Anyone else having second thoughts about the iPhone 4 after seeing iOS4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KadMac, Jun 21, 2010.

1. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

I currently have a iPhone 3G so I do like the new iOS4 but I am starting to find myself not quite as excited about the iPhone 4 now that I have seen the new OS. I am missing a lot of nice features I know with my current 3G. I also have the iPhone 4 reserved so I am pretty confident I will still get it.

But I can't help but have a feeling of I kind of have everything already with what the iPhone 4 will offer and what I will actually use except for new hardware upgrades. Anyone else feeling like this?

2. VTAb182 macrumors regular

Yeah same here. But I was never looking for many new features. Everything in iOS4 that I would actually use I already had via jailbreak. I'm mainly in it for the hardware (better quality camera, flash, battery, and speed)

3. JakeyBoy macrumors member

I can understand youre feelings, but im still happy about getting one. Just hope my BestBuy Pre-Order comes through. I was number 16 in line, and i just know theres gonna be only 15. :D

However in my case, i have no Lock button, or Home button on my 3G, and ive been using a jailbreak app called QuickDo to deal with it for months, and its just been terrible. So I'm very happy to give up my 200.

4. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

What features are you referring to that you will miss out on your 3G?

5. M87 macrumors 65816

iPhone 4 is all about hardware. The hi-res screen and camera quality are what sold me. There's lots of other neat stuff though like the gyroscope and front cam. Not to mention the much improved physical design.

6. stevenisHAUNTED macrumors member

No.

The hardware difference is the biggest leap especially if you're coming from a 3G.

I'm not worried about anything at all when I get the iPhone 4...hoping I get one whether it be from AT&T or BB since there are no Apple stores near. :(

7. coasterswim macrumors 6502

8. Novablas macrumors member

Nope. I'm upgrading from a 3G, and the slowness is unbelievable. The 3G and original EDGE iPhone should not have been so utterly slow.

I can't wait to ditch this thing and finally have the speed and smoothness those with the 3GS get to enjoy.

Plus, that new display is going to be phenomenal, as is the camera and HD video recording.

9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I could care less about iOS 4.0, my jump from iPhone/3G to iPhone 4 is a quantum leap.

I would still be upgrading even without 4.0.

EDIT:
    I don't think that is a fair statement. Both my iPhone and my iPhone 3G were suitable for the software that came out in there time, say, 2 years after the launches. After that it's time to upgrade.

10. Farfooz macrumors member

Farfooz

no, no second thoughts. actually pushed me more with the fact my 3gs is lagging on the homescreen, want that better processor + ram :D

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Someone jacked my iphone 3GS the day before pre-orders opened up (hell of a year for me... first my macbook pro was stolen, now this!) so no, I'm NOT having second thoughts about having ordered. :) After a week without a cell phone, it'll be nice when it finally gets here.

Even if I still had my 3GS, I'd be looking forward to the upgrade. The new hardware, more RAM and better display will definitely make iOS4 sing.

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Too late for second thoughts now haha. Paid in store and shipped!

13. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Progress bar, time to get coffee, etc.....

14. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Good for you but for many the name "iPhone 4" alone was worth the upgrade!

15. KadMac thread starter macrumors regular

KadMac

Actually I was thinking about that today. From what I have read, the front facing camera (vga) is not as high quality (hd) as the other camera on the back. So the front camera makes it convenient for those wanting to take a picture without having to turn the camera but at the same time, the camera in the front is going to provide a lower quality picture compared to the one in the back, thus causing people to want to flip their camera still anyway to take pictures. What are is everyone's thoughts on that?

Thanks for all the other replies. You guys all have a point that iPhone 4 isn't just about the new OS.

16. andrewb21 macrumors member

The hardware for me is huge, but just to be twice as excited, I am holding off on updating my 3GS to iOS4 until just before I sell it or until Thursday when my i4 gets here so that it's all one big exciting changeover.

On that topic- I try to make it a habit that for the last few days before a product launch or arrival to start focusing on other things, not reading MR, etc. and just kind of forget about it so I'm not worn out on the content when the item is finally in my hand, really works well for me.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Yes....iOS4 on my 3Gs is awesome. Works great and seemingly faster too. No need for me to upgrade.

18. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Same here. I'm particularly sold on the better camera with flash, doubled RAM, new screen and front-side camera. I will finally be able to do away with my old digital camera when I go out.

19. ahintz macrumors member

ahintz

After installing iOS 4 on my 3G, it has only whet my appetite for iPhone 4. The lack of multitasking, especially, would push me to get a new phone. And the addition of the amazing screen, much better camera (with HD video), and faster processor makes the purchase a no brainer when coming from my 3G.

Now, if I had a 3GS, it would be a lot harder to justify the purchase. iOS 4 on a 3GS gives you a lot of what iPhone 4 will give you. The screen, however, might have been enough to justify the purchase. Very glad I held off upgrading last year, though - looking forward to getting my iPhone 4 on Thursday.

20. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Well, Apple said the iPhone 4 itself was changing everything again, not iOS 4.0. That said, I'm going from 3G to iPhone 4, so it should seem like a brand new phone. Even playing with my wife's 3GS has me impressed with the speed improvements.

21. KadMac thread starter macrumors regular

KadMac

I just watched the keynote and I am feeling excited again. :)

22. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

LOL.. this made me laugh..

Us humans, so excited, then almost immediately want more. I am guilty as charged, many times over.

Aside from making my 3GS appeal to as many people as possible for resale, this was a reason I didn't upgrade the operating system.
    Having the new software on the new hardware, giving me the full monty at first take is the effect I am shooting for.

The iOS4 looks pretty stocked, but I will express that the hardware improvements are what tickle my fancy the most. The screen, the flash and front camera, double mic'ed new design, etc. All of this running the software will make for one helluva device.

I have told many people many times that the iPhone (whichever model I was using) is by far the most amazing/useful piece of technology I have ever owned. I am eager to continue the truth of said statement with the iPhone 4.

Blonde Buddhist

23. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Everyone who is now disappointed in the iPhone 4, you should DEFINITELY stick with your current phone. I will be glad to take your pre-order or reservation off your hands. ;)

24. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

This is exactly why I held off from updating my 3G to iOS4. I want to experience it on the iPhone 4. At least you still have FaceTime, HD Recording, and all that other stuff to look forward.

It's sometimes worth the wait to undress a woman when she gets to your house instead of raping her in the parking lot after a date.

25. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

This year it's my wife's turn to upgrade, and she is going from her 3G to the iPhone 4, so iOS4 changes nothing in the grand scheme of things for her.

She's just super excited to have video capability so she can spam all our friend's and family with videos of the kids.