Anyone else kinda pissed that the 3G S still has a shiny back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jun 9, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was really, really, really, really hoping for a matte finish on the back of the new iPhone. That just gives me one more reason to not upgrade to the iPhone 3G S.

On a side note. I think the iPhone 3G S name is the stupidest name Apple could have picked for the new iPhone. It's starting to sound like every other cell phone out there. Hey guys, I have the Nokia 6554si-2gsX-50!

Anyways... I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 3G S, but I'm unsure... that 32GB model is VERY tempting and I'm hoping they figured out the cracking problem. My white iPhone 3G is cracking near the silence switch and it bugs me.

I think I'll wait until I get to see/use one in person before deciding if it's worth it.

2. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Why does it have to be matte black> I mean I bet 3/4ths of iPhone 3G users have cases on there so makes up for that. What is will making the casing matte black do differently. It would still be Plastic just rubberized if even that, it could of just been a matte black paint.

3. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I know everyone loves the look of the phone without a case on it.. But I have a case on mine with one of those screen protector's on the screen and when I take it out of the case and wipe it off, it still looks brand new... I would have loved to have heard about a matte back, but I guess we should be happy with what we got from apple.

James

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Ue a case, problem solved. You can even get one with a black matte.

For names, I think iPhone V3 sounds better. V3 for Video as well as version and it rhymes, in a way, with 3G.

5. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I was thinking... iPhone 09 DX; iPhone 09 LX; iPhone 09 EX... respectively. :D

I thought 3G-S came from Acura's Type-S, so why not copy Honda's classification. :p

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Yes I'm pissed. I'll just buy a matte black Incase slider.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Use a skin.... but yeah, I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see a matte/metal casing.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think it's not so much the shiny back but the poor build quality of the 3G case.

Why? It's exactly the same case. LOL!

9. mikey28 macrumors 6502

+1
    I really doesn't matter what the back looks like, because I always slap a case on it....

10. ===== macrumors newbie

Incase slider scratched my phone.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't like cases you guys. I just want an iPhone where I can use it without a case and not have to worry about fingerprints getting all over the back of it.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Someone hated the chrome bezel of the original iPhone so he took some sandpaper and gave it a brushed aluminum look (really nice, by the way, and there's a thread of it here with pics). You can always do the same to the shiny back :D

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

The shiny is sooooooooo sexy! omg. I was looking at my blk one a few weeks ago after i clean it up. very attractive phone!

i'm glad they kept it! whew.

14. rugox macrumors regular

You complaining on this board is not gonna make Apple change it. Suck it up and deal with it.

15. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Matte looked WAY too boring (and cheap!)

Shiny is definitely the way to go. Sure the fingerprints and scratches suck but seriously, clean up your iphone 3G and look at it.....like a shiny crystal

In fact I BET you if they used a matte finish it would begin to peel after a while

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Youve heard of the new oil resistant coating right?

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah. Wow. Wouldn't wanna have a discussion about the iPhone on the iPhone forum. Maybe I'm not trying to complain to Apple... I was just wishing for something a little more practical for the iPhone 3G S.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That applies to the screen only. Back is still the same.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats not what I read, but w/e.

20. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Is that on the entire iPhone or just on the front. That's why I wanted to hold one first before considering an upgrade. Has anyone received a 3G S yet to confirm this claim?

21. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

What is this oil resistant coating your speaking of? I haven't heard of this.

22. gibbz macrumors 68030

It is only on the screen most likely. From Apple's site.

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Mine too... :(

I got a replacement today and I'm still debating whether to keep it nude or not... :D

24. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

You know....I got a replacement 3G about 4 months ago due to a screen problem. I haven't used a case on that replacement at all and it's actually LESS SCRATCHED than when I had a case on my previous iPhone 3G....

trying to keep it scratch-less actually scratched it more

go naked!!!

25. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Beyond pissed. It's what's making me not upgrade to 3G S.