Anyone else in the UK (on O2) dreading the next few weeks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soundburst, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

So I'm due an upgrade for my 3GS and really looking forward to an iPhone 5 but we all know O2.

Their launch will be a shambles. . .there'll be no way to pre order online . . .there'll be a month long wait until they actually get stock lol.

Anyone in my situation last year?

How did you go about getting an iPhone 4 from o2's website. Will it even be possible?!

2. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

why dont you just keep your contract rolling and buy an iPhone 5 outright? the upgrade prices will probably be ridiculous.

3. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I would guess the upgrade price will be as per the current iPhone 4 'new customer' price. That's what I've been offered the last few years.

This year I'm doing it different, instead of £35 a month I'm paying giffgaff £10 and if I do get the 5/4S I'll buy it from apple in a few months time when the mad rush has gone. Probably just stick with 4 tho.

As far as availability, the 4 was easier to get at an operators store than it was direct from apple! Phones 4u had loads of stock :)

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I had no trouble last yea with O2. Queued an hour before opening and got one on launch day.

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Couldn't agree more. Launch prices for the iPhone 4 on contract were absolutely ridiculous last year, only 3 had decent prices.

Definitely best to buy it outright if you have the cash, I would even say it's better to save up for a few months and buy it outright than get into a contract.

6. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

The price of about 280 won't bother me to be honest. . Its just getting one.

I don't want to queue, I want to order it on their website but it's always a shambles so I'm nervous lol.

I'd rather pay 280 and my contract than the full 600 and my contract.

7. Richy23 macrumors 6502

I went to an Apple Store for iPhone 4 and upgraded on O2 and had no problems! :D

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm on O2 but my contracts finished back in June so I'm currently on month to month. Regardless I couldn't careless about the availability of the new iPhone through them as I'm just going to get it through Apple sim free and unlocked like I did with the iPhone 4. I'm going to avoid contracts from now on if I can. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 on Apple's web site and got it at launch.

9. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

O2 is bumb they are disorganised and poor ustomer service therefore and expensive BUMP.

Three is a much better alternative-

Faster more coverage cheaper and they are improving massively

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Contracts with iPhone are less valuable than SIM only contracts. He'd be better off cancelling it and buying a SIM only one if he bought outright.

11. JDee macrumors 6502a

Really annoyed O2 never do preorders online.

I got my iPhone 4 ordered last year on the day after release after 4 hours on hold however the demand this year will be probably far higher.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

You might as well give up with your promotion of Three as you sound like a broken record and no one is going to believe you. You obviously work for Three considering all you do is try to convince others they are the best in every respect. I think it's well known how poor their customer service is.

Regards O2 I've been with them for around four years now and never experienced poor customer service. In fact they have always been very helpful. Three may be cheaper but you get what you pay for and that's poor service as well as poor customer service.

13. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

I have Three and it's great, never had a problem with them and where I live the 3G signal is easily better than on O2.

14. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm confused.

Can you upgrade your O2 contract and handset in the apple store :O :O

15. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I was with O2 since the days of cellnet, only left them last month for giffgaff as I no longer use enough mobile calls or texts to justify a pricy monthly deal. Giffgaff use the O2 network tho so same coverage.

As for three... Zero coverage here so certainly not best for me! Everyone has their own requirements tho.

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

So do we reckon the iPhone 5 will be between £500 & £600 on payg from 02 !

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would say £500 and £600 for 16GB and 32GB respectively just like the iPhone 4. There is a chance it will be the same but for 32GB and 64GB respectively. There may well also be a 4S 8GB for £199.

18. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

I ain't the only one that is saying three is better.

Ad I don't work for three how is it obvious?

O2 are a bump and you O2 customers can't take it that three are cheaper and giving a a better service by giving more minutes more data-truly unlimited not like bump O2 decreasing the amount of mins.

It's gollable people like u that will rather get bumped ad stay O2 as u ain't bothered to go into a three store.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The newest beta is NOT the GM. Apple hasn't even released an XCode version devs can use to do apps for IOS5 yet.

20. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been on Three's website and for the unlimited texts and data I have they were dearer AND I was locked into a two year contract rather than 18 months.

Three are keck.

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm not the only one saying Three has both poor service as well as poor customer service.

It's obvious you work for Three and if you don't then they should probably hire you as they need all the help they can get.

Just because a carrier offers a cheaper service doesn't make them better. If they offer poor service, coverage and poor customer service that cheaper price is useless.

I don't have a problem with O2. I get 600 minutes, 500 texts, unlimited data, free Wi-Fi at BT Open Zone and The Cloud hot spots, great customer service and good coverage.

If you're happy with Three then good for you. Please stop promoting it like you work for them if you don't. It's really annoying that in every post all you do is go on about Three and and how cheap and good value they are. I couldn't care less.

22. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

But it seems like u do coz u moaning and cNt take it that three are better.

Faster,more minutes truly unlimited data and more value for money.

U may not have a problem with O2-others do that's why this thread was made.

Stay away from bumped o2

£35/month: 2000 mins
    5000 text
    Unlimited data

02-for same price is only about 600 mins
    Less text
    And cap on Internet usage

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

I barely even use the 600 mins and 500 texts I get. I have no use for 2000 mins and 5000 texts. My internet is unlimited contrary to what you state. I also get free Wi-Fi at BT Open Zone and The Cloud hot spots which Three doesn't give me. I also get visual voice mail which Three does not give me. I also get better coverage and service with O2 in my area and their customer service outshines that of Three by a long shot. For that I pay the same amount. By my calculations I get a better deal overall from O2. In short you have no case.

24. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

O2 was gracious enough to allow me to upgrade before new customers - thats what you get for being a loyal customer, no deal or anything, just a higher priority (but that goes for the other UK carriers too I believe). I called the sales team to order it, but if I were you I'd look into switching to Vodafone or 3 if you're in a big city as they tend to have better data allowances. I've only hit the 500mb limit once on my iPhone but frankly its an insult that O2 capped it at 500mb "to help with data congestion" (as the guy on the phone told me) and then expect me to pay extra for a data bolt on.

That being said, their launch was probably the best for the iPhone 4. At the time Orange was taking orders but had no stock, Vodafone wasn't really ready (talking about local stores though, none had any stock for quite a while), and three were out of the question due to reception issues.

I'd still try to switch, though. Not fond of O2 at all.

25. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Vodafone? They're stingy as hell with data. You have to pay a fortune.