd like some data on what my chances of full functionality are. I do not like cases (I've used the original iPhone caseless for almost 3 years now, with no damage), and though I'm right handed I in fact hold the phone in my left hand to talk and surf, so I think I'm probably sunk and will go Android. But, I thought I'd ask before going thru the hassle and wait of getting on a waitlist/getting the phone/having to return it/cancel AT&T (my current phone is, while cosmetically fine, after 3 years painfully slow).

SO: here are my questions. Please respond only if you go caseless!

1. Where do you use your phone? (city, state)
    2. Do you typically hold the phone in your left hand, covering the spot?
    3. How is your reception? Do you suffer attenuation, and if so is it enough to degrade quality/drop calls?
    4. Compared to your previous phone, if applicable?
    5. Are you on your first iPhone 4, or have you exchanged it? If so, any improvement?

Thanks so much!
    Dave

2. BadMoon macrumors 6502

LOL! Clearly searching is not an option and OCD is a factor. Good luck!

3. ohmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

I searched for both "caseless" and "without a case" and didn't find anyone answering the question I'm asking, just a lot of people talking about cosmetics or saying that they had to use a case.

And I don't think "numbering things" is exclusively an OCD phenomenon.

4. BadMoon macrumors 6502

You're holding the interwebs wrong. Seriously the info is out there. Just scroll down and check a few pages. It's been discussed and in great detail. However, I will say that all I have is a bumper and I have no scratches or anything. Phone works great.

5. dewdst macrumors member

6. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hello,
    Has anyone on this forum been successful with the iPhone 4 without a case? I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'd like some data on what my chances of full functionality are. I do not like cases (I've used the original iPhone caseless for almost 3 years now, with no damage), and though I'm right handed I in fact hold the phone in my left hand to talk and surf, so I think I'm probably sunk and will go Android. But, I thought I'd ask before going thru the hassle and wait of getting on a waitlist/getting the phone/having to return it/cancel AT&T (my current phone is, while cosmetically fine, after 3 years painfully slow).

SO: here are my questions. Please respond only if you go caseless!

1. Where do you use your phone? (city, state) DC
    2. Do you typically hold the phone in your left hand, covering the spot?no, genreally make calls with the mic/headphones. If I am holding it, it's in my left hand. No reception issues
    3. How is your reception? Do you suffer attenuation, and if so is it enough to degrade quality/drop calls? see above
    4. Compared to your previous phone, if applicable?about the same (3G) if not better
    5. Are you on your first iPhone 4, or have you exchanged it? If so, any improvement?day zero phone

Thanks so much!
    Dave

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I know it can be difficult to find the exact information you want scattered all over the place in many threads, so I understand your desire to have everyones experiences in one thread. I'll give you what I have.

background: I have had a 3G since launch. No case. now I have had an ip4 since launch and no case YET. but i will due to reception issues...

1) Oklahoma city- reception issues! the magnitude varies depending on my location. some places only go down to 2 to 3 bars, but in my apartment it goes all the way down to searching
    Dallas, TX- NO reception issues. It may go down a bar, but then it goes right back up.
    Waco, TX- reception issues... similar to OK city

2) I use both hands. but I usually only hold with the tips of my fingers so I don't really touch the death spot

3) answered above. I haven't really had noticeably larger reception degradation or dropped calls opposed to my 3G, but I can replicate the issue if I try. The thing that's been the most annoying is the proximity sensor... which will be fixed with software update

4) Seems similar in actual call quality to 3G (but iphones aren't really known for call quality). If anything it has been slightly poorer reception than my 3G, but not terribly so.

5) I'm on my first iphone 4.

With all the said, I am definitely going to be getting a case. At least to compare reception issues. Plus, even if I prefer keeping it naked I can use it when I go out to bars or places I might worry about it breaking more. They are free so I might as well :)

9. bniu macrumors 6502a

ironically, mine got scratched with a case on. Abandoned the case, and haven't had any accidents yet, though I have yet to get a clear voice call on my iPhone 4 so far. I have switched back to using my 3GS for voice calls and iPhone 4 for everything else...

i'll be passing by an apple store tmr, hopefully I can get them to swap it out, maybe that'll fix my reception issues and "fix" the screen scratch in the process.

I REFUSE to use a case ever! I like using my phones without cases, and I end up taking better care of them without cases.

10. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Dropped a call 2nd day I had it. 3rd day it was cutting in and out.

Put a case on it and it has been smooth sailing. I actually prefer the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the best use out of this phone, it is recommended (by me, myself, and I) to use a case.

11. uneek1 macrumors regular

Where did you get that case?? I like it!

12. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

13. uneek1 macrumors regular

14. kuaiyouming, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

+1

16. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I agree with the sentiment here- if you've generally got decent bars where you spend your time- you don't have to worry about the attenuation issue since it won't put you below the bottom line. I live in LA and while reception is spotty in a few areas, I've yet to drop a call (at least from the death grip issue)

As a tech-savvy guy, I'm always aware of what kind of signal I have when I make a call, so when I'm out of town- I will find myself trying to avoid the problematic area.

I went naked for a few weeks, but just got a bumper - mostly because it raises the glass off the table when you set it down just enough to protect it... I managed to get a nasty scratch on the back from a rouge grain of sand on a glass table exactly 1 hour before it showed up at my doorstep. :(

I've really come to love the bumper- it gives the phone a good healthy grip factor which I was concerned about and basically eliminates all concerns of death gripping. I still may decide to go case less at times in the future.

17. ohmurf thread starter macrumors newbie

The very specific thing I'm trying to find out here is what the experience of people who use the phone in their left hand without a case is. According to some posters here, so long as I'm in an area with high signal strength I won't have a problem....but some videos I've seen show the data signal completely stopping at the slightest touch. What I'm afraid of is having to be super gingerly cautious while holding the phone in my left hand...will the slightest contact of my palm to the spot drop a call/stop data flow?

Thanks to the people that have replied with their experiences. Badmoon, I use the internet very well...all the previous threads on this issue focus on scratches and aesthetics, or the posters don't state which hand they use. By searching "naked" I was eventually able to find exactly one post answering my question (again, left handed, caseless signal). I'm prepared to be dazzled if you can find more! But the fact that you are telling me about your scratches (which is not at all relevant to what I'm asking) tells me you're not much better at the interweb than I am.

Dave

18. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would love to just that after having cases on my White 16GB 3G and White 32GB 3 GS I decided to go for the black one and Fter everything I am reading about cracks in the glass ummm I have a case.

I use it causeless when I am just sitting at my desk or on my couch but other than that $299 is a lot of $ for a phone so I am protecting it bc the replacement cost is not worth $200

I am not Steve Jobs who can drop his phone 30 times a month and get it fixed for Free so let him go completely causeless not I.

19. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I had 3 iPhones: 3G, 3GS and 4 now...none of them have a single scratch.
    I hate bumpers and any non-removable cases, they are all so ugly and kill the iPhone design/look. I use a case to "store" the phone but when i phone, surf, use it, it is without case.
    I like the Beyzacases they are not to expensive and are made of very good level leather and look good to me.
    http://www.beyzacases.com/
    X

20. mmyers0520 macrumors regular

that looks good

21. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

22. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

not enough.

23. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

How many more threads like this will there be?

24. spacemanspifff macrumors 6502

spacemanspifff

Buy and forget

Just buy the damn phone - you know you're gonna anyway. Don't look at the signal bars all the time [who does that by the way?] and you will not notice any problem with the iPhone 4.

Unlike some people around here, I actually have one, had it since they released it here in UK and it's not perfect, I can reproduce the death touch. However, I don't use a case - didn't use one on my old 1st gen iPhone either. Don't get me wrong, I still want Apple to fix the death touch spot with a coating on the steel, but looks like they aren't going to be doing that for me.

In answer to your questions, in everyday use it's fine, I get people all the time saying, "Oh you have an iPhone 4, I've heard that it doesn't work" all I say in reply is, "I have no problems with it". Whenever I need to make a call I just make one, I don't study the bars, never have - sometimes the line is bad and I just hang up and try again - this usually works, same with any mobile phone.

I will be getting a Free bumper from Apple - but only because they are FREE - I don't think I'll put it on the phone, but it will be good for when I sell it on as I imagine all used buyers will want a case on it.

If you find that you drop a lot of calls holding it in your left hand, just switch hands or stick a piece of scotch tape on the side and you'll be fine. This is the best smart phone you can get - so don't bother with the droid just because you think you'll drop a few calls.

25. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm