Anyone else going to be getting the iPad 2 as their 1st tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AutoUnion39, Feb 28, 2011.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Been getting very tempted to get an iPad 2 whenever it comes out. I never really thought about getting the original iPad since I have a MBP and iPhone 4, but now it would be nice not having to carry the MBP everyday to class. I can tether my iP4 with the iPad on the go.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes. I have been itching for an iPad since it was released, but declined because I wanted to wait until the first generation had passed and the 2nd was out. I am in hopes that it is available on or near launch time this week so I can order one.

3. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Yep...waiting til Wednesday to see if I want a new "2" or just start with a "1" and hopefully save a few $

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yep, I am pretty much sold at this point and just waiting for details on availability.

I'll admit that when the iPad was first announced I was a detractor. I was really hoping that they would release a tablet with OSX and didn't like the idea of "an over-sized iPod touch". Now that I've had a year to digest the concept and go hands-on for many hours at local retailers, I have a better grasp on the concept and where it fits in my digital life (betwixt a smartphone and laptop, not a laptop-replacement).

What finally tipped the scales for me was the large selection of gorgeous apps that can give me quick access to all kinds of information and streamline my intake of content (of which I consume a ton). In my estimation, the selection and availability of apps is the key to the iPad's success. Many competitors have built hardware, but none have the ecosystem that Apple has.

I can't wait for Wednesday. :)

5. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Same. The prices of iPad one are going down as it is even without the reveal let alone the release.

A iPad 32GB ive been eyeing up is already as low as £320 rather than getting it for £510 at apple. I cant wait till wends :p

6. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

This. I was the same way but realizing that it's between a smartphone and laptop, I'm starting to like it more. I'll probably be getting a base iPad 2.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've been wanting an iPad ever since it released, but now that the wife is on board (she's finally decided it would be a useful tool for her teaching) it's far more likely we're going to be picking one up. Looking forward to it.

8. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

Yes sir, I've been a waiter since August.:eek: I was about to purchase the first one but my ears have happened to hear about these sneaky rumors.:D

9. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

Yes, I have also been waiting for the 2nd generation iPad. I will also be buying one for my son (gave him an iPad IOU for X-mas). This weekend my wife says she now wants one. That leaves my daughter who happened to be home from college. I got the "that's not fair if everyone else has one" line. Now it looks like I am buying 4!!!

Luckily I make plenty trading Apple stock options -- happy to invest some back into Apple products.

Hope the iPad2 is available soon and we don't have to wait until April.

10. Tomacorno macrumors regular

iPad2

Yes, that is the plan but we will see what Wednesday reveals, or rather, what is revealed on Wednesday. I was interested since release 1 but version 1 products are not usually high on my list of things to spend money on. Even if the improvements are as incremental as some are complaining about ( :confused: ) it will be a nice device to have around when the kids are doing homework and I just want to browse/read email/take facetime calls, etc. For that matter, seeing how some people are using them at work it sure seems like an ideal portable device to me for task managing. I do hope that there will be an SD card slot added even though that now seems unlikely.

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I understand where folks that already own an iPad are coming from wanting certain improvements before they'll jump to upgrade, but for those of us "waiters" it is much less of a concern. Even if the improvements/changes are only minor, then we'll still be getting a device that is as good/better than the original unit.

Just think, at this time next year we'll be in that camp considering our options and stressing over 3rd Gen updates. ;)

12. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I also can't wait! I was a detractor for day one and one of the reasons that #iTampon trended higher than #iPad on the January announcement date. I promptly went to the store in April, played with one, said "that's cool, but pointless" but the more I realized what I used my iPhone for, I thought "wouldn't this be better on the iPad". I also realized I could use my iPad in lieu of a laptop for business trips since I'd be able to VNC or RDP to any computer I wanted and of course have Google Docs, Docs to Go and/or Dropbox to use.

Can't wait for Wednesday:D:apple::apple:

13. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

any apple product doesn't have to be upgraded annually. I'm still using my 08 MBP and it's still working beautifully and I STILL get at least 5 hours of use out of it on the battery.

I kept my 3GS when the iPhone 4 came out, and I think most people would do well to upgrade no faster than every other year. iPad 2 will be my first tablet and iPad 4 will probably be my second. 1 years worth of upgrades seems incremental to most people who own a device.

14. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

worst case there's the camera connector kit and you can use various jailbreak tools to make more use of the removable USB and SD card slot that it comes with.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yep. I didn't really have quite the need for the original and didn't know exactly what uses might pop up for it. Now that I need something portable again to type on, it's on my list. Much cheaper than a MacBook Air and not as much overkill since I've got an iMac.

16. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

It'll be my first. Wanted one since I got my iPhone in July so I decided to wait until the second generation.

17. msbsound macrumors regular

Wil be first

I am in the same boat as many of the previous posters. I was not all that "wow'd" by the introduction last year, but as I have watched apps develop, there is definitely a nich an Ipad can fill for me.

My two caveats are that I do not currently own a laptop(first extended period of time in a while), and if I did, I am not as sure the Ipad would be at all necessary in my world.

And with a work issued blackberry, I no longer even have an Iphone(I miss it everyday). Couldn't justify the added cost monthly when the blackberry could do everything for free(It does ALMOST everything, just much worse at it).

I am very excited for Wednesday and unless they somehow designed an inferior product to gen.1, I will be picking up a new Iapd as soon as they are available.

18. Rodvette macrumors regular

Wanted to get the first ipad but I generally like to skip on the first model in general when it comes to electronics. I am pretty much sold on an ipad 2 and will be purchasing one just as long as their are no major drawbacks when they announce the details of the device.

19. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

nope, why get the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is coming out in the fall?

20. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

When the first one came out I thought it was dumb lol. But after working for an online tech company, I saw so much utility in it. That was June and no way was I gonna pay for a model that would refresh so here I am waiting.

Can't wait for iPad 2! Bring it on!:D

21. fanboy05 macrumors regular

Yep... at least 1
    Been waiting since June, telling OH that I would be getting the 2nd gen one the day it comes out... I knew if I got one in june I would be getting a second for the OH too.
    As it stands the plan is to get one, but I bet I will have it less than a week before OH wants to "borrow" it full time. :rolleyes:

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It depends on what the final product looks like and its specs.

23. freddy425 macrumors regular

I cannot wait to get this iPad2!

I was ready to get the first one the day it was announced last year, then I decided to hold off and wait for the 2nd gen. Know the release cannot get here soon enough, just have to wait a little longer! :D

24. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Finally going to get a tablet less specs are more disappointing that we're led to believe from the rumour mill.

25. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

This will be my first try at a tablet. Just thought there a few things missing on version 1 and thought it best to wait til the bugs were worked out. Am looking forward to the release as there is a strong number of apps out there now customized for the iPad. Come on Apple don't make us wait weeks. I am opting for the WiFi only model and am hoping that may be out earlier as there are no carrier issues.

Also hope that some of the cool cases/accessories that I have seen out there are tweaked quick to the new iPad specs.