Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I never did get the order that I had posted about, originally, in this thread. Turns out, after several threatening emails that they ended up responding and telling me that they were out of stock on the items I had ordered. Instead of contacting me to tell me that when I placed the order, they had just never shipped it.

I have since tried to order once more from them, and I found their CS to be unresponsive, and the shipping time verrrrrryyyy slow. They send you a million emails about the status of your order (processed --> fulfilled --> awaiting shipping --> pre-shipment status --> about to be shipped --> gonna be shipped in 10 seconds ---> 9 --> 8 ---> 7...) Ok, slight exaggeration, but it was ridiculous and it took over a week to get the item I ordered.

All in all, I think that even though their prices are low, it's just not worth the 1-2$ you're gonna save by buying from them.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
So I finally hear back from MyGearStore.com and they want me to pay to ship back my Torrent case for a replacement. They sent me a blemished case and now I am expected to pay to send it back.....really? For sure now I won't be buying from MyGearStore.com again!

gothiquegirrl

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Planet Earth
I ordered a Speck pack from them. They were supposed to give me free shipping... but when i called Customer service ( i'll get to that in a sec) i was told that only USPS shipping was free and that the speck pack HAD to be shipped via FedEx due to it's size and weight? Now it was clearly posted on their site under the pack "free shipping" so i dunno what the deal was with that.

When i called customer service it kept telling me that they were busy and to leave a message. I just kept calling over and over till someone picked up the phone....

Yeah people on Youtube talk about them a lot and say good things. So maybe i was a little more patient than i would have been otherwise. i mean, everyone has a bad day.... But if i had known that so many people were having issues i'd have been more of an @$$.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I hope some of the reviewers see these posts, certainly you can't say this is an isolated issue. You know they would never treat a reviewer like that, just us average joes and jills.

I cant speak from experience but i was very close to placing an order last week.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Like i said never buy from them. They are scammers that have a fake good image because if a very popular youtube reviewer who gets sent thousands of dollars worth of free stuff and he pushes all of you to buy from them.
I also know they have a store on Amazon.com, still do not order from them. Amazon is not responsible.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Since MyGearStore.com wants me pay to return a defective Switcheasy Torrent case I purchased from them, I contacted Switcheasy. And as the champs they are, Switcheasy is going to replace my case and pay the shipping for free! Won't cost me a dime to get my issue resolved. Thank you Switcheasy!

So my suggestion to anyone thinking about buying from MyGearStore.....DON'T! I'm not sure how they get such great online video reviews. Oh wait, probably because they give the reviewers free stuff to sway their status. Well they won't get my money ever again, that is for sure.

UPDATE: Spoke with MyGearStore online chat support and they finally agreed to pay for the return shipping but said I would still have to return the case first before getting a replacement. I suggested they charge me for a new case and when it arrives I will send the defective one back with their free shipping label. Once they receive it then they can refund me my money. That way I don't have to go without a case on my iPhone. But then they tell me they are out of stock of the Red Torrent case. So ask for black and am told they are out of stock of all the colors. I'm like.....really? What a big waste of time chatting with them. I will stick with dealing directly with Switcheasy.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I don't deal with online websites. It's always a hassle, and people usually get screwed over. It's easier just to go to the store and spend an extra $10 on the case, instead of waiting a few weeks to get it online... Or not get it.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Even a store front business can screw you over. This has happened to me before. I discovered that the Better Business Bureau has no authority and small claims court was a lot of effort and time. Even a win in court doesn't mean the business will pay you. That is another battle.

But I don't have an issue with online retailers in general. Most save me a ton of money, by not having to pay state tax or shipping. And lets not forget the time and gas savings you get by having things sent directly to your door. Many like Amazon.com are really great online retailers.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Wow I never expected so many people to have this many problems with MyGearStore. I've bought from them maybe 6 or 7 times since I got my 3GS in September and have never had any issues. Always takes 2 or 3 days max from California to New York. I even changed my mind on an order 2 weeks ago and used their live chat to cancel it with no issues.

myGearStoreCS

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
I ordered a case from them on Dec 12. They charged my CC, but never shipped my order. They don't return phone calls or emails. Anyone else having problems with them?

I know they can't be a total scam, since all the youtube reviewers highly recommend them, but their customer service is just non-existent!

myGearStore apologies that your order was not received as expected. Our goal is to provide 100% customer satisfaction and in ensuring that guarantee, we have taken the initiative to contact you directly in hopes of resolving this issue immediately. Please email us at information@mygearstore.com or phone us directly at 800-290-2492 so that we may work with you to resolve any issues that you may have.

myGearStoreCS

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
From myGearStore Customer Service

Our goal is to provide 100% customer satisfaction and in ensuring that guarantee, we have taken the initiative to contact ever directly in hopes of resolving any issues that any of you may have had immediately.

myGearStore understands your frustrations and we sincerely apologize for any unpleasant experiences that anyone may have had with us. myGearStore welcomes all feedback, be it positive or negative. All feedback is reviewed so that we may continue to improve and better service our customers.

