Anyone else losing all their folders after every restore?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kriista1234, May 4, 2011.

1. kriista1234 macrumors 6502

Every time I restore I have to manually organize my apps again. It's getting reaaaally tedious.

This happening to anyone else?

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Are you restoring from a backup or restoring as new?

3. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

From a backup.

When I got my iPad2 I had to do it all again, when I upgraded to 4.3.2 I had to do it again, etc..

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All folders work fine when I moved from iPad to iPad 2.

Have you transfer purchases to iTunes?

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Are you letting your apps sync completely after the restore? If you stop the sync mid-way through and then try to sync again your apps won't be organized.

6. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

They sync completely.

And to top it off, if I try to organize them inside iTunes, then hit apply, the all scatter back out...

I'm having to do it manually on the iPad itself, then sync it.

7. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Sorry I am away from my 'sync' machine, but there is a tab on iTunes (after selecting your iPad) where you can arrange the icons. You need to have this turned on to keep your icon arrangement. It is also a lot easier to arrange your icons in iTunes than it is on the iPAd.

8. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I had the same problem so it would be great if someone had a solution.

9. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I generally do, but it seems that after a restore, when there's tons of apps, I spend a good 10 minutes arranging the whole thing, to then hit "apply" and it all goes 'poof' back to where it was.

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

That's exactly what happenned to me. I was about 90% fininshed when my 6 year old decided to press my home button. I resumed the sync bur when it finished my folders were all empty. I thought all my apps were gone until I notice about 6 pages of apps.

11. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

There has to be a better system for storing the info on restore/backup as even interrupting it shouldn't ruin everything. I only have a few dozen apps, but it must be murder if you have 200+ apps or something.

If you could lasso apps in the iTunes organize pane, or grab/select multiple apps on the iPad then it wouldn't be so bad I guess.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I never saw this with mine or my wife's iPad original.

13. HazChem macrumors regular

HazChem

Here's my solution:

After the iPad has performed the restore, go ahead and restore again from back up. This will place all of the apps in their original locations.

I think the reason it doesn't work the first time is because it is having to reinstall all the apps and for whatever reason, it doesn't remember the location of the apps. Once the apps have been reinstalled, performing another restore from back up results in all the apps that are already there being returned to the back up location.

It worked for me this way.

14. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll give that a try next time.

The real killer is that I have it convert mp3s to 128kb and that part of the process takes forever on my old iMac (well over an hour).

So I'd have to sit through that twice.

15. zunairryk macrumors regular

Yep, that's exactly what I do.

16. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you mean restore from backup, then erase and restore from backup again on top of that?

17. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Why do you restore so often?
    The only time I restored from backup was when I switched from iPad1 to iPad2. Otherwise I simply sync.

18. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Firmware upgrades (2-3 times for iPad1, and twice now for iPad2).

Also this is my third iPad2 (first 2 had bleed) so I've had to do this a bunch of times in the last couple of months.

19. gatearray macrumors 65816

I have an old iMac, too, running Leopard. My iPhone restores do the same exact thing you're experiencing on your iPad. Coincidence?

There are some things in iTunes that seem a little broken on my PPC machine, namely, I can no longer "update all" apps, I need to click the button on each individually to update. I think this actually started with iTunes 10.

20. HazChem macrumors regular

HazChem

Yes but without the erasing part. Two restores from back up. Seems and is redundant but that is the only way I was able to get all my folders back.

21. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Just had to do this now for my iPad 1 while updating to 4.3.3. Never had an issue with folders until 4.3.3, but both my iPhone and iPad got messed up big time with this update. Followed the above and everything is back in place, unlike my iPhone which I spent a ridiculous amount of time manually "folderizing" after the update.