All iPads Anyone else going from Mini to Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jp700p, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

I bought the iPad Mini last year because it was small and portable. I loved it! However, under certain conditions (When its on my lap, its difficult to read the words or movies), I wish I had the bigger iPad.

Because the Air is thinner and lighter in all angles, i'm going with the Air this time. Anyone else doing this?

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Oh my goodness who would do this???? How could you even think of such a thing!!!?

Just kidding, of course some people will do this. It's all in what you need.

3. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I am going for the Air cause I only owned a large screen iPad (4th gen) for a short time and now want even more cake and icing too (larger screen). I'll more than likely just keep my current mini with cellular.

See my thread about people buying the current Mini even though they preferred a larger screen. Now we can get retina and thinner/lighter form factor in a larger iPad.

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I am. We'll see on the Mini Retina release day whether that idea sticks (or 14 days after purchase of the Air, whichever comes first).

I find myself taking off my glasses more and more often when surfing on the Mini. Sign of getting older, I guess. Combine that with the extreme weight loss of the Air (from iPad 3/4 days), and it seems worthwhile to try.

Clint

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I bought my wife a Mini over the summer, and was convinced that I would buy myself one if the next version had retina. My main motivation for this was that the size and weight of the larger model were becoming, frankly, a pain in the butt. However, the iPad Air solves those problems. It has significantly less bulk and weight, and looks like it would be perfectly fine as a reader you can hold for more than a half hour without your wrists getting tired.

So in other words, I WAS an iPad Mini convert, but the Air has won me over. I'm ordering one ASAP. I'm hoping that I'm correct in my thinking that the online store should be up and running at 2:00 AM CST on Thursday night, and I will be setting my alarm to get up and order one.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am.

And if I don't like it in the first 13 days, I will return it and wait patiently for the Mini Retina.

7. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Ditto.

8. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

is that the release date for the mini?

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nope. Apple 14-day return policy.

10. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I am for the same reasons the OP listed. And I prefer the bigger screen.

11. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

And again. Me. :)

12. richard371 macrumors 68000

It won't happen until well after 14 days front he air release. Apple doesn't want people changing their minds and returning a bunch of airs

13. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

I couldn't have said it better ;)

14. Apple163 macrumors member

When the iPad mini came out I could not wait to get one. Then I started using it and found I missed the larger screen. Glad the mini is going retina. Maybe it will make a difference for some. For me typing and reading on the larger iPad screen is so much better.

15. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

Same plan for me!!

16. mpaquette macrumors regular

Thinking about it. Want to see the Air in person first.

17. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I had the Mini and loved the ease of holding it and the light weight. It was great for reading books from iBooks. However, surfing the web resulted in some sites having very small text and being somewhat hard to read. I also subscribe to a few magazines through Zinio, and those were difficult to read on the Mini screen without constantly enlarging it, which then required scrolling around the screen to see everything. I know that a retina screen will improve small text, but tiny text is still tiny text. Since the iPad Air is now thinner and lighter, I'm going with the Air this time. I'm hoping it will still be light enough to hand-hold fairly easily, but the larger screen will be great for magazine reading, web pages with small text, and videos.

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'm still on the fence. I really like my Mini, but because of the smaller PPI I end up holding it closer to my face.

I'll be going to see both in the store before making up my mind. If the Air feels easy enough to hold then I may go back up in size. But I also have a cover and keyboard for the Mini, so that could keep me with the new Mini.

19. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I'm seriously considering the switch, and will likely get a retina Mini eventually.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yeah I wonder how that will play out. No doubt some people will be buying and returning by day 14, then re-buying to reset the 14 day return window if there's no sign of a mini on the shelves.

21. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I'm sitting out this upgrade cycle, but next year when I most likely will upgrade, it'll be to the new '14 mini. I prefer the smaller form factor not only for its weight (which is a big part), but because it's a lot easier to read on an 8" tablet in bed.

I find on a 10" tablet, I'm constantly moving my eyes around, and after a while it causes some discomfort and eye strain.

22. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Renting for two weeks

Like others I had the intent to update my Mini. Especially because I sold mine 3 weeks ago in anticipation. Since the retina mini won't be out anytime soon I'll give the Air a shot. Especially because I'll be doing a ton of traveling in the next few weeks.

I'm really interested to see the reviews of both, hopefully tomorrow. I think if they changed the name this must be a big deal when you get one in hand. Hopefully I'll fall in love with the Air and forget about returning it.

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Actually you have until the middle of January because Nov is considered a christmas sale...unless they've changed their policy since last year.

24. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

one point to consider is:
    ipad air 264 ppi ipad mini + retina 326 ppi so the mini will be better

25. mwebb macrumors member

Mini w/case vs. Naked Air

I have an old iPad 2 so my fear of loss has mitigated to the point where I'm willing to use it without a case, and that makes a big difference in comfort. (I do add the Apple Smart Cover to the screen when I stow it though, and I did add grip tape to the rear). I think the old Amzer gummy case added from 4-8 ounces to its weight no kidding.

So how much weight difference between a "bare" Air and a gummy protected Mini? There is only 4 ounces difference between a Mini and Air straight of the box. A lot of cases weight 4 ounces! So in some circumstances a Mini could actually outweigh Air!

With a big IF: I'd hate to drop either one, given their premium price relatively and their high price in absolute terms.

It did make we think Apple goes to a lot of hard work to shave ounces, and we just paste it back on with most cases.