Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn0ld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
OK, so I realize that on forums you hear all the bad and none of the good, but these late 2008 MBP's seem like real duds in terms of quality control. Now I'm sure those of you that took the plunge and bought one of these machines will want to rationalize your purchases by claiming that you haven't (yet!) noticed defects but the fact is these laptops have the highest rate of defects of any Macbook in the past 2 years.

This is understandable considering this is the first case redesign in 5 years but unfortunately I don't love Apple enough to be a quality control tester. Between the dead pixels, the loose battery packs, and the defective trackpads, this proves there is a reason to avoid revision A!

I salute you brave souls who have made the leap of faith and gone for revision A, you're testing the waters so the rest of us can enjoy the future of the unibody models! thank you!!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
You would have read maybe a couple of dozen threads on this site about dud notebooks. Apple would have already sold a few hundred thousand units. If they really were that bad, Apple would make a recall. Don't believe everything you read on a forum.

I'm personally waiting for rev B for a couple of reasons;
  • I don't have any money
  • I'm waiting for the AUD to pick up against the USD so prices come down a bit
  • I'm looking forward to being able to use both the GPUs at the same time
  • I don't need a new computer right now

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
He wouldn't be claiming that fact if he owned a first-gen Core Duo MacBook...

Oh man...

Either way, I have one of these new MBP's of course and just really want a Software update to fix some of the clicking issues, that'd be plenty. 10.5.6 should fix any software issues.

bottlerocket

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
I'm a firm believer that these forums are a microcosm of the apple market. Sure, you see only hundreds of threads of users complaining about the product, but if you dig below the surface, beyond each thread's title, you'll read comments of user's complaining how their friends have similar issues and their friends' friends as well. Whether or not all of these issues warrant a recall only Apple knows and time will tell, but one can easily infer from reading in these forums that there has been a significant increase in problems compared to previous releases, and understandably so with a new redesign and all.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
It's always nice to hear an opinion from someone who DOESN'T have one.

I have one and am loving it. Nothing at all wrong with mine. And I am smart enough to notice if something is wrong when looking for it.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I'm a firm believer that these forums are a microcosm of the apple market. Sure, you see only hundreds of threads of users complaining about the product, but if you dig below the surface, beyond each thread's title, you'll read comments of user's complaining how their friends have similar issues and their friends' friends as well. Whether or not all of these issues warrant a recall only Apple knows and time will tell, but one can easily infer from reading in these forums that there has been a significant increase in problems compared to previous releases, and understandably so with a new redesign and all.

I'm a firm believer that these forums are a completely distorted version of reality. When was the last time something along the lines of "well, my friend said..." actually turned out to be right?

If the defect rate was anything like what the threads in this forum show Apple would be losing money hand over fist.

arn0ld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007

my point exactly, it's quite clear that this gen of mb's is fundamentally flawed. But I'm thankful that people on these forums inform the rest of us about the problems so we don't make the same fatal mistake of buying the wrong gen!

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
my point exactly, it's quite clear that this gen of mb's is fundamentally flawed...

No offense, but stupidest conclusion of the day. Fundamentally flawed? Yeah, right. Great to have sweeping conclusions drawn by someone who doesn't have any first hand experience.

mAc-warrior

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
these laptops have the highest rate of defects of any Macbook in the past 2 years.

Could have fooled me. Mine is perfect. I just haven't started a thread to state my opinion on the new MBPs, unlike you. Regardless, no conclusions can be accurately made through viewing a forum, so both our points are moot.

--mAc

arn0ld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
No offense, but stupidest conclusion of the day. Fundamentally flawed? Yeah, right. Great to have sweeping conclusions drawn by someone who doesn't have any first hand experience.

Sure this gen is a step forward aesthetically, but the use of the same cases for both the MB and the MBP negate any reason for going pro (the specs have always been negligibly similar). It's ridiculous that bystanders won't be able to tell the difference between a machine that costs $800 more... you will just end up blending in with the riff-raff! unacceptable for a pro machine.

Factor in the abnormally high rate of out of the box production defects and you will see that my original statement holds true. So much potential of the excellent unibody case wasted... oh well.

mAc-warrior

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
So much potential of the excellent unibody case wasted... oh well.

You are blowing this way out of proportion. It's your opinion, based on what? A few forum posts? There are a vast majority of MBP users out there that don't even know this forum exists. How do we know what their MBPs are like? We don't, so we can't make any valid conclusions.

My MBP is perfect, but what I'm saying is that neither of us are in a position to accurately judge whether the "potential of the excellent unibody case [was] wasted". You simply cannot make conclusions about the quality control of any product by a few forum posts.

--mAc

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Sure this gen is a step forward aesthetically, but the use of the same cases for both the MB and the MBP negate any reason for going pro (the specs have always been negligibly similar). It's ridiculous that bystanders won't be able to tell the difference between a machine that costs $800 more... you will just end up blending in with the riff-raff! unacceptable for a pro machine.

Factor in the abnormally high rate of out of the box production defects and you will see that my original statement holds true. So much potential of the excellent unibody case wasted... oh well.

First of all, what is your source for these 'high rate' of defects? Second, the only people you hear from are those venting, those who have the problems. Very few people come online and make a thread about how much they love their new perfect non-exchanged MB/P.

Granted, there does seem to be a few more complaints, but it doesn't warrant painting the entire new Unibody MBP with such broad negative statements. Doing so instantly labels you as being a troll.

As everyone has already noted, you don't own one. So instead you're complaining about Apple's productline and marketing skills? Or are you really complaining about how the more expensive MBP will be mistaken for a cheaper MB?

eyerot

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
my point exactly, it's quite clear that this gen of mb's is fundamentally flawed. But I'm thankful that people on these forums inform the rest of us about the problems so we don't make the same fatal mistake of buying the wrong gen!
Quite clear?

I have an issue with my new unibody MB 2.4ghz. It's the old NVIDIA 8600m glitch that crippled the last gen MBP's. Notice I said LAST GEN. That was the last rev of one of Apple's longest running models, and there was still a widespread defect.

If you want some flaws to snicker about, you should give your argument a closer look.

firesong

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
People are much more verbal about problems than about how well their laptop works. Plus the new UniBody macs are attracting a lot of eventual switchers, so factor that in too.

I have one of the new UniBody MBPs... Got it on day 1.. It works well, is pretty much flawless, and I've bought APP and 4GB of RAM for it (I bought the 2.4 - didn't see the need to spend on the 2.53) after testing it for 2 weeks without problems.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I salute you brave souls who have made the leap of faith and gone for revision A, you're testing the waters so the rest of us can enjoy the future of the unibody models! thank you!!

I have three revision A machines, iBook, dual Power Mac, and Mac Mini, and two worked out OK.

One revision A (iBook) was superseded by much better machine a few months later for same price. That really stung.

Rev. A buying is risky.

arn0ld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
People are much more verbal about problems than about how well their laptop works. Plus the new UniBody macs are attracting a lot of eventual switchers, so factor that in too.

I have one of the new UniBody MBPs... Got it on day 1.. It works well, is pretty much flawless, and I've bought APP and 4GB of RAM for it (I bought the 2.4 - didn't see the need to spend on the 2.53) after testing it for 2 weeks without problems.

I've already stated several times that I'm aware of the fact that people are more verbal about problems, and you only contradict yourself by stating more personal anecdotes (and who knows if you'll find issues down the road, or if you've simply ignored them to begin with). It's the same routine of sifting through complaints with every revision. But as we all know, with most Rev A models there are a high rate of defects, and unfortunately this gen has been no different. There is undoubtedly a higher than average rate of common, non-isolated issues.

I have three revision A machines, iBook, dual Power Mac, and Mac Mini, and two worked out OK.

One revision A (iBook) was superseded by much better machine a few months later for same price. That really stung.

Rev. A buying is risky.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
but the fact is these laptops have the highest rate of defects of any Macbook in the past 2 years.
You're stating the obvious.

Compare any Rev A to a subsequent prior rev and the Rev A is going to have more defects.

Apple earned its reputation for having rough Rev As many, many years ago. Way before the MB/MBP lines existed.

What you aren't stating is that the Rev A issues now are significantly less impacting than the last Rev A issues in the MB/MBP line. (CPU whine, LCD inverter buzz, excessive heat, random shutdown issue, case cracking, disc-eating SuperDrives).

arn0ld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
You're stating the obvious.

Compare any Rev A to a subsequent prior rev and the Rev A is going to have more defects.

Apple earned its reputation for having rough Rev As many, many years ago. Way before the MB/MBP lines existed.

What you aren't stating is that the Rev A issues now are significantly less impacting than the last Rev A issues in the MB/MBP line. (CPU whine, LCD inverter buzz, excessive heat, random shutdown issue, case cracking, disc-eating SuperDrives).

I absolutely agree, it is obvious. What baffles me is the widespread apprehension at accepting that this gen (like Rev A's of the past) are plagued by widespread issues.

eBrooker

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
[*]I'm looking forward to being able to use both the GPUs at the same time[/LIST]

Is this going to happen? Couldn't they just release a firmware fix for this?

With regards to the OP, most of the problems seem to be fixable via updates - that only leaves defects such as slanted keys and battery covers (dead pixels will always be a risk no matter what screen you get) and so in that case it's just down to odds as you're bound to get some bad un's slip through the net. Depends on how many they've sold how what the % is.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

Wow, a master of logic. So nobody will buy a pro machine since they look too similar? Yup nobody will buy a pro machine with a higher resolution screen, faster processor, firewire, and faster graphics processor because it "looks" too similar to the non-pro machine. :confused:

Yup, nobody would buy a more expensive machine based on functionality

And the failure rate is abnormally high because you say so? I have two machines running perfect so far. But I'm sure I'm either a statistical anomaly or lying.

Glad we had you here to set us right. :rolleyes:

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Don't believe everything you read on a forum.

I'm personally waiting for rev B for a couple of reasons;
  • I don't have any money
  • I'm waiting for the AUD to pick up against the USD so prices come down a bit
  • I'm looking forward to being able to use both the GPUs at the same time
  • I don't need a new computer right now

Should I believe him or not? :confused:

That sort of thing always makes me laugh :)

Hm. I'm hoping revision 2 doesn't suck the way rev. 1 does. . . as in it's .... not fugly. An ATI card would be nice, too... as would Core i7 CPUs, though I don't think those are out till late 09 for notebooks, which is a definite downer.... oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.