Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
4th gen Apple Watch. I can wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth and it goes away but it always comes back. And always in the same spot. Almost like condensation getting underneath the display. I’ll be taking it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

2liehrl.jpg

b49o3l.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
4th gen Apple Watch. I can wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth and it goes away but it always comes back. And always in the same spot. Almost like condensation getting underneath the display. I’ll be taking it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

2liehrl.jpg

b49o3l.jpg

It’s either an issue with the Oleophobic coating or moisture under the display. They likely will replace your watch, but they don’t carry replacement Apple Watches in store, so they would have to ship out your watch to a repair depot, if they can verify the defect, then they will send you a replacement/refurbished watch under warranty.

Here is a similar thread another member had:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ring-around-glass-edge.2141020/

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not sure what happened to you screen but it is borked for sure. Do not think it is moisture inside or it would not wipe away with a microfiber cloth. Also if it was moister, the screen would have dies long ago.

Looks like the screen could have been cleaned or abraded by something.

Good luck at Apple, please come back and let us know.

Reactions: Fefe82

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
It’s either an issue with the Oleophobic coating or moisture under the display. They likely will replace your watch, but they don’t carry replacement Apple Watches in store, so they would have to ship out your watch to a repair depot, if they can verify the defect, then they will send you a replacement/refurbished watch under warranty.

Here is a similar thread another member had:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ring-around-glass-edge.2141020/
Thanks. At the Apple store now. We’ll see what happens.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Update: I was able to get Apple to send the Watch in for service. He couldn’t guarantee I wouldn’t the exact same Watch back but he was pretty confident they’d fix the existing one or send me a new one. He said he didn’t think it would be treated as cosmetic. Fingers crossed wherever it’s going they don’t think differently.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Update: I was able to get Apple to send the Watch in for service. He couldn’t guarantee I wouldn’t the exact same Watch back but he was pretty confident they’d fix the existing one or send me a new one. He said he didn’t think it would be treated as cosmetic. Fingers crossed wherever it’s going they don’t think differently.

There’s no way that’s cosmetic.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
There’s no way that’s cosmetic.
It could be the Oleophobic coating which is probably considered cosmetic. The OP may have very acidic sweat. If so they will probably just wipe it off (likely isopropyl alcohol) and send it back but looking good as before.

Reactions: 44267547

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Just got an email from Apple. They couldn’t reproduce my issue but are going to send me a replacement device anyway. Sending it out today. Nice.
Have the same issue just the other way around: my edges are smudged and center is clean. Watch series 4.
Will also get a replacement.
They said it may have been a batch that had this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Have the same issue just the other way around: my edges are smudged and center is clean. Watch series 4.
Will also get a replacement.
They said it may have been a batch that had this issue.
Heh, I’m having that issue with my watch right now. I have the latest version with the always on display. Incredibly annoying because they can’t fix Apple Watches at the store so you’re without your watch for a week or more. This will be the second watch with display issues for me. ?

527571A7-5B30-4BF6-89D4-C1AA29542272.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Heh, I’m having that issue with my watch right now. I have the latest version with the always on display. Incredibly annoying because they can’t fix Apple Watches at the store so you’re without your watch for a week or more. This will be the second watch with display issues for me. 🙁

View attachment 903671

It’s a reaction with oils from your skin with the oleophobic coating on the display. What I would suggest, is you can use 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol with a slight amount of glass cleaner on a microfiber cloth, and that will clean up the cloudiness. It won’t make the situation any worse, but It Should remove some of the hazing that you’re seeing. The only other option, is to replace the display all together. Either way, it’s a warranty issue that Apple should acknowledge with no issue.

Reactions: Fefe82

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
It’s a reaction with oils from your skin with the oleophobic coating on the display. What I would suggest, is you can use 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol with a slight amount of glass cleaner on a microfiber cloth, and that will clean up the cloudiness. It won’t make the situation any worse, but It Should remove some of the hazing that you’re seeing. The only other option, is to replace the display all together. Either way, it’s a warranty issue that Apple should acknowledge with no issue.
Thanks. I’ll try that and see if it works.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Heh, I’m having that issue with my watch right now. I have the latest version with the always on display. Incredibly annoying because they can’t fix Apple Watches at the store so you’re without your watch for a week or more. This will be the second watch with display issues for me. ?

View attachment 903671
If you have AppleCare, that's not true. They offer advanced exchange. You give them a credit card number for a hold, they ship you the replacement, then you send your defective watch in. The 'hold' on your credit card then falls off.

With all that's going on with COVID-19, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't offer advance exchange for anyone who actually knows about it.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I tried an advance replacement on my S3 a month after I got it (when the S3 first came out).

In order to process this useful advance replacement Apple said that I had to unpair the watch and keep it unpaired so that the serial number being actively registered didn't cancel the process.

Essentially this meant that the advance replacement was completely useless and I ended up dropping my watch off at an Apple Store.

During all this fiasco I was called several times and asked to return their call and then realised I had been given a premium rate number for the callback which cost me an additional £40 on my mobile bill.

I seriously considered scrapping having an AW at the time and going for a Garmin Fenix but you cannot beat the total utility of having the AW so now I have a S5 and my S3 replacement is a reserve.

Protozo

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017

2liehrl.jpg

b49o3l.jpg
Same issue with my new aw stainless steel aw series 5. At the corners appears like condensation, I clean with a microfiber and appears again in 1 or 2 hours...

