Anyone else happy with their current MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Necrotique, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Necrotique macrumors member

After seeing the new retina model...
    No other companies save for OWC make flash storage for the retina models, or replacement batteries. Also, no possibility of RAID.
    I think I'm pretty happy with my 2011 MBP with 512GB SSD for storage and 120GB SSD for boot, rather than pay ~$4200AU for a comparable model with "7 hours" battery life, which will equate to about 3 real hours taking into account the bugs inherent with a new display type like retina.
    Will there be much notable difference for the average person using a retina model on the lounge/ in bed? I usually keep it ~50cm from my face, and have the hi-res matte screen.

Also, the CPU upgrade is fairly negligible.
    I know this will get voted down a lot, but it seems we're now paying more for non-replaceable (at least in a cost-effective manner) parts which we already self-installed into our MBPs. Except for the retina of course.

So I guess I'm asking:
    Do you think it's better value to snatch up some hi-res 2011 models and upgrade with 3rd party storage and RAM, or to get the current NEW model?
    Do you think retina display will make a difference for the average user?

Cheers :)

2. naxir macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 15" 2.2GHz and I'm perfectly happy with it still. The only thing that I'd really like to have is the quieter fan. Mine is pretty noisy when I'm playing Diablo 3.

3. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Same here, with 2.2GHz as well. Sometimes lightly lubing the fans help, but I usually find the integrated graphics adequate for most tasks, which keeps the fan noise down a fair bit.
    I'll get Diablo 3 once I get ADSL2+ here in my new house :p

I'm just happy with my replaceable RAM and standard parts. I think it's a bad move on behalf of Apple to sacrifice user-replaceability in exchange for form factor.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'd love one of the new ones, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy with mine. It's a good thing,too, because I can't afford a new computer!!

5. naxir macrumors newbie

I totally agree. I haven't upgraded ram or installed an SSD, but I will at some point and I like having that option.

6. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

I just love the freedom to self-upgrade with reasonably-priced components. Really makes the "mac" experience from me. Also, being able to swap out 8GB of RAM from my MBP when upgrading to 16GB and just whacking it into the Mac Mini. Swapping and cloning SSDs and HDDs is also a great experience.

Anyhow, a tad off-topic, but for those of us without credit cards, how do we get OS X Mountain Lion?

----------

Also, I'd love me some Siri on my MBP.
    They did show "dictation" but the LiveBlog (can't stream on USB broadband with terrible reception) didn't go into detail about it.

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm always happy with my 17" 2010 but it's always great to see how Apple progresses (which I guess varys by person) and changes things. Although the starting model cost about $100 less than my entry level Pro, I still can't justify moving down to 256GB of storage. I've upgraded my RAM to 8GB cause its all I need for now, but I'm waiting for the future with 512GB SSD prices drop. My HDD hasn't failed me (yet) so I'm in no rush.

Still, would be nice to see one of those retinas.

8. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

It would be, but I can't justify paying for soldered RAM...
    I like my "thick" MBP which still ways a hell of a sight less than a comparable Windows machine.

Still, 27" iMac retina with blu-ray and 4GB of sLi-GPUs would be amazing.... Imagine blu-ray on one of those "drools"

9. Marat macrumors newbie

Do you not have a debit card that you can use like a credit card? Didn't know anyone didn't. If not, Wal-Mart and other stores sell Visa gift cards you can use like a regular credit card.

10. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll get a pay-as-you go VISA as my debit card doesn't work. Just a drag as I live in regional Australia and aren't near too many major shops.
    Oh well, c'est la vie :)

11. Martialis macrumors member

I'm not "happy", really. My early 2008 MBP is pretty worn by now and struggles to run what I need sometimes, but what was announced doesn't really scream "run out and buy immediately" to me. So I guess I'll keep what I have for now.

12. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'm ne of the, supposedly, 'few' that bought the 17" MBP. Actually, I'm on my third 17" Apple laptop.

Yes, the retina display looks appealing, but as a 'desktop replacement' my existing computer has its advantages. I was due to change it this year (3 years old), but I'm sorely tempted to add an SSD, another 4gigs RAM and keep it for another couple of years....

13. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

While I'm tempted to upgrade, I think that I'll be better off waiting another year.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I have the same one. I think this is a transitionary stage for MBPs, and next year will see full upgrades to the next-gen. Think I can probably wait till then, seeing as I don't really have £3k to plonk on a new one.

15. quicksilver77 macrumors 6502

quicksilver77

I have a 2010 Gen 15" MBP and have always regretted not getting the 1680x1050 panel upgrade. I miss the screen real estate.

16. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

To be honest, I would have been depressed if they released a redesigned 13" MBP considering I bought mine in 2011. As superficial as it seems, I'm happy things went the way they did. Though, I do wish they would have released a retina 13" similar to the 15".

17. CentralFC macrumors member

Do you guys think it's reasonable to want to upgrade if I just bought a 13" MBP in September/October? Is there any reason to?

18. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Unless you like the retina display, no real reason to upgrade. Hardware upgrades are minimal.

19. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I am still very happy with my MBP but the new one looks nice too :)

20. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

The new cooling system seems pretty awesome, but otherwise I'm completely satisfied with my 2010 model.

21. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I'm ok with my late 2011 15" MBP. Will upgrade my 256gb SSD to 512gb SSD when prices drop a bit more. The new retina model looks nice but I can't justify a change for me at this point.

Still waiting on the new iPhone though. Will probably buy the new iPad to replace my iPad 1. I swear, it seems to perform worse day by day and looks like Apple will gradually cease to support it with any new updates.

22. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I'm still happy with my early 2009 top of the line 17" MBP. I will upgrade next year to a new 27" iMac.

23. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Perfectly happy with my 2011 13" MBP with 16GB RAM !! :D

My upgrade - Samsung 830 512GB SSD as soon as the price drops a bit more!

24. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

My early 2008 MBP does everything I need it to.

Sure, the new one is a faster, lighter and would give that new warm and fuzzy feeling but would it be any more productive than the one I'm using now?

Nope.

I'll keep my $2K.

25. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Yeah I have the same laptop, I'm really happy as I still have the high res AG, the 1gb of VRAM, two HDD/SSD laptop slots that are industry standard, ability to upgrade RAM to 32GB etc. To be honest I think my MBP could last longer than the retina one that just came out due to the upgradability