Anyone else jumping on this boat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Massa, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Massa macrumors member

Massa

I was wondering if anyone else is coming from a BB OS or an Android an iOS phone for the first time ever?

* What made you switch?
    * What was it you didn't like about your previous phone experience?

I apologies if this seemed quite random, but I am quite excited to see what you guys think ;).

2. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm switching from Android. Overall, a lot of the apps on Android just seem like crap to me. I never really use widgets, they are just there to take up space and slow down my phone. My phone would lag, crash, or randomly restart itself a lot. Putting music on Android is annoying because I like everything named properly and if any tags are outdated it won't read them properly. I also don't like the UI as much as iOS either.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I currently do not own a smartphone, and will be buying the 4S shortly. I prefer iOS and the design of the iPhone.

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I never had a problem with Android until I bought an iPad earlier this year and fell in love with iOS. A MacBook Air and an iPhone 4s pre-order later, I am looking at an all-Apple ecosystem.

Ultimately the integration between devices with iCloud was a big driver for me. I like the idea of having all 3 of my devices live within a single ecosystem that works cohesively together.

For me personally, "it just works".

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I've heard this a lot. People say Android is great, until you experience iOS ;)

To be fair, Android is a perfectly fine OS and good for many, but I feel like the total iOS package simply cannot be beat.

6. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I was just going to type all the reasons, but decided to check something on my Droid X first...SCREEN FREEZE AND REBOOT. Any questions? I think that's enough in and of itself. Just going to hold hold out for the IP5/6.

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yeah, absolutely. I don't look down on Android at all. Just like iOS it has its strengths and weaknesses. IMO the Android vs. iOS debate lives on the same level as PC vs. Mac and Ford vs. Chevy - in the end it doesn't really matter. They are just different.

Steve once lamented that Microsoft didn't have to lose for Apple to win. This is very relevant to the Android vs. iOS debate IMO. They can co-exist just fine. People will choose what they like. The competition is good.

8. 00trayn macrumors member

I'm coming from a Droid 1 on Verizon and I am SO ready for an iPhone. I don't doubt that newer versions of Android phones are probably much better than my Droid, but I just really don't like Android after using it for a year. It's painfully slow at times, it had a weird problem with installing apps on my internal phone's memory (and thus I essentially ran out of space for apps after 256MB!), and it froze entirely too often. I've just had it with the thing, it's buggy as all hell. I'm looking forward to a much smoother operating system, and having my music right there in iTunes is a plus. I've had an iPod in some form or another (most recently a 3rd gen ipod touch) so I know what I"m getting. Can't wait!

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Only Other Phone

I have owned was an old Symbian (Nokia) I was utter garbage, and whilst I'm sure better Android stuff exists, I'm so used to my iPhone I won't be changing anytime soon (expect to upgrade)

10. Massa thread starter macrumors member

Massa

ROFL! Kind of reminds me of my nexus s that has more battery pull numbers than apps :'(. Their OS is still decent though, not me for unfortunately.

11. Colin Len macrumors newbie

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the 4S ASAP even though I'm not due for a contract renewal until mid March 2012 :( I've been wanting an iPhone for a LONG time but have held out because I wasn't willing to deal with AT&T's ****** reception (unacceptable when you NEED your phone for work). My reasons for wanting to switch:

- iOS seems much smoother and fine tuned, whereas Android can be buggy and rough around the edges.
    - It seems like iOS allows higher performance from less advanced hardware.
    - My Droid is laggy and irritating, it just keeps getting worse and worse and worse (due to warranty replacements and other issues I've had 4 Droids in the past 2yrs)
    - iOS apps > Android apps
    - better integration within my digital life (phone, internet, computer, TV, email...)

Overall Android may be more versatile and able to do more because it's open source. But my experience has been that with Android you can do 90% of the things you want to do, but you can only do those things half as well as you'd like. With iOS you can do 75% of the things you want to do, but you can do those things EXACTLY how you want, or in ways better than you would have imagined on your own. I've spent two years being frustrated that things did not work as well as I'd like them too. Now I'm ready to deal with having a little less available but having what is available actually work.

I do think I'll miss the google/google+/gmail... integration. I'm a big fan of google, I just don't think Android is where it needs to be yet and am a huge fan of Apple/Mac products, especially how "perfected" they are. And I'll miss flash websites as well.

12. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

As a former BB user (of many years), you'll be glad you made the switch. It will take you about 10 days to get use to a non-physical keyboard and you'll be good to go. There's just so much more you can do with the Iphone - and yes for business and pleasure.

Regarding BB v Android V IOS. Just look at the customer satisfaction surveys. Every survey I've seen in the past several years, from every researcher, as similar results. There's no one phone/os that's right for everyone, but overall Iphone users like their phones a lot more than everyone else.

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

13. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Former iPhone 3G user on AT&T, but when my contract was up I switched to Verizon. At the time Verizon didn't have the iPhone so I went with the Droid Incredible. But since I'm eligible for and upgrade I'm back to iPhone.