Anyone else here lose hope for iPhone 4 Unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by atrac7, Dec 1, 2010.

?

iPhone 4 Unlock: Believe it's possible by 2011 or Not?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Don't need an iPhone 4 Unlock

29 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. atrac7 macrumors regular

I respect all the hard work and dedication the dev team and other programmers do out there. It just feels like all the "exploits" and "unlock for 4.1 is nearly ready, but we'll wait for 4.2 to come out" announced appears to be a gone case. If the 3G and 3GS are having weird issues with requiring an iPad firmware to unlock, then iPhone 4 on 4.1-4.2 unlock seems ages away.

Yes, I am fully aware what I got myself into. But much of the buildup to why i purchased the iPhone 4 was quite a good deal of information posted that the unlock was pretty much ready for 4.1, and it would be released very close after 4.2 release. Guess I'll keep on using it as a glorified iPod Touch...

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I'm not looking for the unlock as I'm on AT&T but I'm waiting for the new revision of PwnageTool for the iPhone 4.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well, I posted this on the DevTeam blog this morning:

To answer those demanding information on iPhone 4 unlock for 2.10.xx baseband.
    The situation is this:
    Yes, the DevTeam has made the iPhone 4 unlock for 2.10.xx a priority.
    They are exploring some baseband crashes to see if they are exploitable
    It is a very long path from a baseband crash to a functioning unlock tool.
    There is absolutely no way to give an ETA since it is a work in progress.
    Those of you who think finding an unlock is like baking a cake (20 minutes in the oven and it is done) are sadly niave. Hint: If it was that easy, you could do it yourself.
    When they make some significant progress, they will perhaps issue some tweets.

Since they have made this a priority, I believe the solution will be found. Patience is the answer.

The DevTeam has never indicated that the 4.1 unlocks for the iPhone 4 (baseband 2.10.xx) was anywhere close to being ready. In fact, sherif-hashim who is responsible for most of the recent baseband crashes which have lead to unlocks, has tweeted several times that all they had were some "promising" baseband crashes.

The unlocks you refer to being released after 4.2 firmware was released were the unlocks for 3G/3GS.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Be patient young paduwan, it will come. I'm currently unlocked on 4.1 now and don't plan on upgrading to 4.2 until the unlock for that comes out. I have the utmost faith in these guys so patience is key :D

5. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

If it's getting harder and harder to find a way to jailbreak tethered or untethered, and really difficult to find a way to unlock, why does the Dev Team release all their secrets? When they jailbroke/unlock 4.1 they said that it would require a hardware refresh in order to block their exploit and that obviously isn't true. I believe they said their jailbreak "works for life," I may have misquoted but it was something along those lines. I am just wondering why they are giving themselves more work by telling Apple what they did, allowing them to fix it.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Why would you lose hope so soon? Unlocking have always been a long and complicated process!!!

what are you talking about? why do you think we have a tether Jailbreak for 4.2.1 from day one???? they didn't lie, the bootroom exploit is there forever as long as you own that device and it will exploitable forever, untether jailbreak need more than just that exploit and Unlocking is a whole another monster since it have to do with the baseband.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

8. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Buy the phone factory unlocked from another country.

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

Just to get this straight, the reason 'unlocking' is such a huge thing is because Americans are stuck to one carrier still - correct? Or is it more global?

We don't hear about it here in the UK - you just phone your carrier, ask them to unlock you, plug it into iTunes and that's that, forever. Jailbroken or not, iTunes unlocks the phone every time.

@OP, you seriously spent, what $400(?), assuming that some unofficial, script-fiddling 'team' is going to find an exploit for you in the weeks after? Regardless of how talented they may be, that's a pretty big risk - especially if you cared about the money (which I assume you do since you're posting this complaint).

10. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

I have had all the iPhones before this going through the unlock process. I suppose I was just used to having unlocks ready when I bought the phone or ready shortly after purchasing the phones.

Unfortunately you are right--ATT has a choke hold on iPhone users here and it is the one phone where even if you call in they won't unlock it. Even for legitimate international use.

To be honest, I bought the iPhone 4 because I got a great price on it. In fact, I was able to sell my old 3GS for more than what I paid, although that former phone had 32 GB and this iPhone 4 is 16 GB. I decided to take the gamble. I also did state I knew what I got myself into. I just wanted to see others opinion on the situation...

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Some new info. Here is a series of Tweets about this. Unfortunately the information is not what all of you want to hear.
    Ehhmad Ehhmad Hasun
    @chpwn any good news for i4?
    1 Dec
    chpwn chpwn
    @Ehhmad Do not expect an unlock until at /least/ March.
    1 Dec Favorite Retweet Reply
    aNySn0w Archibald Gates
    @chpwn are you kidding :((((is it a bit longer ?? 4 moth :mad:(((((((as comedian told everything is joke :((((((((
    1 hour ago
    chpwn chpwn
    @aNySn0w It's whenever someone makes one. I'd even say there won't ever be one. Don't assume anytime soon.
    42 minutes ago
    dhlizard Dave
    @chpwn You have set the DevTeam blog half crazy with these 2 tweets. Is this 4 month timeline with some authority or just being careful
    37 minutes ago
    in reply to ↑
    @chpwn chpwn
    @dhlizard All I'm saying is to not expect anything soon. No dates are /ever/ confirmed.
    10 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

They only said certain devices would be jailbreakable for life, not unlockable for life. But each time iOS is updated, it takes some time for them to update their jailbreak tools. A jailbreak is NOT the same as an unlock.