Attachments

• D13D7325-978B-4791-A0D8-16664D7DDC33.jpeg
    D13D7325-978B-4791-A0D8-16664D7DDC33.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 80

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Same issue with my new aw stainless steel aw series 5. At the corners appears like condensation, I clean with a microfiber and appears again in 1 or 2 hours...

That’s a direct side effect of the oleophobic coating when you try to clean it due to the defect, it sort of reappears hazy/foggy looking on display.

There’s really nothing you can do, the display has to be replaced, unless you can fully strip the coating off the display and then have it reapplied, but that would be a far more tasking situation to achieve.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I let this go thinking it might go away but alas it hasn’t. These are from two different days. I’ll be back to an Apple store when they re-open here. It sucks because I really hate being without a watch. I wish they could do in store replacements. I’m not sure why the stores couldn’t be stocked with just replacement models that don’t come with anything but the watch itself.

D90868C7-BD8B-4333-AF56-D86AEB0EC9FD.jpeg 74853CC8-C6DE-448C-9786-77159BA7E997.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I let this go thinking it might go away but alas it hasn’t. These are from two different days. I’ll be back to an Apple store when they re-open here. It sucks because I really hate being without a watch. I wish they could do in store replacements. I’m not sure why the stores couldn’t be stocked with just replacement models that don’t come with anything but the watch itself.

View attachment 921847 View attachment 921848

Apple doesn’t stock Apple Watch replacements, because the Apple Watch can’t be repaired at an Apple store (Lack of parts, Geniuses are not trained And Timing of the repair is extensive), they have to go to a ‘tech depot‘ in Kentucky, from there, the replacements are shipped to various off-site warehouses, then they ship the replacements to the customer that are considered ‘refurbished‘ under Apples standards.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008

View attachment 921847 View attachment 921848

You raise an interesting issue regarding watch replacement, no matter what the precipitating cause.

What about people with a history of falling, who purchased a Watch because of fall detection? If something were to happen to their watch and they had to be without for a week or so, they would be at risk.

The same could be said for those with a fib. Apple should have a means to quickly and easily replace a defective watch. Please note, I am not suggesting that Apple absorb the cost, if not covered. Just that the whole process needs to be streamlined.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Apple doesn’t stock Apple Watch replacements, because the Apple Watch can’t be repaired at an Apple store (Lack of parts, Geniuses are not trained And Timing of the repair is extensive), they have to go to a ‘tech depot‘ in Kentucky, from there, the replacements are shipped to various off-site warehouses, then they ship the replacements to the customer that are considered ‘refurbished‘ under Apples standards.
You raise an interesting issue regarding watch replacement, no matter what the precipitating cause.

What about people with a history of falling, who purchased a Watch because of fall detection. If something were to happen to their watch and they had to be without for a week or so, they would be at risk.

The same could be said for those with a fib. Apple should have a means to quickly and easily replace a defective watch. Please note, I am not suggesting that Apple absorb the cost, if not covered. Just that the whole process needs to be streamlined.
I don’t know why they can’t have refurbished watches stocked at stores. Then you can just swap and they can send the damaged watch to wherever it goes to be repaired. When I had a display issue with my iPad Pro they just gave me a new one in store. I’m assuming it was a refurb but I got it immediately, not sent to me 5 days later. Considering the Watch is something you wear and most people are probably using it for health/fitness reason not having in store replacement options is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t know why they can’t have refurbished watches stocked at stores. Then you can just swap and they can send the damaged watch to wherever it goes to be repaired. When I had a display issue with my iPad Pro they just gave me a new one in store. I’m assuming it was a refurb but I got it immediately, not sent to me 5 days later.

Allocation. My guess is, it’s easier for them to ship all the replacement Apple Watches from one site location versus having individual stock replacement Apple Watch models at XYZ store, which probably would be a larger hassle to keep a circulating inventory of replacement Apple Watches that probably would need to be replenished almost on a Daily basis for Customer walk-ins.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I don’t know why they can’t have refurbished watches stocked at stores. Then you can just swap and they can send the damaged watch to wherever it goes to be repaired. When I had a display issue with my iPad Pro they just gave me a new one in store. I’m assuming it was a refurb but I got it immediately, not sent to me 5 days later. Considering the Watch is something you wear and most people are probably using it for health/fitness reason not having in store replacement options is ridiculous.
I agree with your argument but then think of the next person taking their MBP in and saying they should have refurbished units available because they are a graphics pro and for their job, they need to edit those photos every night and that's more important that someone tracking HR etc. Or then the iPhone person because their mom is sick and they need to be available 24/7 and can't be without their phone...

Just saying that soon - Apple stores are carrying refurbs of every single product because everyone is more important than the last.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I agree with your argument but then think of the next person taking their MBP in and saying they should have refurbished units available because they are a graphics pro and for their job, they need to edit those photos every night and that's more important that someone tracking HR etc. Or then the iPhone person because their mom is sick and they need to be available 24/7 and can't be without their phone...

Just saying that soon - Apple stores are carrying refurbs of every single product because everyone is more important than the last.
Well I got a refurbished iPad Pro at an Apple store. Macs might be different because of custom configurations. I can’t imagine there are that many Apple watches being replaced on a daily basis. I can’t imagine it would be difficult to stock refurbs of the most popular model in stores. Btw Apple store employees have told me they wish they could service watches in store similar to how they can replace cracked iPhone displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.