Anyone else have random days with terrible battery life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SisterBlue22, May 12, 2015.

1. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

I received my watch on April 30th...38 mm Sport Green. I pull it off the charger at 100% charge at 6:30am, strap it on, and off I go to work. On a typical day, with moderate usage, I still have 45%-ish charge left by 5pm when I get home.

However, on two separate days - one day last week, and the second time being today - the battery drain has been amazingly bad. Right now, I'm sitting here at 13% at 2:47pm, and I've barely used the watch all day. On the bad day last week, I was at around 25% by 2pm. Every other day, I'd still be in the 60%'s at this time of day.

I foresee a Genius appointment in my future, but it's not like I can replicate this in front of them. I'll start logging battery % throughout the day, I guess, and see if this kind of bad day happens again.

Anyone else have random bad battery drain days since getting their watch?

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Have you tried rebooting your watch? Push and hold down the button and the crown simultaneously until the apple logo shows up on the watch face. This seems to clear up most oddities I've noticed. I seem to accumulate oddities on two day intervals so far. So far since rebooting every morning when I put the watch on it seems to do fine the rest of the say. I just started doing this in the past two or three days.

3. SisterBlue22 thread starter macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

Thanks for your response. Yup, I've rebooted the watch several times since I've had it for other little weirdnesses...last time this happened, I charged it overnight as usual and got 4 or 5 more "normal" battery days afterward.

As I'm typing this, my watch just thunked me to warn me that I'm at 10%. Sad face.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I'd make a Genius Bar appointment to at least discuss it, if you have the time and live near an Apple Store. Take your charger in with you, too. They might have gotten other customers come in with the same issue. You won't know until you ask. At any rate it will have to be a refreshing change to them from dealing with customers demanding an exchange because there's a scratch on the watch or scuff on the band that is abundantly clear to anyone if you hold the watch under a magnifying glass under halogen light and should not exist on a product this expensive. :rolleyes:

This is definitely a first generation product. I've had a couple of instances where the watch did charge fully but the watch severely overheated (not normal). Sometimes it just gets lightly warm (which is normal). Sometimes like it was just on the table not being charged, in terms of being a neutral temperature. But the battery was always fully charged. Other people reporting overheating also report failure to charge. So my situation was an anomaly. Fortunately it has not recurred.

I've had my IPhone 6Plus randomly discharge quickly for no apparent reason, but oddly not at all since pairing it with the Apple Watch. My husband has not had one ounce of weirdness with his identical model iPhone and so far his 42 mm SS black classic buckle has not given him a single problem or oddity. He got his about a week after I got mine.

I swear it's like voodoo. Maybe we need to sacrifice a Casio digital watch under the light of a full moon to fix these weird issues.

5. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This worked for my battery issues! I think I'll repeat every full moon... Although I'm hoping my casio calculator watch counts for a few moon turns.

6. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

This happened to me once, low battery warning went off at 2 or 3pm. It's been a week already, never happened again.

7. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I've been consistently getting between 50-55% every night after about a 16 hour day.

8. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I have had this happen when apps get "stuck" loading onto the watch. I had my battery rocket down one day and I saw that several apps were stuck in the loading position. I tapped them and they finished loading. After that it's been pretty consistent.

9. alexthegreat80 macrumors newbie

I also had a random day of lower than usual battery life.

My day starts at 5:30am and usually ends around 10:30pm. I find I have had around 35%-40% battery.

There was one day however, where by 6pm I got the 10% warning, and by 9:30 I had 2%. At which point I put it to power reserve. Then at 10:30 I put it on the charger and next morning decided to restart it and start my day.

I had another day about a week later were I got to 15% by 8pm.

I pretty much use it the same amount everyday.

I'm not too concern by it- yet.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No, actually just the opposite.

Put my watch on today at 7am. Emails, other notifications and texts coming in all day. It's now 3:40pm and I've got 81% battery remaining. And this is with the middle brightness setting.

I charge the watch nightly anyway (so it doesn't die mid-day on day #2), so the amount I'm left with at the end of the night is moot. But the battery life has been so good for me that I don't bother to have the battery meter as one of my watch face complications any more.

11. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

No.

84% as we speak, been off the charger since 7am ET today. It will have 60-65% by the time I take it off.

I'm actually very impressed with the battery.

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

I had this happen this morning.

Pulled off charger 6:30am. By 8:12am I was at 81%. I rebooted phone and watch. It's 3:57pm now. I'm at 55%. That's a lot better. I'm glad I noticed it before I ran out of battery all day.

13. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

I'm on my second day. Took it off the charger at 100% at 6:30am. No texts or calls. Low brightness setting. Did a 17 minute workout. Played with customizing watch faces. It's 30% now at 4:30p. Not sure what to expect yet.

14. Twyntub macrumors member

I installed... An iPhone battery level checker app of all things. It didn't seem to work and I found my %age at the end of a 16 hour day went from 60+% to below 40%. Uninstalled and all's well again.

15. acosmichippo macrumors regular

I had a horrible battery day today, never had this happen before. Normally I don't even pay attention to the battery since I still have around 30-40% left by her time.

But today I woke up at ~4am, and my watch just died completely around 2:35pm. Not even 12 hours! Normal usage as far as I know (haven't even gone to work out yet). I'm guessing something was just going on in the background, like loading apps or transferring pictures or something. I'll check the Usage page in settings when I get home.

16. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I oddly feels like something is up with this: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-did-my-apple-watch-battery-tank-hard-today.1927803/

17. acosmichippo macrumors regular

18. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Well that is the point. Many of us have been equally impressed with the battery. Then one day, for no apparent reason, *poof* it's dead, Jim. That is the situation being sussed.

19. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I've only had this happen once while running 1.0.1. I got it on launch day, and have only had it happen once. Battery life on 2.0 is great. I go to bed with at least 60% left when I put it on the charging stand.

20. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I had the battery drain really quickly at one point and pinpointed it to the Waterlogged app that I installed; after removing it, my battery life returned to normal.

Aside from that, I think I had one day where the battery discharged faster than usual but still had enough to get me through the day. After recharging it that night as per my normal charging habits, it went back to normal the next day and has been working brilliantly ever since, even after updating to WatchOS 2.

That being said, I have had to unpair the watch once when it got out of range of my phone and wouldn't reconnect and once after updating to WatchOS 2 where I could not dictate responses (it was like the mic wasn't hearing me) but overall I've had to reboot the watch maybe 2-3 times in the 6 months I've owned it, and that seems like an acceptable rate to me.

21. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Thanks for quoting a post from May. Still no battery issues. Prayers sent.

22. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This happened to me yesterday ... ended the day at 8% instead of the normal 65%. Very odd... didn't really use it any more than normal.

23. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

happened to me for the first time yesterday. my AW is typically around 40% when i get home. Last night it was down to 20%.

24. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Just had my first bad battery life yesterday with the new update. I was golfing and usually burn 15-20% per 90-120 minutes of golf. Yesterday it was dropped 30% per hour. Cold booted and it was back to normal.

25. Ryanclbryant macrumors member

Ryanclbryant

Intermittent issue for sure; typical for me is 30-40% when putting it back on the charger at night. Without changing anything I can have days at 50-60% or other days it is dying a couple hours before bed.