An unlock is never a sure thing. I think they will find one for current iPhone 4 baseband, since that is their number 1 priority and they have some baseband crashes which are the first step (without those you are completely dead in the water.) Of course, they will now need to find a way to use those crashes to actually be able to get into the baseband firmware and do their work.

13. eshroom macrumors 6502

If you need an unlock so bad, why not buy one unlocked?

I do every year and it saves me a lot of money and gives me extra flexibility.

www.wewantonenow.com
    www.play.com

Or Apple store in some countries.

14. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

I don't feel safe & secure buying a phone online from the uk and all that. I have the iphone 4 jailbroken on at&t but their service is horrible and the plans are expensive. I wanna get it unlocked to use on t-mobile for better service & plan but by the looks of it, it'll be a few months and i've already just stopped bothering and checking on an unlock method to be available. iphone 4 16gb is going for $550-$600 and I can never seem to find a 32gb iphone 4 unlocked so it sucks. Guess i'll just sell my phone and do without it for awhile..

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Come on you are not paying attention to Chpwn. 1. He has nothing to do with unlock 2. He is known for his intolerance of stupid questions and provides stupid answers in response.

The 4 month time frame was obviously meant to stop the questions on that subject.

There are only two people who tweet that any attention should be given on unlocks Musclenerd and Sherif Hashim. The information as far as i am aware remains the same Crash found by Sherif Hashim and Musclenerd working it with more priority this week than last week.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Your point(s) are well taken. Here is some additional info

aNySn0w Archibald Gates
    @MuscleNerd please tell us, should we trust @chpwn he told we should not expect unlock for 2.10.04 until March :(( is it true ?? :((((
    4 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    in reply to ↑

@MuscleNerd MuscleNerd
    @aNySn0w Not sure where he got that date :) (he doesn't work on unlocks)
    3 hours ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

17. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Thanks for the additional info.

I think any timeline is a basically a complete guess at this point. They just started really working on trying to exploit the crash(es) they found, it could be 4 days it could be 4 years.

But I don't recall an instance where a found crash/exploit was not able to be used for jailbreak/unlock.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I loled at this. :D

19. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It is only like baking a cake (wait a few and its done) for us!

20. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank god for this post because I was about to post up my phone on craigslist.:D

21. g35 macrumors 6502a

I'm on 4.1 with 2.14.10 (I think). 4.2.1 comes packaged with 5.14.02, right? So is dev team working on 2.14.10 like an above poster said, or 5.14.02, or both?

Seems like they should be doing the latest one, but have had much more time with 2.14.xx. Does anyone know which it is? Obviously I know I'm not in any position to say what they should be doing, just speculating.

Asking because since I don't need the unlock right now (maybe 6 months) if they're working on 5.14.02 then I could upgrade right now and unlock when it's ready. I know I should be patient but I want the free find my iPhone feature. Obviously if dev team tells me to stay where I am right now and be patient, as they have, then I will continue to do so, as I have.

22. Zermelo macrumors regular

Have you checked craigslist, I don't know what it's like in South Texas, but in NYC, iPhone 4's are always being sold factory unlock, jailbroken, etc.

23. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

They are working on 2.10.04 right now, for iPhone 4. They just released the unlocking method using the iPad baseband for the other phones, so I don't think they're working on it otherwise (for the time being.)

You should basically stay where you are, if an unlock is important to you. No telling when an exploit will (if ever) be found for 5.14.02. Dev team's advice is always to stay where you are until there is specific news for your phone, if an unlock is important to you.

24. Zermelo, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

Zermelo macrumors regular

You know instead of a useless poll of opinions of people who have no inside knowledge of whether or when an unlock for the iPhone 4 is coming out for basbands 02.10.xx, the OP or someone who was willing to do the research, could look at the time it took to unlock each previous baseband, and take an average.

While this doesn't guarantee how long this particular unlock could take, it does give you some idea whether or not it is taking longer than average.

What we DO KNOW, is that so far, the Dev-Team and/or Geohut have come up with unlock solutions on all the newest phones after sometime, and that in itself should give everyone faith that one for the iPhone 4 on the newest basebands will as well.

In fact, for just about any piece of major consumer electronics: PS3, Wii, xbox, psp, etc. etc, some exploit has been found. No piece of equipment is built perfectly, and these companies spend hundreds of millions in attempting to protect their propriety interest.

If these scripters have managed to get around apple's coders and engineers attempts so far, in all likelihood they will again.

The fact is they have only started working on 02.10.xx baseband seriously this week, not enough time has passed to even start giving up faith.

25. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I haven't given up my faith! I'm a born again unlock-ian who believes in unlock-ism or unlock-ianity (the faith is known by multiple names!).