In an effort to regain your trust and for any inconveniences, we ask that you contact us directly at information@mygearstore.com or by calling 800-290-2492, so that we may provide you with a 25% goodwill discount off of your next order.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
No matter how many times you copy+paste something in this thread, I'm afraid you've lost quite a lot of business from potential buyers due to this thread. With the issues I've had with you, I'm looking forward to going out of my way to purchase things from anyone else as opposed to from you again, regardless of any "discount". Some shady dude selling stolen phones in an alley is more reliable than your company, sorry to say

Kwats

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Never had a problem with MGS bought about 10 different items from them in different orders. Received them all within 4 days. You all just have bad luck.:p

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
In an effort to regain your trust and for any inconveniences, we ask that you contact us directly at information@mygearstore.com or by calling 800-290-2492, so that we may provide you with a 25% goodwill discount off of your next order.
Yea nice try, once I am wronged by a company they never get my business again. I don't care how much the YouTube reviewer Itsmemorphious, praises your business by giving you tons of publicity, (could be all the free stuff you send him), I learned first hand how bad your service really is.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Yea nice try, once I am wronged by a company they never get my business again. I don't care how much the YouTube reviewer Itsmemorphious, praises your business by giving you tons of publicity, (could be all the free stuff you send him), I learned first hand how bad your service really is.

Exactly..

Mactogon

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Poor

Just left this seller feedback on Amazon. Out of curiosity, did a Google search afterwards and found this thread! Wish I'd seen this BEFORE my purchase! Would have saved myself 2 months and a few angry emails! Hopefully others will see this before they purchase anything from mygearstore

"Absolutely disgusting. 2 months after my purchase date, I received my refund because my item had been 'lost'. Each time I had tried to find out info previously, I was just sent an automated reply. I am a calm customer normally, but these guys really tested my patience. Now I have to go find the item somewhere else. Don't buy from them - don't risk wasting 2 months of your life like I did!!!!!"

FeRD NYC

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Hmmm, interesting. I just placed an order with them (thru Amazon) about 16 hours ago, and just received the "your order's shipped!" email. So, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Of course, I only ordered a bottle(s) of Ice Creme, which is probably not a high-demand item.

The problems seem to crop up when they're having supply problems. Which happen to even the biggest companies, yes, and are frequently beyond their control. It's how those situations are handled that makes all the difference. In fact, several of the complaints in this thread seem like they boil down to myGearStore not realizing one basic rule for cultivating a satisfied (and loyal!) customer base:

You don't promise goods to the customer -- and CERTAINLY don't charge their credit card!! -- before you check your inventory!

Whether that's the endlessly out-of-stock item that the OP ordered, or Resist's replacement Switcheasy case, it sounds like there wouldn't have been a problem if the official word from the beginning was, "Darn! We don't have any of those right now. Can't promise when we'll get more. Sorry we couldn't be of assistance." (Followed, in Resist's case, by "Feel free to return the defective item, at our expense, for a full refund." That's what a 100% satisfaction GUARANTEE implies, if it's anything more than just meaningless ********.)

Nate025

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Since we're bumping old threads guess I'll add my .02. Ordered an i4 Otterbox Defender on the 3rd (pre-sale) with a discount coupon for $36. Arrived on the 16th, free overnite on top of the discount. Ordered via the mygearstore website through google checkout.

No problems with the case, packaging could have been improved so the box didn't get crumpled. Besides that, no problem.

I learned of them through my mother, who placed an order of around 30 of the Defender series cases for the 2g/3g iPod Touch for a local organization. No issues there either.

They could be faster on their invoicing: Ironically, I received the email for my initial invoice (placing the order) on the i4 just after I had installed the case.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I've placed 2 orders with them and it always went smoothly. I always place my order in their eBay store though not sure if that makes a difference.

appview

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm to have had a bit of a rough time with myGearStore. I have ordered 3 things and each one has arrived 5 days late! I live in the UK so obviously airmail is required, the shipping was $25! When I ship stuff to the US it costs me £3.50/$5. So they were making $20 out of me just for the Bloody Shipping. The shipping was more expensive than the item.

I must just say I also have my online store and I am not being biased. I'm just reporting on an experience I had with them.

shaner2000

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Just placed an order 2 days and got an unsolicited notice that the item requested is on back-order. Seems fairly reasonable thus far.

==

Thank you for shopping with myGearStore, your business is important to us. Unfortunately while processing eBay order *****, we noticed that one or more of the items you ordered are currently out of stock and now on back-order. The following is now on back-order:

Item: NUC04-1298
Description: Power Support Protective Film 3 Pack iPhone 4 Combo
Estimated Ship Date: 9/1/2010

FeRD NYC

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Your report is particularly good to hear, shaner2000, given the communication problems people have reported with mygearstore in the past. It was an interest in hearing recent accounts like these that led to my thread necromancy. Since mygearstore was visibly active on this thread in the past, you'd certainly hope that someone there took the complaints to heart, and realized there were problems on their end that had to be corrected. The email you received appears to be a sign of at least some improvement in keeping their customers updated when orders are delayed. Hope you'll keep us posted on the outcome! (BTW: Can you tell us if they already charged you for the backordered merchandise?)

