Anyone else having this issue with their watch display?

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
4th gen Apple Watch. I can wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth and it goes away but it always comes back. And always in the same spot. Almost like condensation getting underneath the display. I’ll be taking it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
4th gen Apple Watch. I can wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth and it goes away but it always comes back. And always in the same spot. Almost like condensation getting underneath the display. I’ll be taking it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

It’s either an issue with the Oleophobic coating or moisture under the display. They likely will replace your watch, but they don’t carry replacement Apple Watches in store, so they would have to ship out your watch to a repair depot, if they can verify the defect, then they will send you a replacement/refurbished watch under warranty.

Here is a similar thread another member had:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ring-around-glass-edge.2141020/

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not sure what happened to you screen but it is borked for sure. Do not think it is moisture inside or it would not wipe away with a microfiber cloth. Also if it was moister, the screen would have dies long ago.

Looks like the screen could have been cleaned or abraded by something.

Good luck at Apple, please come back and let us know.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
It’s either an issue with the Oleophobic coating or moisture under the display. They likely will replace your watch, but they don’t carry replacement Apple Watches in store, so they would have to ship out your watch to a repair depot, if they can verify the defect, then they will send you a replacement/refurbished watch under warranty.

Here is a similar thread another member had:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ring-around-glass-edge.2141020/
Thanks. At the Apple store now. We’ll see what happens.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Update: I was able to get Apple to send the Watch in for service. He couldn’t guarantee I wouldn’t the exact same Watch back but he was pretty confident they’d fix the existing one or send me a new one. He said he didn’t think it would be treated as cosmetic. Fingers crossed wherever it’s going they don’t think differently.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
Update: I was able to get Apple to send the Watch in for service. He couldn’t guarantee I wouldn’t the exact same Watch back but he was pretty confident they’d fix the existing one or send me a new one. He said he didn’t think it would be treated as cosmetic. Fingers crossed wherever it’s going they don’t think differently.
There’s no way that’s cosmetic.

matthijst

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Just got an email from Apple. They couldn’t reproduce my issue but are going to send me a replacement device anyway. Sending it out today. Nice.
Have the same issue just the other way around: my edges are smudged and center is clean. Watch series 4.
Will also get a replacement.
They said it may have been a batch that had this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeanosMagicHat