Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty1202

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
It was definitely awkward at first. But after using it. You realize it’s the same height as if the phone wasn’t all screen... and you just operate like normal
Yes and i realized they placed it perfectly. I don’t like the rando grey bar.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
there is so much wasted space at the bottom. Am I the only one who thinks this is weird ?

Yeah, I think it looks and functions terribly. It very much seems like a placeholder and not a final decision. All that wasted space, they tout the "larger" screen but then put in a non plus sized keyboard. It's another in a long list of difficulties transitioning from a plus.

Reactions: PapaBless

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah, I think it looks and functions terribly. It very much seems like a placeholder and not a final decision. All that wasted space, they tout the "larger" screen but then put in a non plus sized keyboard. It's another in a long list of difficulties transitioning from a plus.

It isn’t because you’re coming from a Plus, it’s because you’re coming from a fine-tuned design to a beta prototype. Changes and “upgrades” will be tuned on the next release, giving you the phone Apple always wanted to make in the first place. Not sure I get all of the love for this half-baked device...even the name doesn’t make sense.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It isn’t because you’re coming from a Plus, it’s because you’re coming from a fine-tuned design to a beta prototype. Changes and “upgrades” will be tuned on the next release, giving you the phone Apple always wanted to make in the first place. Not sure I get all of the love for this half-baked device...even the name doesn’t make sense.

Yep I agree, that's why I mentioned that the huge gap under the keyboard looks like a placeholder until they design something that makes more sense. But I definitely think coming from the 7 plus with a larger keyboard contributes to the difficulty, at least in my case.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Yep I agree, that's why I mentioned that the huge gap under the keyboard looks like a placeholder until they design something that makes more sense. But I definitely think coming from the 7 plus with a larger keyboard contributes to the difficulty, at least in my case.

Oh that makes sense. I’m using a SE currently and even when I had the 6 and 6S’s around, that keyboard seemed “big” to me switching between and the SE. Can’t really imagine going from a Plus down to a smaller size again, I did it briefly and it’s a bit of a shock. But you don’t miss it! At least I don’t...think the Plus is just way too large. Not a fan of the Note sized phones anymore, too hard on my hands and fingers with how often I use it

Reactions: spinedoc77

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Yes, let's put another 25 icons in the grey area, each with its own micro gesture and 3D Touch state that make it more like 50 icons. Then add some sliders and a mini track pad and a cursor!

We'll get this phone looking like a gamer's desk in no time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: testcard

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
It’s a software..so an update can fix it.
Yup, just like gesture controls is all software.

SwiftKey on Android has an ability where you can raise the keyboard higher. I believe Apple will just do it that way. Just pretend the bottom is where the physical home button would be. iOS also doesn't have onscreen keys, that's why the gap is there.

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yup, just like gesture controls is all software.

SwiftKey on Android has an ability where you can raise the keyboard higher. I believe Apple will just do it that way. Just pretend the bottom is where the physical home button would be. iOS also doesn't have onscreen keys, that's why the gap is there.
Luckily it doesn't require hardware to fix/adjust the keyboard issue. :)

eckono

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2013
I use GBoard, but I hate how some applications default to the apple keyboard. In YouTube my keyboard always crashes.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
When you open the SwiftKey app you can actually experience what it would feel like typing on a keyboard that sits lower and more near to the bottom of the phone:

img_2735-png.732923

And I can tell you, this is not nice to type on. I remember reading somewhere that Apple put the keyboard that high so it would be around the same position as on all other iPhones which have the bezel and home button below it. It looks stupid in screenshots, but in real life you don't want it any lower than it is. Just pressing the space bar in the above example is painful.

Obviously they could add some other functionality there to fill up the empty gap (as it looks pretty ugly), but the position on screen is right. This is not an issue and Apple will not change this, they have tested this and placed it there on purpose.

Spacemaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
I really love the X, but I'm waiting for iOS 12. I have to say iOS 11 is not well made for X's resolution.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
When you open the SwiftKey app you can actually experience what it would feel like typing on a keyboard that sits lower and more near to the bottom of the phone:

img_2735-png.732923

And I can tell you, this is not nice to type on. I remember reading somewhere that Apple put the keyboard that high so it would be around the same position as on all other iPhones which have the bezel and home button below it. It looks stupid in screenshots, but in real life you don't want it any lower than it is. Just pressing the space bar in the above example is painful.

Obviously they could add some other functionality there to fill up the empty gap (as it looks pretty ugly), but the position on screen is right. This is not an issue and Apple will not change this, they have tested this and placed it there on purpose.

Looks so much better with that SwiftKey keyboard. I don't mind the height itself in the Apple keyboard and it might be alright to type with, but it just looks displeasing to me personally.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I dont like the way it looks. I feel like apple should of made the lower part black or transparent like other ios screens so its just blank nothing bright space.
Does swiftkey actually have it that low like that picture posted? Going to give that a shot

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
I think it's great. I can finally type one handed again. Haven't been able to do that for several iPhones....well since plus sizes started.

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany

Is there any possibility to add the grey space bar when using SwiftKey?

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
Haven’t used it yet but the placement makes a lot of sense to me.

Consider the phones before it had “wasted space” on the bottom with the home button.

One thing I’m really liking is the language keyboard is now out of the way. I frequently go between two languages but cycling through them whenever I use emoji is... a chore.

How does it look now?

Edit:
Never mind, saw the screenshots after I posted.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.