As to my own experience, I'm very pleased. Everything went fine, and communication was near-instantaneous from Amazon's systems. In fact, my order was delivered 2 days after I ordered it, on Wednesday the 25th. Not too shocking since it turns out the package was sent from Bethpage, Long Island -- whch is less than an hour's drive from here. But it's still impressive considering I took the free shipping option on my $22 order, and the (very conservative) estimated arrival date was Tuesday Sept. 1. So, in a sense the package arrived a full week early. :)

As Nate025 mentioned, the packaging was a bit spare: just a comically enormous, thick-padded soft mailer. In my case it didn't matter, Ice Creme comes packaged is a hard plastic "tube".[*] Still, the postal service did their level best to mangle it during its short voyage. The local carrier who delivered it deserves a special commendation recognizing his/her achievements in experimental physics, having managed to ram the package into a standard apartment-building mailbox.

Regarding appview's comments:
appview, you said your items arrived 5 days late each time -- did you have tracking information so you could see where the delays occurred, or is that not available for international airmale? (I was surprised I received tracking info for my order's El Cheapo brand free-shipping.) Can't really blame mygearstore for the carrier taking a side-trip to Package Limbo after the order's left their hands, IMHO. (Which I'm sure is why so many online retailers no longer offer regular mail as an option, and use only managed delivery services.)

FWIW, if they use Priority Mail (for its tracking and confirmation) instead of First Class Mail, the cheapest rate the USPS shows me to the UK is $13.45 for a flat-rate envelope. And a rate quote run thru my login on UPS.com produced a rate of $48.48 for the same theoretical 4-oz shipment! Frankly, I'm shocked how much it costs to ship outside the US. So, if you can ship *to* us for only $5, be thrilled you're getting such a great rate!

I know that overseas shipping is often scrutinized (== delayed) pretty heavily, and can be a nightmare -- I've been looking at a certain product that only seems to be available direct from its UK manufacturer, and I'm dreading the thought of ordering it that way. I agree $25 sounds insane, especially on a product that doesn't even cost that much... for heaven's sake, why did you keep ordering from mygearstore when the cost is so high after delivery!??!​

...Anyway, as I said my one experience was very good. I know I probably sound like a shill, so I'll just say that I have no connection with mygearstore except as a satisfied one-time customer, I don't stand to gain anything directly or indirectly from posting this, and I'll probably never even order from them again simply because I order online perhaps 3-5 times a year total. (No credit card -- anything ordered by mail requires that I enlist a friend's services as middleman.) But as things currently stand, if I'm ever shopping for more portable "stuff", or if I know anyone who is, mygearstore will be at the top of my list of potential sources.

If I'd had a bad experience in any way, I certainly would have reported it just as honestly, and I hope my previous comments in this thread show that I have standards for how a company should operate if they want my business. I just feel the 'net is overpopulated with people rushing to their computers to complain loudly about... well, anything. Yet when the reverse happens and they have positive experiences, they're silent. So, when a company makes me happy, or even exceeds my expectations, I like to say so.

[*] - Completely unrelated to mygearstore, but Ice Creme is packaged really oddly, TBH. Radtech stacks the two bottles of liquid and the applicator pads/swabs all in a single vertical line, so the package is more than three times as tall as either of the individual bottles! I assume the packaging is intended for retail display, to have the highest possible visibility. Radtech also has a direct-order web store, and I can't imagine they package it in such a strange manner for their own shipping!

shaner2000

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Your report is particularly good to hear, shaner2000, given the communication problems people have reported with mygearstore in the past. It was an interest in hearing recent accounts like these that led to my thread necromancy. Since mygearstore was visibly active on this thread in the past, you'd certainly hope that someone there took the complaints to heart, and realized there were problems on their end that had to be corrected. The email you received appears to be a sign of at least some improvement in keeping their customers updated when orders are delayed. Hope you'll keep us posted on the outcome! (BTW: Can you tell us if they already charged you for the backordered merchandise?)

I was charged already, but I think that's more a function of the transaction type (paypal).

I've not had issues with charges getting reversed off my paypal account before for goods not delivered, so I'm not too worried at this point.

What is interesting to me is....they still have an active listing on ebay:

here

listing "10 available" and yet mine is supposedly on backorder until Sept 1.

Willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now.

shaner2000

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
listing "10 available" and yet mine is supposedly on backorder until Sept 1.

Willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now.

Both of mine arrived today (2 days before initial backorder ship date) in original PowerSupport packaging as described.

Summary: No problems and arrived ahead of schedule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.