iPhone Anyone else have B2 just eating storage?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GTPprix, Jun 22, 2014.

1. GTPprix macrumors member

I can literally WATCH this thing eat like a few MB every couple of seconds even after a fresh reboot. I've got like 4 gigs now tied up in crap that I'm assuming is event logs but I have no way to clear them on the device. Any insight?

2. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

I'm having the same on a iPad Mini retina. Completely eating up all the available gigs. Not sure what's going on.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You are using beta software. **** like this happens all the time. That's why they give developers methods to report things to them to help them sort out the issue.

4. GTPprix thread starter macrumors member

I know it happens all the time, I've already put a couple of bug reports in. I think I found the process thats doing it was just curious if anyone else was having the same issue. My Retina-Mini doesn't execute the same process in a loop which is pretty close in build to my 5S. just strange.

5. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Ignore him. Same with me. Thought it was tumblr, and it was to some extent. It seems that apps no longer clean themselves or Apple deactivated this for the beta. Usually it would clear the cache after 1 gig on the tumblr app.

6. geko29 macrumors 6502

I had to wipe both of my devices (64GB non-retina Mini and 128GB Air) on Thursday due to this issue. Over the weekend, my Mini ate its entire battery while not being used, and once again today has 50GB of "other", so is getting wiped again. The Air is ok for now, but I suspect the problem will recur there as well.

For me at least, this behavior is definitely new with b2.

7. z06gal macrumors 6502

Same experience here on an iPad Air. Maybe B3 will be better :eek:

8. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Documents and data does not seem to clear. Messages still holds on to space (after deletion/syncing), pulse reader keeps the cache even when the app is closed. I have about 4gigs between those two held hostage. Beta woes.

9. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I thought this.

Go in to your Photos folder and delete your Recently Deleted. - That might help?

10. rodknocker macrumors 6502

11. nomik2 macrumors regular

12. geko29 macrumors 6502

It cleaned up both of my devices--My Air was at 27GB of "other", while the Mini was at 20GB prior to the update. They're now down to 6GB and 1.5GB, respectively.

The only question now is whether they'll start ballooning again, and only time will tell that.

13. rssfed23 macrumors member

I had this as well - only noticed when trying to upgrade to b3 but couldn't due to space!

I noticed the "usage" page in settings was no way near accurate - the numbers left 20gig of space which was actually being used by "other".

Oddly enough, even after deleting all photos and the recently deleted ones, when loading up Image Capture on OSX I could still see ~5000 photos. The delete button in image capture was grayed out and thus these could never be deleted. These wern't photo stream photos or anything just my normal camera roll photos that wouldnt delete!

Anyways; the only way I could delete these was to do a hard reset of the device and then restore to B3. I haven't restored from backup (doing a fresh install of both B3 and OSX DP3 given the large amount of changes and massive amount of bugs I've had in B2 that I didn't have in B1 I've found in the past this usually helps out a bit!).

Oh; I also found about 300meg of crash logs and app developer logs scattered around the device that also couldn't be deleted; but understand these are likely automatically uploaded anyways so have no qualms about these being here; although 300meg provides enough logs to last a lifetime ;)