Anyone else hating this supposedly new iphone 5 design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TigerBabe, Jul 29, 2011.

1. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

Ok, I know it's not out yet but these case and phone mockups for iphone 5 are making me nervous. I really hope they don't ruin the iphone by making it longer and wider.I think I am gonna stick with my iphone 4 with the IOS 5 if this is the case. Anyone else feel this way?

2. aohus macrumors 68000

babe, the iP5 full reveal hasn't even been shown yet.

its thinner, lighter, and wider body. to me that is awesome, and this, coming from an avid Android user (Droid X)

3. TigerBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I'm aware it hasn't come out yet but it's getting closer. It would make sense for you to like it coming from Android. I just don't need my phone looking like a walkie-talkie. LOL

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Slightly larger for a larger screen? I'm all for it. LED notification light? Cherry on top.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Canst thou heareth me now?

oldphone.png

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

First of all, there's no actual proof that there will be any design changes at all. Don't get worked up over nothing.

That said, if there are changes, Apple is generally good at industrial design. They would try to do it in such a way as to not alienate it's current userbase. Give the hypothetical new design a chance in person and see if you like it.

Lastly, thin and flat is pretty much the opposite of a walkie-talkie :p

7. naths macrumors 6502

if its anywhere as good as the samsung sgs2 then i might buy it...along with all the apple restrictions..purely as a second phone....:cool:

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

9. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Personally, any wider scares me, there has been speculation on the blog sides about it being up to a half-inch wider, I think that's over kill for a phone, and bordering on mini tablet territories. The teardrop taper, thyas also an unknown variable at the moment. I'll just land on saying my iPhone 4 can last MDMA few more Months if needs be. I would like a faster CPU or ram in it though; and a better battery; keep curent frame-double or better battery ;)

10. tootall macrumors regular

Personnally, I would rather keep the same screen size and have a smaller phone. I find my iPhone 4 a bit cumbersome in my pant's pocket...

11. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Just trust Apple.

They will make it good, dont you worry.

I was the same when i first saw the iPhone 4 design.....but i quickly began to love it.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I can assure you with 100% certainty that there will be no teardrop taper.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Don't worry babe, you'll hate it now but once it comes out you'll see and hold it in real life and before you know it you'll be swiping your card at the counter and walking out the store with a shiny new Apple bag.

14. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

I sure hope you are right!

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's supposed to be a half inch taller and a half inch wider... That's quite big! :eek:

I'm guessing there will be a new bigger and better iPhone 5, and the iPhone 4 will stay in place with minor cosmetic differences (plastic back) at a lower price.

16. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

I love the desgin on the front page :D can't wait to see if any concepts are true

17. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The outside case dimensions are a half inch wider and taller than a naked iPhone 4. After subtracting case thickness, this makes it taller but very slightly wider than the original iPhone.

18. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I hate the new iPhone design (based on the cases). But then, It would've had to really blow me away in order to beat out the sexy white SGS2. That is, if I hadn't just bought a triumph because I can't afford to be robbed by contract carriers.

19. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Actually, no, you can't. If...if...Apple decided to NOT go with the teardrop design, you'll have tripped into being right. You won't have been right because you actually KNEW something or had inside information. :rolleyes:

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Obviously I don't have inside information, but anyone who has use an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch would know that they all have a balanced design so that they can be held comfortably in landscape and portrait. I'd bet all my dollars that this is something they repeat.

21. DDar, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I have no problem with wider, but I'm sort of worried about them making it thinner and the back and edges curverd.

I always hated the curved back and edges on the old iPhones, it's not good for grip.

The iPhone 4 had a nice, good, solid feel and hold to it. I really hope this new model doesn't change that.

22. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i just got an iPhone 4(Free Though) and i like the shape it feels more professional then my 3G & 3GS

going back to that plastic feel wouldn't be a good move

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the iPhone 3G/3GS was about the same width as this is purported to be, and the difference in height is about the same...you won't notice it without them side by side, and if you could, would you care? You didn't find the 3GS too wide, did you?

also, "terrible design" is what everyone on this forum was saying after the iPhone 4 leak, and that's now considered by many to be the best smartphone design (aesthetically) there is

24. bandofbrothers, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im more interested in the ios5 for now.

If the iphone 5 gives me a whole lot more than the ip4 then i'll buy it !

Simples.

25. macdemauro, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

macdemauro macrumors newbie

Tired of the changes...

iPhone 1 was a great design despite it's internal short comings.

I HATED the shape and the plastic backing of the 3G/3GS. This was a step backwards IMO.

The iPhone 4 is a stunning design. Apple manages to upgrade most of it's products without changing the external designs for several cycles. I don't see why the have to reinvent the wheel every time a new iPhone hits the streets.