Anyone else had books go missing in iBooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PinkyMacGodess, Oct 15, 2014.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

This is damned odd. A couple of books I paid for are missing from the iBooks app.

These are books I actually PAID for that are gone. I'm about to look through my iTunes receipts, but I'm thinking WTH! I thought that we 'owned' them, and they wouldn't 'disappear'...

It's Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, not that it probably matters, but still... All of his other books are there, but that one. :eek:

I looked through the purchased area of the iTunes store, and it's not that either.

2. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I mean, OK, I'm old. Hell, I just had a birthday, but I'd like to think that I'd not 'that old'...

I remember reading it. I huffed on my stepper reading about the girl 'pooning' cars to get from one 'clave' to another, the mafia run pizza store, the battles between the 'claves'. It was a fascinating book...

I did have to rebuild my iTunes database at least twice in the past 3 years due to weird stuff happening, and with iTunes being just a big database, I understand how there could be 'gaps' if the database becomes corrupted, but how the hell can I remember reading something that according to Apple, I never owned?

Damn...

It's only $7.99, but if I end up remembering the plot points as I re-read it, it's going to make me become that much more pessimistic of the iTunes database structure. I mean, I've had music disappear before, but it's always been stuff I own on CD's.

Heck, I once had to rebuild my iTunes database just so iTunes would even LOAD!:eek: And I swear on my Mother's grave I have NEVER EVER tried to hack the damn iTunes database.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Audiobooks have different rules from music. You are responsible for your backups. You "own" them - but as with paper books that you own, you can lose them.

4. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

This wasn't an audiobook, it was an e-book.