Anyone Else Happy To Stick With Their 3G iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrkactjob, Jun 8, 2010.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I'm tempted not to upgrade, I have recently JB the phone so have all my cool text tones now, the camera is crap but with 16gb the memory is fine. My screen resolution is fine.

I'm thinking iPad!

2. Slava macrumors member

Slava

If it works for you, then yes. But once you get iPad, you will notice how painfully slow 3g is comparison :)

3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I have the 3G and an iPad. I'd much rather have the new iPhone over the iPad. iPad is just not there yet and the size makes it limited to where you can bring it. I find the 3G to be painfully slow. The 25th can't come soon enough!

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

This is going to be a small thread, I see it now.

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

My roommate is considering just sticking with the 3G. He wanted more of a battery life (not sure what else, but that's the one thing he would tell me). I mean sure it has more talk time but me and my roommate use the phone far more for data and internet than talking.

Though I have noticed on my phone it seems talking sucks out battery life quicker than playing on the internet.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

No.

7. msw123307 macrumors 6502

This. My 3G is painfully slow. I don't want to re-up with ATT, but am not going to buy it outright.

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

My dad will probably stick with his 3G, but that's mainly because he doesn't like spending money on stuff he doesn't think is worth it. And as far as his use goes, I think he'll be fine with his 3G until it breaks or dies.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I currently have a JB 3G iPhone and it's still quite fast. However, the hardware upgrades in the new iPhone 4 are things I've wanted so I'm going to upgrade and give my phone to my gf who uses T-Mobile. I could easily stick with my 3G but the latest update has me excited and after I can jailbreak this one, I should be good for 2 years. Unless apple decides to roll out with a 4" screen next year..

10. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I for one can't wait to upgrade. I'm tired of my 3G slowing down and lagging on a lot of the bigger games. I can't wait to have REAL movie recording and 32 gigs of memory. I'll finally be able to throw my whole library on my phone and not worry about things slowing down. I can't wait to get the iPhone 4, it's everything I wanted and more.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No.

The 3GS is still fine, but the 3G is effectively obsolete as of now. It's MUCH slower than the 3GS so I can only imagine how much slower than the 4th-phone it'll be.

Add to that all the other improvements (camera, screen, etc.) and it seems like an easy choice to me. (The screen alone is reason enough. Even though it's fast enough, my wife is upgrading from her 3GS JUST because of the screen!)

iPad? There's no way I'll be buying a 1st gen. It'll clearly be getting a better screen, more RAM, and probably a front-camera next year. I'm betting the 1st-to-2nd gen jump of the iPad will be just as great as the 1st-to-2nd gen jump that happened to the iPhone in 2008.

Apple loves to do big jumps from 1-to-2 but then a smaller jump from 2-to-3. It worked well for me on the iPhone to buy a 2nd gen, I'll be doing the same with the iPad.

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I am tempted to hold out until there is a 4G network too.

13. RMXO macrumors 6502a

My 3G is near end of it's life or I would stick with my 3G as long as possible before upgrading.

14. Sean006 macrumors 6502

ill be jumping for sure...my 3g battery is horrible...

but i will stick with 16gb iphone 4 only because i also have a 3g 32gb ipad.

15. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I'm just gun shy because I (just my opinion) have a feeling that other carriers are coming at the end of the year and I would be upset if I locked in with AT&T for another two years when I could go back to Verizon with the phone I love. My plan is to hold onto my 3G until year end to see what the rumors are at that point.

16. FatherAwesome macrumors newbie

nope...im ready for an upgrade...i have waited 2 years for this...lol

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

18. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Also this.

3G is slow.

JB 3G is painfully slow.

Sure it can do 'more' than the 4 with JB'ing, but to be honest, and I never thought I'd say this, I'll be happy giving up Lockscreen for all of the hardware upgrades over the 3G. I'll probably still have time for a coffee after checking emails, today's calendar and twitter compared to how long it takes to do half of it at the moment!

TT

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Reasonable.

I should point out, yes, there are reasons for sticking wtih a 3G. But all the reasons I can think of are external forces, like this, and NOT anything to do with the 3G itself being compelling.

20. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

My first iPhone was the 3G. I had it for a year and then upgraded to the 3GS. Once I found out a new iPhone was coming out I sold my 3GS and I was so used to the speed the 3G is painfully slow. I'll gladly retire the 3G for good once the iPhone 4 comes out.

Edit: Plus it's old hardware. I don't want old hardware.

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Hehe, and when I said no I meant no to my 32GB 3GS :) I don't get the mentality of people who are waiting for "this that and the other". Guess what? So am I. I have had every iPhone on day 1 and plan to do so until there is something out there that is reliably better. I guess for me, the iPhone is a business necessity so the $299/year is peanuts... I mean, the phone hardware (not service) costs me $.82/day. I bet most here spend 3-5x that a day on coffee.

/rant

22. davyreins macrumors 6502

I told myself that I would get another year out my 3G, but after seeing the iPhone 4 I'm pretty tempted to upgrade. Having a snappier phone with the new features and design would be a great upgrade. We'll see...I'm not fully decided yet.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I prefer to use my original iPhone and 3GS over the 3G and I have all three models.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think we will see a Verizon iPhone by the end of year. I think about waiting too. But, I'm unsure if this is a wise idea. Yes, the Verizon iphone will be an iphone, but it will also be a 1st generation device.

No one predicted the AT&T iphone would have so many growing pains, but it did. The same might happen to the Verizon iPhone. Too many iphone users on Verizon may slow down their network too. And, all the people leaving AT&T may result in better performance of the AT&T network. Who knows.

But, it may be a bit naive to say that all iPhone problems will cease once it goes to Verizon.

25. rickolis macrumors member

rickolis

Isn't the iPhone 3G processor THE SAME as the processor that's in the original iPhone released in 2007? Why would anyone be content with a phone that slow?!